Understanding MRI results

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Understanding MRI results

Postby kazisedso » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:33 pm

Hello all,

I received my MRI results on weds whilst having my latest set of trigger point injections which included botox this time :yikes:

Anyway ,my consultant went through them really quickly and said oh you have got dehydrated discs, a disc bulge that is pressing on a nerve, but not too much and also you have arthritis in your facet joints so i am very willing to refer you to my colleague to have facet joint injections, this is probably what is causing all of your back pain. ( trust me it's bad!! can barely stand at times)

She then gave me a copy of my MRI results and a leaflet explaining very briefly what is involved with facet injections :yikes: :yikes: .

I have tried to read the MRI results but it is not in laymen's terms and i think my consultant has covered everything by what she said, but i'm just curious to know what the terminology means.

does anyone understand MRI speak lol and could you possibly tell me what it all means.
MRI results are as follows:

MRI spine lumbar/sacral

Normal vertebral height and alignment.
Mild loss of disc hydration is seen at L4/5 and L5/S1

A left Shallow foraminal disc bulge is touching the exiting left L5 nerve root but causing no appreciable compression.( right mouthful init!)
No further Neural compromise.
spinal cord and cauda equina normal
There is Moderate facet arthropathy at L4/5 level as well as the left L5/S1
No pars defects.

I would be very grateful if anyone could translate the above (lol) although i feel sure that the consultant did tell me everything.

Thank you in advance.
Karen :-)
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Re: Understanding MRI results

Postby denys » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:30 pm

Means your spine is straight and you havent lost any height, a couple of the discs in your lumbar region (Lower back) and Sacrum (where the spine connects to the hips) are a bit dry so the discs are bulging. The bottom one is touching a nerve but not really squashing it so it shouldnt be causing you many problems.

Your spinal cord is OK and the cauda which is connected to the cord is also OK you have a bit of scaring (not sure if this is the right way of describing it) which indicates some arthritis. Depending on your age this could be just age related

hope it helps :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Re: Understanding MRI results

Postby kazisedso » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks Denys appreciate that.

I can also remember now Consultant did say that maybe the way I was laying, meant that the nerve didn't look too compressed, as I am in constant agony and get sciatica a lot.
Also, most of my back pain is on the right yet the disc is bulging to the left!? Strange.

Just glad I know what's going on, and although it's extremely painful, there is nothing sinister.

Karen
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services