Pain management

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain management

Postby animeemo3 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi all, not posted for a while, not really been up to it.
Finally got a pain management appointment next month. Already had the assessment part and been accepted. Can anyone tell me what will happen at the first appointment?

Got a letter about the apartment, with lots of depression/anxiety questions and a little human body diagram and a note saying please color in the parts where you feel pain. It wasn't until I had almost finished that I realised there are about three parts I didn't color because I didn't think the pain was that bad there, kinda depressive really.

Scared of going to the appointment and being told I'm making it all up for attention or something, that seems to be the way every appointment goes lately. The only exception was my mri, where they found out I actually did have something rare wrong with my throat, but that's it. My go didn't even know I had a fibro diagnosis, despite seeing her at least once a month, talking about it, how can you help me, can I try the meds approved for fibro ect. *sigh*
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Re: Pain management

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:05 pm

I would imagine that they will go thru the options available to you via Pain Management, see what might be of interest/help to you and then devise a treatment plan to be followed whilst you are with them.

Availability/access to services and treatments does tend to vary from area~to~area, but can include physio, acupuncture, Pain Management Programme/Course, meds reviews with suggestions for what else might be helpful, access to to a therapist for help with dealing with the emotional/psychological aspects of living with chronic pain.

For more specific advice relating to where you will be going, you could ring them up and ask them about that they can provide/do to help. That way, if there is something you are particularly interested in/want to know about, they may be able to send additional info out, give you details of sites to look at, as well as hopefully provide you with some reassurance about how you will be treated.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby rich44 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:15 pm

My first appt was the assessment, 2nd was a group discussion and 3rd was a 10 min questionnaire (60 mile round trip each time).

My next appt isn't until December.

Hopefully yours is better organised
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:46 am

I had one appointment with the pain consultant. He examined me briefly, looked at my test results and notes and diagnosed my condition. He told me I was using pain killers correctly already (how does one use pain killers incorrectly??). He then recommended exercise like walking and stretching (I already do/did both already), suggested amitriptyline and told me I would have to learn to live with a certain amount of ongoing pain.

Thank you very much, I don't need to see you again, visit the GP for prescriptions. Goodbye.

I was not offered any physio, pain courses or any medications that my GP hadn't already considered. I don't think the clinic had the resources required to treat people to be honest.

This is NOT a criticism of the doctor personally; he was very friendly, pleasant and explained everything clearly. It is just he had nothing to offer me. Apart from getting an official 'label' for my pain from a consultant the whole thing was a waste of time for both myself and the doctor really.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:33 am

That's really shocking
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:41 am

rich44 wrote:That's really shocking

Not really Rich. Even the OP has said the doctor tried his best, was polite but just couldn't help. There is no easy single tablet for chronic nerve pain, particularly when one of the effects of it is oversensitivity to it to an extent. Some people may get some relief from some of it, using various combinations, but often the effects of side effects outweigh the benefits, and there may still be some sort of pain felt. Distraction methods are sometimes as beneficial as medication in this respect.

In all honesty, the only way you'll get rid of excruciating nerve pain is to be so doped up you're either unconscious or equivalent. And that not really practical for most people.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:02 am

So the point of a pain clinic is to just say sorry you're in pain we can't help you?

That's shocking! They're supposed to be a gateway to other treatments that you can't get access to via a gp.

For example hydrotherapy I've known people get acupuncture via them too.

Point being a pain clinic shouldn't see you once and say sorry can't help, that is just a farce.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:30 pm

rich44 wrote:So the point of a pain clinic is to just say sorry you're in pain we can't help you?

That's shocking! They're supposed to be a gateway to other treatments that you can't get access to via a gp.

For example hydrotherapy I've known people get acupuncture via them too.

Point being a pain clinic shouldn't see you once and say sorry can't help, that is just a farce.

I agree but I don't think the clinic had any of those services available, probably due to cuts in funding. Or if they did have services then they were clearly so over subscribed they could only offer to help those in the most severe pain.

zappa20 is correct. Unfortunately there are very few truly effective treatments for chronic pain conditions. The usual treatments are combinations of pain killers and antidepressant or anticonvulsant medications which can leave you so doped up you are no better off. I manage OK on just co-codamol most of the time.

I'm also experimenting with OTC supplements, mainly the ones recommended in books I have read - like magnesium, B vitamins, vitamin D, Acetyl- L-Carnitine, etc. B & D vitamins have helped fatigue.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services