New Doctor

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New Doctor

Postby mary251 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi everyone!

I posted the other week about depression, and how I was changing GPs because my last one would do very little to help me.

I made a huge mistake in changing GPs. I saw my new one today, and, no sooner had I told her I have fibro, she asked "why do you have fibromyalgia? What set it off?" so I explained to her about my past (in a nutshell, sexual abuse as a child, raped as a teenager while I was sole carer for my mum (OCD, borderline personality disorder, depression, and about a dozen other MH issues) and was often pulled from school to care for her and make sure she didn't commit suicide, and I was in a domestically violent relationship). Once I had got all of this out of the way, she compared me to another pt she has who has gone from barely being able to walk with FMS to being bedbound, and told me that if I don't get my act together, I'll end up the same way. My hips were agony, and I was walking with my stick, and she told me that it was "too dramatic" and "obviously a manifestation of [my] traumatic past". She doesn't even have my notes from my last GP yet, but has told me I'm subconsciously making myself worse and need to have an urgent appointment with the local psychologist. I spent the entire appointment in tears, and a good hour afterwards. She didn't ask me what I can do, just listed the stuff she decided I couldn't and called me lazy.

I'm devastated. I'd already been referred for counselling, and, at the consultation, I was told there's nothing they can do for me, and I need to be referred for pain management, which will help my mood once we have my pain under control. That sounds about right to me. I don't have fibromyalgia because I'm depressed, I'm depressed because I don't sleep, am in constant pain, and I'm struggling to cope financially. My past doesn't help, but it has very little impact on how I am day-to-day - I just don't dwell on it and get on with as much as I can. I'm so tired of being treated like a liar, or an attention seeker.
Sometimes, there is simply not enough chocolate in the world...
mary251
UKFM Member

Re: New Doctor

Postby Tally1068 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:38 pm

:shock: OMG
That defies belief. Poor you, you must feel terrible.
Apart from changing practices, is there any way you could lodge a formal complaint? I'm sure others on here will be able to help. I haven't a clue, just sending out empathetic vibes.
Tally1068
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:45 pm

Have you switched surgeries mary, or swapped to a different GP at your current surgery??? Had a little looky thru things but can't see where/if you've already mentioned this :oops: :oops: :oops:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby mary251 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:32 pm

I've just swapped surgeries, as I was advised by a friend who has fibro that this woman was the best person in the area to see for it. I'm still trying to get my head around that one! I'm going to go to the therapist, and go back to see her afterwards. I'm also going to get my support worker to call the shrink (the doctor completely berated my workers organisation, so if you see fireworks or a mushroom cloud tomorrow, don't panic; I've just let her know what has happened!) I'm going to go with my support workers advice, but I may speak to PALS, and get some advice from them.
mary251
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:54 pm

I'll make sure my Haz~Mat suit is to hand for after your next visitation. It's certainly not what you would expect from seeing someone who is supposed to be the best in the area :-o :-S Is there someone who could go with you to your next appt with her??? Give you some moral support and back~up. Also, write down what you thought, felt etc about your previous encounter {appt doesn't seem a suitable description} as well as other things you need and want to get across, then you'll have a reminder/prompt about them.

Every once in a while, a dog enters your life and changes everything xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby mary251 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:01 pm

Thanks Fluppy. I've just re-downloaded the FibroMap and am documenting everything from now on, so I can show my new shrink what I'm like from one day to the next. I'm sure Beth, my support worker, will be coming with me to my next appt, and my mum has said she will come if I want. If all else fails, I'm going to make sure I have a box of tissues and a large bar of chocolate available for after my next appt! It might not help, but it will certainly make me feel better.
mary251
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:40 pm

Medicinal chocolate, wouldn't life be wonderful if that was all we needed to have on prescription :-D

Every once in a while, a dog enters your life and changes everything xx

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Doctors & Health Services