Diagnosis

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Diagnosis

Postby V_Eeyore » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:25 am

Hey guys,

I got my official diagnosis this morning, it has been a long time coming! However I can't really explain how I feel, kind of numb? Is this normal?

I am both relieved and saddened by this, its good to finally have the answer and a treatment plan, but there are as many questions as ever before and knowing you have a condition that could get worse in the future and doesnt have a cure is a strange thing.

Can anyone offer any advice if this numbness is normal or how long it will last? Or what happens next? I have gone into work today and don't want to have a breakdown in public if thats a possibility.

Sorry for the rambling my head is all spongey today.

Thanks,
V
V_Eeyore
UKFM Member

Re: Diagnosis

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:59 am

Just jiffled you over into this board as it's a bit more suitable for what you are posting about :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

How you're feeling at the moment is pretty typical of how a good number of us felt after being given FM dx's. The is the instance of relief at finally having a name attached to what you have been living/suffering with, but then the enormity of what FM is, and that it is going to be with you for the long haul comes steam~rollering in over everything, leaving you feeling how you currently are.

For now, taking things day~by~day, or even hour~by~hour if you need to may help you get thru this initial stage. Then, as you start to feel a little more settled about things, you can then start looking a little further forward to the next step or 2 you will be needing to take on your now~confirmed FibroQuest. It's not easy to say how long it may take to get thru this as we're all so very different in how we adapt to changes, problems etc. If you can give yourself some time, things will start to feel a little lighter and brighter for you :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:27 pm

Well I wasn't numb as such. I did go through a grieving stage but that was mainly because I thought I would always feel severe pain and achy forever more. But there is light. Once I started on my vitamin d (I was deficient) and my Amitriptyline I have had more good days than bad. I still have symptoms etc. But I don't get all achy anymore except,one flare in Aug and that lasted three days. I don't take painkillers very often. I found that my body just got used to them. So I would take more and more. I decided to stop them and only take them now and then which has helped me no end. I also try to move as much as possible as I get stiff sitting too long. I am a fighter and will fight til my last breath. This condition isnt a death sentence. Its a chance to improve your life and live it to the fullest no matter what.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby V_Eeyore » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:59 pm

Thank you both very much!

I will just take things one step at a time and see how it goes.

My worry is that the doctor I saw at the pain clinic this morning said that pain killers wont work and that I should meditate 3 times a day instead. I have nothing against meditation and I can see how it can help, I am just not convinced it will totally remove my pain.

Will my GP now take away my prescriptions for the pain killers I am on? I am finding them less effective anyway as I have been on them for far too long, most days I can do without them, on really bad days though I would hate to think the state I would be in if I had nothing to take the edge off the pain.

From what I have read and heard from others it seems to be a huge difference in the treatment plans, and some doctors are scarily unknowledgable about FM. I had a great GP who first started me on Pregabalin which really did make a complete change in my life, then he left and the new GP is one of the its all in your head types.

It's has been a long fight to get a diagnosis and looks like it will be a continous one :( :shock: :-?
V_Eeyore
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:00 pm

Different meds tend to work differently for each of us, meaning some will be beneficial for some, but not necessarily for others. To have a doc make such as sweeping generalisation as they won't work is :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair: It can be a pain in the :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: trying to find what makes the difference, but it is possible to find something that does help bring some degree of relief. Meditation and/or relaxation techniques can help make things a little more manageable, but in my time as part of the club, I personally haven't found it effective in taking the pain away. For me, as I work thru something like the BodyScan, I find that as I relax more, altho the pain is still there and at the same intensity, it seems to take a step or 2 back, and become slightly less prominent, for a short while at least.

Wrt your GP and your meds, should there be something in any reports from the pain clinic relating to medication, they tend to be recommendations rather than directives, and your GP should discuss these with you before any plans/changes are made.

If you can't get anywhere with your current GP, is there a different one you could see who might be more understanding about things???
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:08 pm

I found the Amitriptyline has helped take the edge off the pain. It helped me sleep from day one but took a month to help pain wise. I wont do without it now. Have also started gabapentin which is also to keep the pain at bay. I find acceptance of the condition helps immensely. I see this as a good challenge. Getting upset about it is completely understandable but it doesn't help you in the long run. Meditation is good when you can find some 'me' time :-D I wouldn't think the gp would stop your painkillers but like you and I both found out, they don't really help and you just end up taking more and more! Learn to pace yourself as best as you can and you will be fine :-)
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services