Best holistic treatment for shoulder/neck ache?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Best holistic treatment for shoulder/neck ache?

Postby sunnyem23 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:27 am

Hi all.

I am wondering what you find is the most beneficial way to treat painful/aching muscles in the neck/upper back/shoulder area?

Over the years I've seen sports therapists, osteopaths, acupuncturists and massage therapists but as they are so expensive long-term, I am wondering which to pursue for my upper back/neck pain. It feels muscular but I can also feel it in my spine so can't decide whether osteo or massage would be best! Or just go to acupuncturist again. :s

Any personal stories of what works would be great!
sunnyem23
UKFM Newbie

Re: Best holistic treatment for shoulder/neck ache?

Postby rich44 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:52 am

My wife swears by her osteopath, she gets really bad headaches & migraines. As long as she sees him once every few months it really keeps them to a minimum.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:54 am

You have to find who/what therapy works best for you and then persue that.

I went through them all and settled on trigger point therapy by a senior physiotherapist.

I suffer severely with muscle stiffness, strains & spasms and this keeps that to a minimum but need it regularly as the muscles just go back to the norm.

I also found wearing a mouthguard at night made by the dentist helpfull with neck pain
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby zappa20 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:25 am

When I had Fibro my neck and shoulder muscles were so stiff and painful that trying to massage them was just too painful, or made them feel worse.

But I found starting the day doing gentle stretching exercises provided by the Fibro clinic , and making a deliberate constant effort to intense these muscles really helped if slowly at first. The muscles had become so stiff and sore without realising it had become normal for me to be walking about or sitting unconsciously keeping these muscles permanently tensed. Possibly started because they were so sore, then because I was always tensing them I was making them worse. Was a catch 22, and a very hard habit to break for me.

Lisa just wondered if your gall bladder surgery is imminent as it's been a long time . Hope it goes well. Apologies to OP for putting this in your thread. Just hadn't seen anything recently from Lisa about her OP, though I might have missed it.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:33 am

zappa20 wrote:
Lisa just wondered if your gall bladder surgery is imminent as it's been a long time . Hope it goes well. Apologies to OP for putting this in your thread. Just hadn't seen anything recently from Lisa about her OP, though I might have missed it.

Hi , thanks for asking i shall update all on the topic about fibro & operations. Off to do that now :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:23 am

What about a TENs machine??? Or applying warmth to the affected areas??? I broke my neck in a car accident just over 20 years ago, and still suffer with the fallout from it, meaning the muscles in my neck and shoulders are always very stiff and tender to the point where, at times, not even I am able to touch it, let alone anyone else. I spent a month on skull traction after having an op to repair the fracture and re~align the dislodged vertebrae, then a further 6~7 months in a variety of rigid collars. Without my heated wheaty bags, little hottie bottie in its woolly jumper, and good old Mr TENsy my range of movements would be much more limited than they are as I would have no way to help the muscles relax and soften.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Doctors & Health Services