rhumatology wait now even longer. stupid NHS Scotland.

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

rhumatology wait now even longer. stupid NHS Scotland.

Postby dazzleship » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:57 am

hi all

just needing to let off a bit of steam. I've mentioned on here before that I'm waiting for a rhumatology appointment which is supposed to have a 12-week wait :roll:

well - I phoned up the number today to find out where I am in the list as I still haven't heard and the 12 weeks are up at the end of next week.

and they said... there are still lots of people in front of me and it's now about a 16-week wait! :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

I'm trying desperately not to swear and scream here. I'm absolutely furious, the NHS here in Scotland is a complete and utter joke and it's ridiculous to expect people to have to wait 12 weeks let alone 16 weeks.

my GP has said there is nothing else they can do at the moment, it's all down to what the rhumatologist says. so I'm just in limbo until I can get my appointment.

I feel like crying or giving up or something. :cry: I just don't know.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Re: rhumatology wait now even longer. stupid NHS Scotland.

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:44 pm

That is ridiculous! I got in within a week! This stress is not going to help your condition either. Deep breaths! Hopefully you'll get lucky and get in there sooner rather than later. Just try and keep a level head and breathe hun x I know how stressful this has got to be on you :(
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:47 pm

The only thing i can think of is writing a letter to the consultant and send it to his secretary. Explain how your are in desperate need to see him and explain why and that you feel you cannot wait a further 4 weeks and could he possibly see you before then?

Or keep on calling the outpatients appointments every day and ask if theres been any cancellations.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby dazzleship » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:26 am

thanks for support.

Theresa - wow only a week you were lucky. glad you didn't have to wait this long.

Lisa - if only I knew what consultant I will be seeing! I don't even know what hospital it will be at (apparently it can be one of several). :roll:

the whole thing's just a shambles really.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:00 pm

Call your GP secretary she will know where the referal has been sent and who to
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby zappa20 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:37 pm

Consultant appointments are graded into categories of urgency. It's routine appointments which normally have the longer wait times. A lot will depend on what reasons you're seeing the rheumatologist and what your GP has requested and what info he sent in his letter.

Do you have a form or suspected form of rheumatoid arthritis for example, as this would normally hurry up your wait time? If your GP has asked for an urgent or speedier appointment it could be due to your Fibro. As although it's an area often allocated to rheumatology to diagnose , they often aren't very interested and will refer you back to your GP or a pain clinic for ongoing treatment. Because there isn't much in their bag of tricks they can offer. Although some rheumatology depts have nurse run Fibro clinics , but these seem to be mainly for newly diagnosed patients.

You could ask your GP what priority he asked for in his referral or ask him if he can get you moved forward. But if your symptoms are all related or caused by Fibro which has already been diagnosed then he might not be able to help much unfortunately.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:08 am

Lisa - thanks I'm seeing GP on Monday (or is it Tuesday? :roll: I need to find where I wrote down the appointment.) I'll ask then.

Zappa - thanks for the info, I appreciate it, it helps to understand the process a little bit.

basically I've only seen a rhumatologist once, when I was diagnosed 2.5 years ago. then when I moved to new GP a few months ago I was filling them in on my fibro, and how it's got worse since I was diagnosed, and they said they would refer me back to a rhumatologist with I think their words were "to see if there is anything else going on"

as far as I know I don't have any suspected rhumatoid arthritis (blood tests have not shown anything like that) but personally I do think I have more than 'just' fibro going on - I have terrible back and hip pain, hip bursitis, pins and needles / numbness and in addition I have wobbly knees (bend backwards slightly while walking) and shoulders that move around their sockets slightly, and I want to find out if I have hypermobility syndrome going on (I am hypermobile, that was confirmed last year by a physio, but nobody would tell me if I had the "syndrome" part).
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:00 pm

dazzleship wrote:
basically I've only seen a rhumatologist once, when I was diagnosed 2.5 years ago. then when I moved to new GP a few months ago I was filling them in on my fibro, and how it's got worse since I was diagnosed, and they said they would refer me back to a rhumatologist with I think their words were "to see if there is anything else going on"rt).

Unfortunately sounds like a more routine appointment request has been asked for here. Your GP could try to get it pulled forward, but he might be hesitant for a number of reasons. You can only ask and see what he says, nothing ventured nothing gained. Hope you get it sorted soon.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby sastek » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:58 pm

I'm also in Scotland, I think my wait to see a consultant was around 25 - 26 weeks :shock:
sastek
UKFM Member

Postby Genevieve489 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:19 am

Have you told the hospital that you will take any cancellations? Just phone the appointments people.

I live in England and always do this. My original rheumy appointment was a month's wait, but I was seen within a fortnight because they had a cancellation and I had told them that I would be available if one came up.

Hope that you get seen soon. I know how frustrating it can be.

Take care.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:32 pm

Oh no dazz how frustrating :( I think my wait was about 10 weeks in the end (it was meant to be 16+) but only because I went to another county through 'choose and book', do you have that up there? Ask your GP, not all referrals go through it.

Unfortunately I suspect they won't be able to do much but I agree that once you've got the contact details for the department call them and say you can go to cancellations. It can make such a difference.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services