My GP thinks I am mental !!!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

My GP thinks I am mental !!!

Postby Tel1 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi All...... I changed GPs a little while ago as I wanted the surgery to be nearer to me, and also I use to use this GP before
and all was well in previous times.... Long story short, I have been to him a couple of time recently and I have mentioned
about what I get... you know the pains, aches, tiredness, feeling generally not 100%.... and I said to him, this is all my
Fibro symptoms? and he said well that diagnosis is just garbage can diagnosis .... I though to myself, here we go again!!:)

He went on to say, that after all the blood tests that I have had over the last 5 years, you have never had an HIV test!!!
I said to him I had one of those 22 years ago and I said never again would I go through that!! he said well you should have
a test really because of your lifestyle... I said Lifestyle!!??? what lifestyle...?? I then said are your saying that you think I
am a whore and a tart? he said, no but all your other hundreds of different blood tests over the years have all come back
normal... so I said, yes thank god.

Anyway I turned down his offer of this HIV blood test..... however over the weekend he really made me mix confidence with doubt and last Monday I went to the hospital on my own accord and had it done. the next day, the hospital phoned me and said everything was all normal....I saw the GP a couple of days ago and said, for your information I have been for that test.... and he said, oh yes so you have... and I said everything was normal wasn't it!! and he said, well yes that's good..

so I then said are you going to believe me about all my symptoms now that I have got Fibro and these terrible symptoms are Fibro... and he said, well, I suppose it could be, but he went on to say that Fibro is a diagnosis to keep people quiet and it gives them a label for their constant moaning!! With that I thought... ok ok ok, Idon't think I will be coming back here again......

Suffice to say everyone.. isn't it outrageous that half the medical profession just trun their noses up at the world Fibromyalgia.... I think something NEEDS to be put straight one way or the other otherwise we will all be looked at as potential health freaks... which I seem to think is going on especially with GPs in general all over the UK....

I am SO mad inside as two rheumatologist diagnosed me with Fibro in Dec 2012 and march 2013.....I am going to write to David Cameron which I have done on a number of occasions for other issues, and he always replies to me... so this time I am going to really tell him to pass on whatever I say to him to the health minister..... lets see what happens
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split larger paragraph into smaller ones for easier reading.
Tel1
UKFM Member

Re: My GP thinks I am mental !!!

Postby daisyp59 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:47 pm

Your tale makes me realise how lucky I am with the GPs at my local surgery. They are all really helpful and are willing to try different things to help me. I am aware that there is some scepticism out there as to whether Fibro is a real diagnosis, but with the number of people who have the condition, all showing the same or similar symptoms, there should be something done to make sure it is an accepted diagnosis universally. I wish you luck in finding a supportive GP x
daisyp59
UKFM Member

Postby Marky Fibro ME » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:59 pm

Blimey Tel1. Thats disgraceful behaviour from your GP. Never mind writing to the prime minister, you should be reporting your GP!!!
Fibromyalgia IS a REAL condition. The term "fibromyalgia" derives from New Latin, fibro-, meaning "fibrous tissues", Greek myo-, "muscle", and Greek algos, "pain"; thus the term literally means "muscle and connective tissue pain". Its an undeniable condition but the cause/causes are not fully understood. Your doctor needs a lesson in medical terminology at the very least! WHY do we have to endure such ignorance from the professionals we are expected to trust and confide in??!!! Ggggrrrrr!
Marky Fibro ME
UKFM Member

Postby Hannah24 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi,

I think you need to complain to your doctors surgery - in fact I would go the whole hog and complain to your local health authority. If it wasn't considered 'real' then why does the NHS have information about it on their website. I get the impression after listening to my Rheumatologist that the medical world will be more aware of the condition over the next few year.

I was really lucky as it was my gp who diagnosed me to begin with. Even the Rheumatologist was surprised.

I think you may have to push to get any help but good luck. x
Hannah24
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:58 pm

If I were you I'd be banging on the door of the practice manager over that gp. Disgusting to speak to you that way, a fibromyalgia diagnosis is nothing of the sort ffs. In fact I'd be inclined to get on to the GMC over it too.

How dare he behave like that and impune your "lifestyle" whatever he meant by that, what a pig.

Bet the pain clinic, rheumatologist etc wouldn't be impressed either.

