Well, it's official.

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Well, it's official.

Postby Davesmum » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:48 pm

Dr officially diagnosed me with fibromyalgia today. He said that it had always been in a back of his mind, but due to all my other broken bits he wasn't 100% sure.
Until now.
I've come home with gabapentin (?) which should be interesting, hopefully will help(fingers crossed)
Dunno what to do now... Lol
Davesmum
UKFM Member

Re: Well, it's official.

Postby emmafifema » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi,
Although FM is a horrible thing to have at least you have the diagnosis and can stop thinking you're going crazy lol. I was diagnosed a few months ago but due to other problems have been taking gabapentin for over a year now.....it does help! Lots of people don't like to take it because of the side effects it can have but the only one I've had is the limb twitches - which actually is a symptom of FM so who knows lol.
Not a whole lot you can do really just see how the meds work for you and if they don't ask for a referral to pain management as they may be able to help you further x
emmafifema
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:29 pm

I've moved you into here with you posting about Doctors and being dx'd.

Gabapentin is often used in trying to manage FM. Have you been started off on a fairly low dose which needs to be increased over a period of time???

Don't be surprised if you don't feel any real benefits for a while. It needs time to build up in your system, which is why the dosage is gradually increased until you reach the level you have been prescribed. For some, benefits may be felt after about a month, for others it can take longer, with some saying it was 3 months before before they made a difference.

With it being an anti~convulsent rather than a pain killer, it works in a different way, which is thought to involve reducing the electrical hyperactivity in the brain that sends the pain messages/sensations shooting around the body.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby bouncer0304 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:26 pm

I tried it but unfortunately all it did was make me feel very drowsy and like i'd had half a bottle of whisky which was no good while i was volunteering. The last straw came when i was really disorientated in my own home and i felt frightened. Spoke to my doctor who agreed that it was doing me no good especially since i was starting to feel down all the time. I also found no difference in pain level either so it wasn't worth wasting NHS money on it. Now waiting for the pain assessment clinic but in my local area, since it's not a permanent unit, i may be waiting until July to see someone. Then again, my uncle has been waiting a year and still no date yet. Hopefully it'll work for you and give you some relief :-)
bouncer0304
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:34 am

It might take some time for it to take effect so dont be disappointed if it doesnt start to help straight away.
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Davesmum » Thu May 01, 2014 4:40 pm

Thankyou all for your replies, have started Dr had me start on 100gab daily, then after a week up to 200,then 300 and then I have an appointment to see how I'm getting on with them.
Should I take the dose together or spread throughout the day?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
Davesmum
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu May 01, 2014 4:51 pm

From what has been said on here about Gabapentin, the dosage seems to be split up and taken regularly thru the day. If you're unsure, you could speak to either your GP or your local pharmacist and see what they have to say/suggest.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Fri May 02, 2014 11:37 pm

I would imagine spread throughout the day would give maximum effect time wise :?: :?: As Flup has said check just to be sure, just a thought does it not say on the label the pharmacist has put onto the box :?: :?: :?: :?:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services