Should I see another doctor?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Should I see another doctor?

Postby MrSunshine » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:05 pm

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia this week by a GP. However, he then informed me that there is no available treatment for the condition so there was nothing he could do for my pain. I'm wondering if this is true as I have read various content about potential medication to help with Fibromyalgia?

The GP told be the pain I have is most probably due to low mood and if the mood improves the pain will go or ease. The thing is, I've was born with a neurotic-depressive condition so low mood is nothing new, in fact it's something I accept as my norm, but the increasing levels of pain and muscular sensitivity have only really become an real issue over the past 18 months, although I've had a L1 vertebrae problem for 8 years but that's an unrelated issue. The pain levels have increased and the affected areas have increased over the past few months but a recent episode of double-depression only raised its head about 1 months ago so I refuse to accept low mood is the cause of my pain.

In essence, what the GP said was that Fibromyalgia is basically a side-effect of depression. I've only recently been diagnosed but I can't see how that is true or else why have I not suffered the condition during other periods of low mood? Hmmm.

Should I be looking a doctor with better knowledge of Fibromyalgia?

I'm not sure medicinally what option I have anyway as I already take Tramadol for my back (used to be morphine). I was on Venlafaxine and Propananol for Dysthymia but stopped taking both 2 weeks ago. I've now been put on Prozac and the GP wanted me to go back on Amatryptaline, which I took to help me sleep better, but I refused as it makes me too groggy in a morning. So as far as medications go, I accept I may already be on suitable meds (although given for mood and unrelated pain) but I'm not confident this GP will be helpful in helping with any Fibromyalgia issues I may have.
MrSunshine
UKFM Newbie

Re: Should I see another doctor?

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:23 pm

yes. Your doctor is an idiot. FM is NOT a mental condition, it's physical and very probably nervous system related. I have no mental health issues and am physically as fit as a fiddle apart from being in constant pain and shattered all the time.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby MrSunshine » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks, you've confirmed what I thought about him!

He did say I need to exercise more as that will help with the pain....I told him I'd love to but it was the pain, fatigue and my back problem that stopped me from doing as much exercise as I wished. He wasn't a very helpful man.
MrSunshine
UKFM Newbie

Postby cdcrossy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:15 pm

hi sorry to hear someone else who also has a doc with no clue I've had more docs than good days and only 1 ever knew about fibro and could not have that doc when i moved out of the area but the best is when u go the docs now with anything u will be told its fibro related ( go with no leg its the fibro haha) i just demand a more experienced doc when making appointments and try to read up the problem before going the docs as then u can argue your case instead of being rushed threw for your 10mins appointment
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Hi! Some may not agree with what I am saying here, but these are things I have learned over the 25 years of dealing with fibro.

Your Dr was not completely wrong, he just needs to learn a little more about fibro. Depression, does have something to do with fibro.

I am not the greatest at explaining things but think of a circle, around that circle is pain, sleep, depression, fatigue and the variety of symptoms we experience.

We can start the circle anywhere but each symptom feeds another, example....pain = lack of sleep = fatigue. = concentration problems =depression and so on. Fibro is a name for the group of symptoms we have.

So your Dr is right in saying, helping your depression will help your fibro. It will not eliminate it completely but one symptom may be made less or gone.

Exercise will help, it increases your serotonin levels, which help with sleep and depression. The thing is to learn to do as much or as little as you can. Baby steps, push yourself but know when to stop. Even the tiniest bit will help and we can increase very slowly or reach a plateau.

Your Dr needs to be educated a little more about helping to control symptoms. He is thinking since there is no cure there is no help. There are many treatments for fibro along with medication.

I would ask your Dr to refer you to someone who is knows about fibro. A pain clinic or a rhuemy can help.

Don't despair, there is help. It can take a while but you can find a treatment that will give you a level of peace. Not a cure but you will be able to live your life with control of some symptoms.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby zappa20 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:03 pm

MrSunshine wrote:Thanks, you've confirmed what I thought about him!

He did say I need to exercise more as that will help with the pain....I told him I'd love to but it was the pain, fatigue and my back problem that stopped me from doing as much exercise as I wished. He wasn't a very helpful man.

If we don't use our muscles not only do they stiffen and shorten but become tight and lose elasticity causing pain when used for even a short time. Gentle stretching exercises can really help with this. Also when in pain we tend to subconsciously tense our shoulders and other groups of muscles causing that heavy stiff pain which can be too painful to even massage.

A referral to the Pain clinic or to Fibro course by a Rheumatoligist as Whoami suggested is very good advice.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services