Hope you find the strength to complain
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Tel1 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi All

Thanks for your views...:)) outrageous isn't it:)) :yikes:

I have found that when someone like us complains, it ends up with raised eyebrows and it causes more trouble than it's
worth..... All complaint offices in hospitals GP surgery's are there to make you feel as if you have back up if needed, but
in real terms once you complain or make a complaint they talk amongst themselves and then patronise you when they
say they have spoken to the person about the problem....the whole system is just terrible really... The best way to bring
it to the masses is to call one of the TV networks news desks that way it really takes off:)) but it's all stress and frustration.

At the end of the day..... I do have huge concerns how our NHS system operates, as in a lot of cases especially with
Fibromyalgia, it can just turn into a medical row....But I wont be staying at the GP surgery that I am currently at.:)))
I have also written to the rheumatologist that told me I had Fibro last year, so I will see what HE has to say:) but I don't
expect a reply from him as once he gets a letter like what my situation is, they tend not to respond as that would be taking
medical sides with the GP eh.... all in all the medical system in this country is classed as world-class:)) but if you want
to complain... god help you:))
Tel1
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:25 pm

I complained about my treatment in hospital and a few weeks later I was back in and the ward sister came to see me as had my complaint, let's just say my second stay was much nicer and I got my own room.

So it's not always a waste of time
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Libby Clark » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:43 pm

GRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr

They make me so mad, if they had half the issues we have they would find a diagnosis and a way to help.

Too annoyed to say any more other than GGGRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr
Libby Clark
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:04 pm

That doctor sounds like a dinosaur stuck in the past. And even if he doesn't believe in fibromyalgia as a diagnosis he should not be rubbishing your symptoms as "moaning" when they have a really big impact on your life.

I would suggest trying a different GP at the surgery if you need help for anything.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby Chickenosaurus » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:08 pm

The other tactic to try is to say 'Oh good, I'm glad you don't think it's fibromyalgia. Now can you get on and help me with these symptoms - and maybe you could suggest another diagnosis...'

I definitely think a letter to your Practice Manager would be useful - you have several valid points to complain about; the 'lifestyle' (!) comment, the 'constant moaning' comment and his general attitude to fibromyalgia. You could ask if it is within Practice guidelines to a) speak to patients like this b) not accept a medically-recognised (e.g. WHO) disorder c) over-rule a consultant's diagnosis. I would also finish by saying I look forward to their reply as you will be passing it, with your letter of complaint, to your MP.

I hope you get better treatment from now on!
Chickenosaurus
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:39 pm

^ very much this and do send a copy to your MP they can & do help
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Woah that's AWFUL!! No wonder you're annoyed! I would definitely write and complain, to everyone actually, and I would include the stuff about the HIV test as at the very least that should not have been said. :yikes:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Tel1 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:48 pm

HI All:)) THANKS for all your responses..... I actually wrote to the head of the NHS and they just fobbed me off really...
I then wrote to the rheumatologist about the GP not sending me back to him and said... ( he couldn't comment ) I thought to
myself this is typical medical talk... so I said to him, but you WILL comment to me when I see you next after I have dealt
with the GP..... we will see what happens..:) I know people at the news desk of the papers, but the thing is,,, DO I do it?
as it will only cause a huge performance... and do I need that....however of course I am fuming about it all really... although
I will let you all know what happens:))
Tel1
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:02 am

Be very careful about approaching the press, as they are only interested in selling their paper. It's not uncommon for them to start off off on the side of someone and then the next week start dishing the dirt on the same person. They also edit things to suit their story so what you said etc can very easily be printed into something which reads quite differently to the average reader.

I appreciate you are very annoyed at your GP and with good reason, however tread carefully regarding press involvement and don't let your immediate annoyance or frustration land you in something which you may later regret.

Fibro is regarded as many different things by the medical profession, in reality it is a name given to a range of common symptoms for which at present no real physical cause can be found.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:47 am

To be honest I think making a complaint will be a waste of energy. My experience of NHS complaints procedures is that they are there to dismiss any concerns and basically sweep any issues under the carpet, and that is if you have a solid complaint with evidence on your side.

In this case your main concern is over what he said and his attitude, it will be your word against his. The most you will get is a halfhearted "I'm sorry you felt that way.." apology.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Doctors & Health Services