So Angry - What do I do next..complain?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

So Angry - What do I do next..complain?

Postby clairbear » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:20 am

Hi All,

I'm so angry right now I could cry. I think I need to complain about this Consultants attitude but don't know whether it is worth my while, does anyone ever get anywhere complaining against the NHS?

I have just been to see the Orthopaedic consultant about my back injury which triggered my Fibromyalgia.
This is my first visit to see a "Consultant" as for 2 years I have been refused a consultant as the orthopaedic team tried to deal with it themselves, however after the 2nd Caudal Epidural you need to see a Consultant before they will allow you anymore treatment.

His first comment was - "You're Fat" therefore this is what is wrong with your back.
It seemed irrelevant to him that up to the point where I injured my back I was not overweight.
After a discussion about previous joint injuries (not related to what I had come in for)he decided they were all caused by my weight
(I had a serious car accident that caused 2 permanent disabilities in 2000...but yes Mr Consultant of course I crashed my car because I'm overweight not because an idiot drove into me!!)
and the fact I argued that despite losing nearly 4 stone this year I'm not feeling any better - that didn't matter, he wasn't willing to listen.

His second comment was "You didn't injure yourself, picking up a box, it's just circumstantial" How on earth after 2 years and never seeing me can he come up with this assumption?
His analogy was "Well you pick up 20kg of luggage when you go on holiday, so why would a box be any different?"
My response:
1. Not knowing the box was that heavy I didn't know until I lifted it that it was too heavy for me,
2. Since hurting my back I haven't been able to go on holiday as I can't even carry a rucksack,
2. I have NEVER picked up a suitcase from the floor and carried it in my arms, ever - what kind of analogy is that?

He wouldn't tell me my latest MRI results and referred back to my MRI 2 years ago saying 40% of people who live near me have the same condition but do not "moan" about it. I told him about the loss of sensation in my groin, down my right leg and the pins and needles but again, not interested because if I exercised those things would go away?

I was seething already and now at this point already ready to leave but he tapped the final nail in the coffin.

Finally before telling me he didn't want to do a discectomy etc... (which he could have come outright and said) he said
"Oh it says here you have Fibromyalgia - well thats just a condition where you get little aches and pains that don't' mean anything too!"
At this point I switched off before I exploded - told him I wanted to see a pain consultant for my caudal epidural and left, disgusted in what I had just heard.

How dare he just dismiss my illness and Fibromyalgia as "little aches and pains" I told him I'm left bed bound, that I can't and will not live the rest of my days out on heavy medication and he just dismissed it as "mind over matter"

At this moment I want to drop a blunt instrument heavily on his head and tell him "Its mind over matter" but I'm sure that won't help.

Do I complain - Do I go back to the G.P and discuss this with them?
Please help / advise guys as I don't know what to do.

Thanks
Last edited by clairbear on Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clairbear
UKFM Member

Re: So Angry - What do I do next..complain?

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:56 am

Sorry to hear you had an awful time.

I would complain. Firstly i would visit the GP and tell them everything so its all logged down. Then i would report it to the GMC see here http://www.gmc-uk.org/ or PALS see here http://www.uclh.nhs.uk/pandv/helpandsup ... /Home.aspx

I would also ask the GP for another referal to a different consultant.

I am very used to my weight being a cop out in many situations so i know how you feel. They always ask do you smoke? drink? as well to use that!

I have just recently lost 4 stone myself and i am in just as much pain and the muscles are just as stiff and spasm and strain as much as before.

I also was diagnosed with degenerative and bulging discs which have not improved with weight loss.

:goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby dazzleship » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:34 pm

hi first of all :hugs:

so sorry to hear what you have been through - what an idiot consultant! :twisted: I would definitely complain, he has no right to speak to you like that.

I too am overweight and always worry that it will be blamed for all my ills - yes it can have an effect on our health but not everyone who is overweight has problems caused by it. and not all problems we have are caused by being overweight.

please try not to take what he said to heart - he sounds like an awful person who shouldn't be in the practice of medicine as he certainly isn't the caring sort by any means. by the sounds of things your weight is not relevant to why you were visiting him so he should not be picking up on it.

like I said - complain. you most certainly will not be the only one he has been rude to, perhaps your complaint will be the tip of the iceberg with all the other complaints he is sure to have.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:10 pm

Yup complain as Lisa has suggested to PALS, you have the right to see another consultant and again I would push your GP for this too :goodluck1: I hope it goes well
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby clairbear » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:39 am

Thanks Guys,

I'm in the process of writing a complaint - had to give myself time to calm down.
Back at the G.P's tomorrow to fill them in, boy I'm sure he's going to love this 10 minutes of his life!

Will let you all know how it goes.

