Not sure if wife has fibro now? Comments on diagnosis..

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Not sure if wife has fibro now? Comments on diagnosis..

Postby paulfoel » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:47 am

carolad wrote:
paulfoel wrote:
Hi Theresa - Well the consultant has made a bit of an effort to look at the trigger points but not a great deal. Its generally been a very poor experience with the NHS (once again it must be said!). Shes got an appt with the consultant coming up (this will be 3rd one plus one where we paid privately to see him first) and still no definites from him - time to start hassling him a bit I think to pull his finger out.

I've had the same poor treatment from the NHS, I'm very disillusioned with our Health Service now! I hate this 'vagueness' that a lot of the Consultants have - the Rheumatologist I saw privately (supposedly one of the top ones) was a complete idiot :roll: He waffled on about 'muscular rheumatism' and 'non restorative sleep' and mentioned fibromyalgia in passing. Then tested me for a number of things and in the end said I had scoliosis (I already knew that...) And that was it. Then my GP told me that he had diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia as well as confirming the scoliosis!!

So don't take any nonsense from this consultant, push him to get something definite out of him. Good luck with it :) By the way, your wife is very lucky that you are fighting her corner and being so supportive :)

Thanks Carolad. Yeh even though its now confirmed, consultant is very weird.
She says she cant do this, that etc. His attitude is to just shrug his shoulders and say, yes expected.

Yes I am fighting her corner - she hasnt got the energy at the moment. After all, shes got my tea to cook, and the ironing to do ;-)
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:49 pm

paulfoel wrote:

Yes I am fighting her corner - she hasnt got the energy at the moment. After all, shes got my tea to cook, and the ironing to do ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:17 pm

paulfoel wrote:Well, looks like deffo Fibro now. Consultant is not the best and seems to be saying 'oh well, at least you havent got any sort of arthritis'.

Wife tried amtryptilene but didnt get on with it. After two weeks, she just felt fuzzy and that was a VERY low dose. Latest is gabapentin. so far so good on that.

Just 100Mg 3x a day which I think is a pretty low dose?

When I was put on 100mg three times a day my rheumy told me it was a low dose x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:50 am

I think the problem is the consultants do not have all the answers and they do not really have any solutions for Fibromyalgia. So unless there is something abnormal in the tests (i.e. evidence of inflammation or xray showing arthritis) then there isn't a lot they can offer, other than pain management.

If your wife has a lot of pain then a pain management clinic might be able to help.... but then again a good GP can do a lot of pain management medications too. Gabapentin and Pregabalin are both popular for pain.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby paulfoel » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:12 pm

MPSGuy wrote:I think the problem is the consultants do not have all the answers and they do not really have any solutions for Fibromyalgia. So unless there is something abnormal in the tests (i.e. evidence of inflammation or xray showing arthritis) then there isn't a lot they can offer, other than pain management.

If your wife has a lot of pain then a pain management clinic might be able to help.... but then again a good GP can do a lot of pain management medications too. Gabapentin and Pregabalin are both popular for pain.

WIfe started Gabapentin a week ago.
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Doctors & Health Services