Back brace or support prescribed on NHS?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Back brace or support prescribed on NHS?

Postby cocobella » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:11 am

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well as you can be. I saw my rheumatology physio yesterday. I have been receiving physio for years and the past 3 months I have had severe neck pain to the point where I feel I can't hold my head up (yes my head is so big haha). Anyway she noticed I have a curve at the top of my spine, below my neck. I have noticed this myself and have noticed my posture just isn't the same anymore. 3 stone weight gain probably doesn't help and a large chest doesn't help either!!! ha. I am quite tall so I tend to carry my excess weight well, however I have always been very top heavy. The physio said with that and my job at a desk it is making my posture bad. She said the best thing for me would be to wear a back brace and there are special types that you wear under clothing. I looked them up and for a good quality one they are about £40!! What I would like to know is can you get these prescribed on the NHS? For someone who only works part-time and receives no benefits £40 is quite a lot!!!

At the moment it is ibuprofen and deep heat constantly!!!

Also update on my PIP claim, it is at appeal stage and I have a solicitor involved via legal aid. (nightmare).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

HUNCHBACK Coco x
cocobella
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services