Clair x
clairbear
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:06 pm

clairbear wrote:
He wouldn't tell me my latest MRI results and referred back to my MRI 2 years ago saying he thought it was normal for a 33 year old to have 3 degenerative discs but one so bad it had bulged and not repaired. Apparently 40% of people who live near me have the same condition but do not "moan" about it. I told him about the loss of sensation in my groin, down my right leg and the pins and needles but again, not interested because if I exercised those things would go away?

I was seething already and now at this point already ready to leave but he tapped the final nail in the coffin.

Finally before telling me he didn't want to do a discectomy etc... (which he could have come outright and said) he said
"Oh it says here you have Fibromyalgia - well thats just a condition where you get little aches and pains that don't' mean anything too!"

You need to get a 2nd opinion from an orthopaedic consultant. Preferably one who will take the time to explain things to you.

Your post isn't that clear in how an accident at work has caused your condition. But the consultant is correct in saying that thousands of people are walking about with prolapsed discs who don't even know they have then, as not everyone will experience pain from them. Unless the discs start to inflame the nerve root or impinge it. Your 2nd MRI will have shown whether this has happened or not and extent of it.

I've prolapsed discs and bone spurs between C5/C6 which aren't impinging the nerve and knew nothing about them because it doesn't cause me any problems. Meanwhile prolapsed discs in lumbar region are squeezing the spinal cord and can cause me sciatica etc if I'm not careful. But it doesn't bother me too normally much to be honest unless I'm careless, which is often the case even with nerve impingement as the body is very clever and heals itself when they get inflamed.

If the 2nd MRI has shown no nerve impingement, it's fairly safe to assume it's Fibro which is causing the nerve disturbances and pain in your legs, as it can cause widespread nerve pain etc in several area whether injured or not, and moves from one area to another.

Ask your GP for the results of the 2nd MRI and take things from there.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby clairbear » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:48 pm

You need to get a 2nd opinion from an orthopaedic consultant. Preferably one who will take the time to explain things to you.
Your post isn't that clear in how an accident at work has caused your condition. But the consultant is correct in saying that thousands of people are walking about with prolapsed discs who don't even know they have then, as not everyone will experience pain from them. Unless the discs start to inflame the nerve root or impinge it. Your 2nd MRI will have shown whether this has happened or not and extent of it.

I'm not for one moment doubting the Consultants knowledge of how many people suffer or do not suffer with prolapsed discs I'm angry at the way he spoke to me and his attitude towards me and Fibromyalgia - it certainly isn't just "aches and pains."

My recent MRI (following a call to my physiotherapist) shows further degeneration of L3 & L5 but a permanent disc bulge into my spinal cord at the point of L4. The MRI 2 months ago showed no nerve impingement, however the bulge is "rubbing" the nerves at L4 so the physio states there is a chance that I will occasionally aggravate it which will inflame it and make symptoms worse.

I don't want surgery, in fact I didn't want to see a Consultant- the only reason I had to see the consultant was because my PCT will not allow Pain Management referrals and further Caudal Epidurals to take place without going through a Consultant first.

He may of thought I was a waste of time and that's fine, I didn't want to be one of the 24 people he saw that morning, but don't be rude.
Argue with the people that implement these stupid systems that create his inconveniences, don't take it out on people who just have to follow the rules.

It would have been common decency to explain and suggest things that may help. I was asking questions and he just up'd and walked out like it wasn't his problem - no surgery - not his problem.
Last edited by clairbear on Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clairbear
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:50 pm

Wouldn't disagree that many consultants have a very off hand and arrogant manner, both with their patients and their staff.

However don't suggest you don't let that annoyance overtake the credibility of your medical file. As an example if I worked on the side of your firm fighting your industrial claim, I would suggest if you already had a bulging disc, then it could easily have been damaged by you simply picking up a letter you dropped, and it was just chance it happened lifting that box.

Depends which battle is more important to you. Just my opinion.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby Chickenosaurus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:15 pm

He sounds horrible! :evil:

Can I suggest that you have a good look through any policy that you can get your hands on from your local hospital and health service/trust/PCT thingy or whatever they're called - they might be online or you may have to ask for them. Have a good look at them (they're deadly boring!) But there should be sections on how you should be treated with respect and actively involved in the discussion of your treatment etc.

Here in Scotland we have the Charter of Patient Rights and Responsibilities; which is the basic 'rules' and each health board will follow them - they may have their own leaflets or booklets. Find any bits that look useful e.g. ‘You have the right to give feedback, make
comments, or raise concerns or complaints about the health care you receive.’ The Charter of Patient Rights and Responsibilities 2012
- so that starts you off with the fact you're more than entitled to make a complaint.

Then quote bits back at them e.g. 'You have the right to be treated as an individual and with dignity and respect' and list what he said (preferably direct quotes) and describe the way he said it and how it made you feel.

It might also be worth having a quick Google of his name & department to see if there's anyone else online who has complained about him/ treatment at that department. Don't mention any of this in your complaint - but it may give you an idea of what has been raised previously and should not have happened again! Good luck and I hope you get someone reasonable next time!
Chickenosaurus
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services