Dentist

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Dentist

Postby keaedmondson » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:03 am

Hi, I hope I am posting this on the right place – please feel free to move if necessary!

I want to say thanks really. I don't post often but I do read and I saw a couple of threads in associated health problems about teeth TMJ etc. Since being diagnosed with FM and going to the dentist a couple of times afterwards, I had got quite paniced about the idea. I haven't been for the last couple of years because I was scared. The potential pain, the sensitivity to light, the risk of having other conditions I don't know everything! I just kept putting off making an appointment making up excuses!

I knew I had to make an appointment soon! But I probably would have put it off for ages! Until I got tooth and jaw pain a couple of weeks back. I thought it was an infection although it disappeared after a day or so and became sporadic and intermittent although still painful! Reading on here made me feel a little better and I did make an appointment. I went earlier in the week and although I now have a totally new and different dentist. It was really good… If you can say that about dentist!

She seemed to have a really good knowledge of FM, and what it might mean for me. She was really aware of any pain I might be in, e.g. teeth cleaning etc! I do have difficulties with my jaw and my jaw muscles, which she noticed, we did talk about my grinding my teeth, she found the tenderness of my glands etc.

I thought she might give me a guard for my teeth at night but she said she was reluctant to do this yet. She said I needed to have a diet of soft food for the time being trying for the next two months perhaps, to see if things got better with my jaw and if I could get my muscles to get a bit of rest which they weren't at the moment! She told me to take anti-inflammatories if the pain was to bad. Actually that does help it sometimes. Randomly! As it doesn't usually!

Although I left really shaky and feeling unwell, because of the anxiety beforehand I think really. I felt like I had been listened to. There were no other problems that I need to deal with and that was a major hurdle! Having not been for two years it could've been serious! But apparently not. She didn't talk about operations or anything really scary like my previous dentist. She is just really positive and nice and awear! More aware than my GP I think!

And that is thanks to you guys on here really, because of the things I was able to read. Knowing I was not alone with my problems and also that there are some dentist out there who are really good!
Thanks! Hope to return the favour sometime!
XX
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split larger paragraph into smaller ones for easier reading.
keaedmondson
UKFM Member

Re: Dentist

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:24 am

keaedmondson wrote:And that is thanks to you guys on here really, because of the things I was able to read. Knowing I was not alone with my problems and also that there are some dentist out there who are really good!
Thanks! Hope to return the favour sometime!
XX

You've started doing that with what you have said here :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: With finding yourself in situation where you really needed to go to the dentist, you've managed to get hold of the fears and anxieties you had and push them to one side to get the help you needed. And with doing that, you've discovered that there is actually a whole lot less to be worried about happening, which is always a good thing, and will hopefully mean that when you're due for your next appt, you will be a lot less worried about it :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

There are many people who have fears and worries about going to the dentist, both with and without additional illnesses and problems. Altho things are completely different these days in the way a patient is treated compared to the days which gave rise to the horror stories and nightmares about the size of needles and drills etc, the fear that it grew seems to still be passed on, almost like it has become part of our DNA/genetic make~up. Hearing how you have gone on tho will hopefully mean that others will find the strength, as you did, to push those fears aside and take their spot in the dentist's chair for a much less horrifying experience than they were expecting/anticipating :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Doctors & Health Services