GP time

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

GP time

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:23 pm

Just wondering, how often do you see your GP about your FM? How long do you get with them each time?
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Re: GP time

Postby whoami » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:41 am

Funny you ask, LOL I was at the Dr today and we discussed how my visits have gone down since diagnosis.

I was diagnosed 25 years ago after an accident at work. I saw him twice a week for a year, then went to once a week then every two. After about five years it was more like every 6 months. It got to be a yearly visit. Nothing had changed, nothing getting better and my meds were all doing what they could. I have been on the same meds now at the same dose for going on eight years.

Now then, I have to say, I have seen numerous Dr's in that time. I have been in the OR at least 25 times. I have had a stroke and cancer. I also have been admitted due to uncontrollable pain.

We did decide today though that I need to see him at least every 2 months now, of course sooner if there are changes.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:06 pm

During the time before my diagnosis and for about a year afterwards I would see my GP on average once every 3 months as we were going through various treatments, tests etc and he wanted to make sure I was coping ok and see if anything needed tweaking/changing.

My appointment times lasted on average between 15-20 minutes as my GP was quite thorough and very easy to talk to. Our GP Practice does offer double appointment slots for longer if needed too.

About six months ago was the last time I saw him for anything FM related and things were on an even keel with me FM wise. I'd found what worked for me and had my routine and he was happy to see how I was doing. So now my reviews are every 6 months but he has said to go back at any time if I need to.

Also, as I am no longer on prescribed meds (my choice) that doesn't need to be monitored as such. I take over the counter meds as and when and the pharmacists at both my local Tesco and Boots know about my history and are on hand to help me if I need any extra advice.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby HeppiBean » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:38 pm

I was diagnosed just before Christmas and since diagnosis have seen my doctor a grand total of (drum roll) 4 times! I have seen other doctors at the surgery a few times as my gp was "unavailable" but these des were a load of s***... Going in next week and putting my foot down. Something needs to be dobe

Katie. Mummy to 2 with Fibro and HMS.
Sent from my HTC One using TapaTalk.
HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services