Alternative remedies and treatments on prescription?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Alternative remedies and treatments on prescription?

Postby EquineArcher » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:25 pm

Hi all,

I've recently been diagnosed with Fibro and display all the usual symptoms.

I've also recently moved and therefore registered with a new GP.

I haven't yet been started on any of the pharmacotherapies my consultant has recommended (Gabapentin and amitryptilene, excuse any spelling mistakes).

I have had Shiatsu therapy with a local lady for over a year now and I find it really really helps me, combined with herbal remedies and a controlled diet. Read into that what you will.

My question is, have any of you been able to get NHS funded treatments or remedies such as these? The cost of the Shiatsu sessions is crippling (£45 a go!!) and my chosen herbal/natural remedies are also not cheap... And if you have been successful in this, have you been able to choose your practitioner?

I will be asking these questions of my GP of course but I am still waiting for my paperwork to go through.

Thanks!
Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional. You may choose not to suffer even when the pain is there. I am NOT a sufferer of anything!
EquineArcher
UKFM Newbie

Re: Alternative remedies and treatments on prescription?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:00 pm

It's not something that I can recall being mentioned available on prescription, but I could well be wrong/have missed topics about it. You could try using the Search box in the top right corner of each page. It will trawl thru all the older stuff that now resides in the realm of the Dust Bunnies, as well as the newer topics, and throw up anything relating to it. Asking your GP should give you an idea of what could be available.

The cost of alternative approaches always seem to be :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: I can't take them myself, due to the adverse reactions they cause me to experience/suffer. But my doglet is on a couple of such remedies, one of which, altho still rather :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: on the price, is actually cheaper to buy from somewhere who sells them for huu~mons rather than places that sell supposedly canine~only versions (ingredients on the side of both are pretty much equal.

This might be a long shot, but have you tried looking to see if there are any organisations who may help with the costs of such treatments?? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby EquineArcher » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:13 pm

I've read that "certain" practices will process prescriptions for "certain" treatments but that's about it. I did also see somewhere that a patient had gotten NHS funding for her massage sessions which brought the cost down from £60 to £6.

I know it's a long shot though. :(

I tend to have severe adverse reactions to a wide variety of western medicines and I'd really like to avoid this route if I can!
Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional. You may choose not to suffer even when the pain is there. I am NOT a sufferer of anything!
EquineArcher
UKFM Newbie

Postby HazelB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:58 pm

I know in my area the only thing you can get is acupuncture ... But there is no harm in asking xxx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Postby EquineArcher » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Thanks Hazel and FluppyPuffy xx
EquineArcher
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:45 pm

I don't know about the UK and NHS but here in Ontario,
..... if the Dr writes a prescription for some different types of treatments, medication or diet consideration that is not normally covered, private insurance coverage and OHIP ( Ontario version of NHS) will sometimes cover it.

It doesn't hurt to ask your Dr if what you need can be presented to NHS on a prescription , to see if they will cover the cost.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby fibro-lu » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:14 pm

hi,

you could check out
http://www.nhs.uk/Services/hospitals/Ov ... px?id=1820
maybe there are other similar places somewhere else in the country?
if you give them a call they might know where to look

good luck
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby EquineArcher » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:54 am

fibro-lu wrote:hi,

you could check out
http://www.nhs.uk/Services/hospitals/Ov ... px?id=1820
maybe there are other similar places somewhere else in the country?
if you give them a call they might know where to look

good luck

This is great, thanks, I'm 20 minutes from London by train - will definitely be asking my new GP about this place. Thanks x
EquineArcher
UKFM Newbie

Postby fibro-lu » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:22 am

that's great
your GP might not have a clue about that place, mine didn't but he did refer me
you can self refer yourself

I went there for autogenic training, but couldn't complete it - was too much travel for me at the time
I know they do acupuncture, acupressure etc and have "drop in healing sessions"
they actually do more than they say they do on the www

I go now to a Chinese masseur a few houses down the street
do pay for the acupressure but have a deal: "pay 10 get 13"
maybe your shiatsu person is willing to do you a deal?
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby carolad » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:28 pm

I think the problem with getting acupuncture (or any pain relief treatment) on the NHS is that it is only for a short time. I saw an NHS physio years ago for back pain - she tried a few different things which didn't help and then tried acupuncture - and that did help. But I only got 5 sessions and then I was discharged. They aren't interested in long term pain relief, if they can't 'cure' you, they don't want to know :( I suppose it's cheaper just to dole out the drugs instead...

I have found acupuncture to be very helpful since then too - I saw a Chinese practitioner for a while and my current physio uses acupuncture, along with other techniques.

Unfortunately though, I think you end up paying for all the 'alternative' treatments yourself in the long run.
carolad
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services