Recieved my official diagnosis letter today

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Recieved my official diagnosis letter today

Postby DebiP10 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:44 pm

Just received my letter from the hospital today diagnosing Fibro. It also states a brief history of the chat and examination carried out. It does state he requested blood tests and xrays but i have not received a copy of those results yet nor has he confirmed in the letter he based the diagnosis after seeing these. Rather confused. He has also said in the letter to my Dr that maybe a referral to my local hospital for hydrotherapy should be arranged.

What happens now? Do i just continue seeing my Dr as i am now? Also a comment made which i dont really understand........ systemic enquiry unremarkable?

Thanks for reading this and i must add ive found this forum a massive help over the past 2 weeks since seeing the rheumy and him saying it is fibro. xx
DebiP10
UKFM Member

Re: Recieved my official diagnosis letter today

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:19 pm

DebiP10 wrote:What happens now? Do i just continue seeing my Dr as i am now? Also a comment made which i dont really understand........ systemic enquiry unremarkable?

According to Mr Googly, a Systemic Enquiry is:~
An analysis, investigation, question, problem or finding of a topic where more knowledge could be required. It can also a review of progress to date on a specific objective.

With your systemic enquiry being unremarkable, it would suggest that things were with expected/normal ranges/levels, but to clarify things you could either contact the rheumy for a more specific, detailed explanation, or see if your GP has received info that can give you a suitable explanation.

If you haven't been given a follow~up appt with the rheumy, it would suggest that you have been discharged back into the care of your GP, so you carry on seeing them. Again, if you need/want more clarification, the rheumy or your GP should be able to help.

It's definitely worth seeing about a referral for hydro and/or any other treatments that might be available, such as physio and acupuncture as they may be of benefit to you.

It's nice to hear that you've already found being part of our FibroFamily so helpful, I hope it continues to be so for you :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby DebiP10 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:15 pm

Thank you Fluppy :) im feeling a bit relieved now i know for definate what is wrong. I am going back to my Drs next week as he increased my Gabapention 2 weeks ago and told me to give it 10-14 days to see if the higher dose at night helped with the pain and sleep but it hasnt so back i go to see what else can help.

I will write a list to ask as i find i forget a lot of things i want to say and will definitely mention about the hydrotherapy. I have had physio and acupuncture in the past but sadly neither helped, the physio had me in more pain and the acupuncture knocked me sick and dizzy :( so they had to stop it. The physio i had was for my neck due to nerve compression from worn discs c3-c7 so might be worth a try on the other areas of my body. Im up for trying anything. xx
DebiP10
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:34 pm

DebiP10 wrote:I am going back to my Drs next week as he increased my Gabapention 2 weeks ago and told me to give it 10-14 days to see if the higher dose at night helped with the pain and sleep but it hasnt so back i go to see what else can help.

How long have you been on Gabapentin??? Just asking as, with Gabapentin, the dosage tends to be increased very steadily over a suitable period of time until the required or maximum dosage is reached. As the dosage is increased, so are the levels in your system, which then (hopefully) starts to increase the effects and benefits of the Gabas. For some this can take about a month, whilst for others it can be 2~3 months before a real difference can be felt.

For some, Gabapentin may not be particularly effective or suitable for them. In such situations, there is an alternative that may be more suitable and beneficial.........Pregabalin (also known as Lyrica.) It is very similar to Gabas, and works in the same sort of way on the same sort of signals/electrical activity. When compared to Gabapentin, Pregabalin is sometimes described as the newer, cleaner and more effective version of the med. When you see your GP, it may be worth asking if it might be suitable for you to change to.

Whatever treatments, approaches that could be available to you, it's always worth giving them a try as you never know how they could help you. If you can keep an open mind, and approach them with the idea of getting what/as much as you can from them, it's quite surprising how even the smallest addition to your toolkit can make a difference.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby DebiP10 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:49 am

I started Gabapentin 2nd October2013. From then till December the dose was raised and i was left on 900mg ( 3x 300mg a day) along with tramadol 2 x 50mg 4 times a day. Dr gave me Gabapentin again as 2 years ago when my neck flared up it seemed to work for me but then it was only my neck and what we thought was sciatica at the time that was bothering me. Now im talking and extra 300mg at night ( so 600mg), the rheumy said this is still a low dose and there was plenty of scope to increase up to a maximum of 3400mg per day.

Will definitely mention the Pregabalin to my Dr next week. Hopefully now we have a firm diagnosis we can work to finding the right meds. The rheumy had also mentioned Amatriptiline ( dunno if thats how its spelt) but my Dr said i couldnt take that with the Gabapentin and it would have to be one or the other but as my pain is just as bad during the day as it is at night he didnt want to change me.Just as well i have a nice Dr that i can talk to and not feel intimidated ( hes a young guy who is probably my oldest sons age) so i find him really easy to talk to lol. Do you know much about vitamin D supplements? I was put on Colecalciferol 800u 2 weeks ago but not feeling any different pain wise. I have to get bloods done again at the end of this month to see if my vitamin D level is rising as Dr also said he has to be careful increasing this dosage while on Gabapentin. xx
DebiP10
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:12 am

With there still being room for movement with your Gabapentin dosage, you may find that your GP suggests increasing that first before considering swapping you over to Pregabalin.

Amitriptyline is often used to help manage FM. Altho originally an anti~depressant, it has been found that at lower doses it can help with sleep and pain issues. As to whether it can be taken alongside Gabapentin, things seem to be a bit mixed, with some GPs saying that it is OK to have both together, and some saying that it should be one or the other. From what I've been able to find so far, (I have to be careful and limit my online so I don't end up with even more of a :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: ) the potential interaction between them seems to be classed as a moderate one which may result in increased side effects from them. They cause similar side effects that can impair your thinking and reactions, such as dizziness and drowsiness, so caution needs to exercised when doing anything that requires alertness, if these two medications are combined.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby DebiP10 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:17 pm

Thanks for that info fluppy :) sorry i didnt reply yesterday but ended up having the day from hell and was in agony. Feel a little more comfortable today except for this horrendous headache that wont shift :(
DebiP10
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:23 pm

No need to apologise or worry, just reply when you can. We're all in similar boats (altho mine is a bit pinker than the others :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and understand :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Doctors & Health Services