How can you believe in CFS but not Fibro?!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: How can you believe in CFS but not Fibro?!

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:23 pm

..:: lisa ::.. wrote:I just had a thought, do you think this man believes in cfs because it can sometimes be traced back to a viral infection?

Please some one correct me if I've got confused, I know some people see chronic fatigue syndrome and M.E as two separate disorders, but were they once the same thing?

Quite possibly, he did seem to be angling towards it starting from a virus. Despite me telling everyone, more than once, that there was nothing wrong with me when all this started.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Re: How can you believe in CFS but not Fibro?!

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:29 pm

*Lisa* wrote:I would put in a complaint because what he personaly believes in should not effect his work. Whether or not he thinks fibro is real or not is irelavent. He should be treating you for the illnesses/conditions hes been asked to do whether or not he thinks its real.

This attitude is not professional. The OT is there to help you with aids and adaptions and anything else that you may need. Hes not qualified to say what he thinks!

Just because hes seen loads a people with a certain illness does not qualify him to make a diagnoses/make you think you have something. If he had any concerns over your health he should be discussing this with your GP/Consultant.

Again any professional would not call you "plump"!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

You can feel and see my fibro. My main symptom is stiffness. You can feel how tight and tense all the muscles are, feel them in spasm and one nurse commented on my walking saying she could see i had fibro because of how stiff i walk.

The dentist can feel the tightness in my jaw and neck and as a result i have many a time been told he cannot treat me as i cannot open my mouth wide enough :shock:

When i was in an ATOS medical he asked me to turn my neck. As i tried it made a loud CRUNCH :yikes: same with when he asked me to move my legs my knees cracked then also :yikes:

..:: lisa ::.. wrote:I just had a thought, do you think this man believes in cfs because it can sometimes be traced back to a viral infection?

Please some one correct me if I've got confused, I know some people see chronic fatigue syndrome and M.E as two separate disorders, but were they once the same thing?

M.E can be traced back to a viral infection like glandular fever. CFS is persistant fatigue that may not come from a virus but from chronic conditions like fibro as the body is constantly fatigued from fighting pain. Just my personal opinion there.

Nowadays CFS and ME are classed as 1 illness but they can differ slightly. M.E is when you cannot get out of bed, need help with drinking and eating etc..as your too weak with fatigue to do anything. Your bedbound most of the time and can barely move from weakness and all over body aches which is mainly in the joints like knees and elbows

CFS is when you get drained and weak and tired after doing the slightest of activities and tasks. You have days where your in bed and days where you can manage things. You do get the aches and headaches and all over body exhaustion. With M.E its more severe (apparently)

Again this is my personaly opinion. May not be correct.

This OT needs a :face-slap:

Hi Lisa (two posters with the same name is confusing!!).

To be fair to him, I don't yet have any kind of diagnosis, so I suppose from this pov he had to guess at something in order to answer the questions from work, like whether I come under the DDA/EA. He couldn't possibly have made any suggestions on what to do for the best until he applied some kind of diagnosis. I am definitely going to report back to my manager though, as he wasn't helpful in coming up with adaptations for me.

Also being fair, his reports are normally very good and very helpful. When he has a confirmed diagnosis he is a lot better.

He is not an OT (are you thinking Occupational Therapist?), he is an Occupational Health doctor. An OH Doctor has a somewhat different role from a 'normal' doctor.

I personally was unhappy with the word plump, but he was trying to not offend. He didn't know I'd prefer the medical term, I suspect some other people might have preferred his word!

Thanks for the clarification on the difference between ME and CFS, I didn't realise there was one. Sounds like if you are right I'm more likely to have CFS as nothing 'caused' it.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Previous

Return to Doctors & Health Services