Pain Clinic

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain Clinic

Postby lala » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Can you please tell me what happens when you first get referred to the pain clinic? Thanks.
lala
UKFM Member

Re: Pain Clinic

Postby elaineann521 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:36 pm

i too am hoping to get refered there i went years ago and having problems as all the medication upsets my stomach so i want to go back to see if they can help me hope it goes well for you
elaineann521
UKFM Member

Postby nicki.72 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:13 pm

Folliwing as Just been referred myself .
nicki.72
UKFM Newbie

Postby pakkacat » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi went to a pain management course last year, it wasn't what i expected it was based on the theory that if you reduce stiffness then you will reduce pain as stiffness causes pain. To some degree this is true but my pain levels didn't go down but if i did get stiff i knew what to do. They teach you how to pace yourself to stop you getting so tired which is great and did help but in the real world you are not able to stop and take breaks like they suggest. They will help you get off your meds if you want and how to reduce your painkillers. I must admit the best bit of advice was how to use your painkillers to there best. It was nice talking to other people with the same problems and we all felt that was very helpful. Hope you get loads out of it and it helps alot. Please let us know how you get on. cAroline
pakkacat
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:59 pm

I've jiffled you all onto here as it's a more suitable board for the topic :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

It seems to differ from area~to~area, even hospital~to~hospital/clinic~to~clinic in how they operate and what services/treatments they offer, so things may be somewhat different where you will be going compared to what others have experienced. Hopefully tho it will give a general idea of how things will go. You can always contact your local pain clinic as well and ask about what they do and what they can offer for some more specific/detailed advice.

When/once you have been referred, you will be contacted about/sent details about the first appt. This will tell you if you need to take anything along with you etc.

The first appt tends to be the assessment to see how the clinic may be able to help. Altho some info will have been sent along with the referral letter, the clinic will quite likely want to go thru previous history with you themselves. Preparing notes beforehand relating to this can be a helpful thing to do as it's all too easy to forget things along the way (altho that can happen with prepared notes as well, as I found out :oops: :oops: :oops: ) It also helps to have someone to go with you, not just for moral support, but also as a prompt/reminder for things you may forget etc.

You will also be asked about meds, as well as your current cocktail, you may be asked about what you have tried previously, how effective it was, dosage, why you came off it etc. There may also be an element of physical examination to see what range of movements you have etc. You may well be asked about any courses/programs you have attended as well, other people you have seen and for what (physio, counselling etc.)

The next bit tends to be going thru what services and treatments they can offer you. This could be additional and/or different meds, counselling/therapy sessions, physio, hydrotherapy, acupuncture, Pain Management Programs, and/or other treatments such as facet joint injections, lidocaine infusions.

And the final part may well involve deciding on/devising a treatment plan. There may be an order in which the clinic works with treatments being rolled out/available to new patients, or you could be asked if you'd had any thoughts about what you might want to try. There may be some aspects, such a pain management course/program that they suggest/like everyone to attend as part of your plan. Once the plan has been agreed, it's a case of waiting for the first session appt to come thru.

Hope my wafflings make a bit of sense, I've just finished my 6 months under Pain Management and found it really helpful. I went into my first session with my mind as open as it could be, and with the sole aim of just getting as much as I possibly could from each stage of the process.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby topcatt72 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:25 pm

I too have been referred to a pain clinic as my docs wont sort my meds out......only prob is i have to wait till 3rd of june 4 my appointment.....could i get my docs or rumie to look at my present meds and sort them till my appointment at pain clinic???
thnx :-) xxx
topcatt72
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:36 pm

I'm not sure if a rheumy will help with reviewing meds topcat :-? :-? They tend to make suggestions for your GP to look into and prescribe. I can't recall any mentions about rheumies issuing prescriptions, but I could be mistaken and there are some that will do it.

With the pain clinic and meds, they tend to work on a similar basis, and will send details about things to be prescribed for your GP to do for you.

You can ask your GP about meds, and have a review of what your current cocktail contains. Sometimes taking a different approach with your GP can get things moving in a better direction.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby elaineann521 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:11 pm

has anyone tried pain patches?i was just wondering as i have a bad stomach been like that all my life so everything i try makes me ill although when i went in to have my gall bladder out last year they gave me codine and i was ok with those but they wont prescribe pain killers that strong or will they?
elaineann521
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:15 pm

There are a few members on here who take codeine, which would suggest that it can can be prescribed quite easily. The best thing to do is ask your GP about it. If they feel that it is suitable for you, there's a good chance it could be prescribed :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:33 pm

elaineann521 wrote:has anyone tried pain patches?i was just wondering as i have a bad stomach been like that all my life so everything i try makes me ill although when i went in to have my gall bladder out last year they gave me codine and i was ok with those but they wont prescribe pain killers that strong or will they?

Your Dr could possibly prescribe a patch. There are different types of pain medications and strengths delivered through a patch. I wear patches. The ones I wear are very strong. I had to be on a high level of opiot medication orally before they were prescribed.

You should discuss patches with your Dr.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby topcatt72 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:00 pm

Thnx fluppypuffy......i will see my docs again.....im on gabapentin and really want 2 come off them as iv read they put weight on and iv been 11st 4 bout a yr and half and cant get below this weight....dosent matter wot or how little i eat :-( its really mackin me more depressed than i am already....
topcatt72
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:52 pm

Gabapentin can cause weight gain, but it doesn't happen with everyone. If you've been on them a while and there hasn't been much of change in your weight, it could be that it may only affected you slightly/mildly :-? :-? :-?

Another thing to consider is what sort of benefits you are getting from the Gaba's. If they make a significant difference to how you feel, and you are able to be more active than with you are without them, you need to determine which is the more important aspect for you. Without them, your weight may change, but your symptoms may start rattling up the scales again. With them, whilst your weight may be a tad over where you feel comfortable at, you may find things that bit easier to manage each day :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: I wish it was a simple, straightforward decision, but like all things FM~related, it is always the complicated way :pull-hair: :scream-1: :too-upset:

Weight issues seem to affect a good number of us unfortunately :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: It goes on far too easily, but when it comes to trying to shift it, it's like you're waging battle alone against all the FibroMinions there are, whilst going uphill backwards, wading thru custard, all at the same time :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

There is a board for weight issues, maybe have a look on there to see if there is anything that might help get you moving in a more downward direction. Or talk to your GP and see if there is a dietician/nutritionist you could see, or if there is something like a free healthy eating/weight loss program in your area.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Doctors & Health Services