pain pain pain stupid doc

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

pain pain pain stupid doc

Postby cdcrossy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:52 pm

hi i have a doc that seems not to listen ( or im not talking loud enuff ) i keep going to him about swapping my medicine but he says he cannot im on 3x gabapentin 300mg 3 times a day 1 500mg tramadol 2 times a day paracetamol 500mg to top up naproxen 500mg 2 times aday lansaprol first thing in morn and quinine sulphate at night. i cannot sleep in a bed i have to sleep downstairs its too much of a pain to get upstairs i cannot get in a bath cannot lift my leg over it my partner has to do things id rather do myself but nothing i can do about it. my point is my doc wont change my pills after i read on here people are on different meds than me and coping i feel like im fighting a losing battle daily. my doc suggests going to pain management program to get meds sorted out but i cannot go there all day get ready early in the morn but he wont listen. is there anything i can take to him or show him that my meds need to change as im stuck in this ground hog day.
thanks in advance if non of this makes sense its because it has taken me a while to write so sorry if english is not upto standards. haha 8-)
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Re: pain pain pain stupid doc

Postby Patsb » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:07 pm

This. Is one of the reasons I stopped going to my drs.all they did was shove antidepressants at me.i asked for my diazapam to be put up from 5mg to 10 as they are the only things that take the edge off.my dr looked horrified and flatly refused as in his words " I could become addicted" bearing in mind I've been taking diazapam for 30 years it's a bit late to worry about addiction! He's quite happy to push anti depressants on me tho some of which made me feel suicidal.
I binned the gabapentin as I was taking 9 a day and they had no affect whatsoever.
I now manage on 5 mg diazapam ( I have to make a months supply last as I take 2 at a time)
Co codamol and 10 mg amiltryptine.
The only thing tablets Dr has given me have achieved is me gaining over 3 stone in weight. :twisted:
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby becbob » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:24 pm

Hi, sorry to hear that you're not getting the support you need. I can't help you with that but have you tried contacting your local adult servives. I did a few weeks ago and last week I had an Occupational Therapist come out to assess me and my home. She is going to sort out a bed rail, something for the bath, a commode, tin opener, bottle opener and various other things to try to make me as independent and comfortable as I can be. I highly suggest you contact them. They really are a god send.
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:39 pm

Sorry to hear things don't seem to be awfully peachy where your GP is concerned. Have you tried to see any of the other GPs at your surgery, or considered changing to another surgery??? If not, it might be something you find yourself having to consider doing.

When it comes to meds and FM, you do need to bear in mind that there isn't a standard cocktail that suits everyone. To find what helps each of us takes time and often involves trying a significant number of combos, with different ingredients at different dosages to find your particular version.

What sort of an approach to you use when seeing your GP??? In the early days I would go in totally unprepared, expecting him to be able to read my mind and know what I was wanting and needing. Unfortunately, one of the things GPs aren't trained in is mind reading, so it meant I wasn't getting the best out of my appts, even tho my GP is a decent one. So now, if there is something mentioned meds or treatment~wise that I think might be of interest/use to me, I look into it from as many angles as possible, incl the not~so~good, get my info together in readiness for my appt, then go in and explain what I have been looking into, then ask about whether or not it might be suitable for me to try. I've found that this taking more of a lead has made a difference to what I can get out of an appt than I would have done previously.
cdcrossy wrote:i cannot sleep in a bed, i have to sleep downstairs its too much of a pain to get upstairs. i cannot get in a bath, cannot lift my leg over it. my partner has to do things id rather do myself but nothing i can do about it.

Have you considered asking for a referral to an Occupational Therapist??? They will come and assess you and your situation with the aim of seeing if there are any aids that might help improve the areas you find are being affected due to your condition. Some areas work on a self~referral basis, whilst others need a referral from a healthcare professional involved in your care and treatment. Your GP surgery should be able to advise you how to go about this, or at the very least tell you who to contact about it.
cdcrossy wrote:my doc suggests going to pain management program to get meds sorted out but i cannot go there all day get ready early in the morn but he wont listen.

Some areas have a community or volunteer transport system for taking patients to and from appts, clinics etc. This might be something to also look into availability~wise in your area.

From my own experiences, I appreciate how infuriating it can be when you're not getting the help and care you need. Sadly this is happening in so many other areas as well. However, if you can take that first step to trying to get this to change, it can make a difference. That first step is nerve~racking, but if you can find a little extra to help you make it, the next step, and the one after, and the one after that do become a little easier to make.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby dazzleship » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:07 pm

hi cdcrossy

forgive me if I'm not quite understanding your post.. I'm in a bit of pain myself today so concentration isn't brilliant :-?

are you saying that you're still in pain even after all those medicines you're on? I think the pain management appointment is a reasonable thing for your GP to suggest but I didn't quite understand why you couldn't go (couldn't understand the sentence, sorry :oops:).

I guess if you're convinced that different medication would jelp you then take the names of the ones you'd like to try to your GP and ask him if you can try them and if not why not. but again, he might be thinking that the pain management appointment is what would sort all that out.

but the thing to remember is just because you've read on here that other people are on different medications doesn't mean that they'll work for you - we are all different. :-) for some people it can take a lot o trying different medications until you find something that does suit you, but there are those of us (like me) who find that no medications work cos of side effects or whatever. it really is quite hit and miss.

have you considerered a TENS machine to help with your pain? I use one from time to time and it definitely helps.

hope you get something sorted out that starts making you feel a bit better though.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby cdcrossy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:03 am

Thanks for the support guys i had been given diazipan for my back a few weeks ago as i could not even stand on my feet i tried to stand and my legs gave in . But my doc would not give me any more as he said i would get addicted they actually worked i felt no pain but i have no idea what to do. My partner cannot even take me to pain management as we have 3 small children plus i cannot get going in time to get there i was told it was from 8am till 5 pm at a time. Im like a living ornament but a grumpy moaning one haha. Im thinking about changing docs but then the devil u know is better than the one you dont i feel like a drug addict with all the medicine. I feel terrible as my children want to play im always moaning and they dont understand that im in pain the most i can do is sit nxt to them. They had a tens machine it worked for a while then did nothing for me also for my hands and feet i have a hot wax machine that works great on my hands they feel new for a day when i get to do it.also i want to ask if anyone has experienced dizzy spells and a feeling like ur body runs out of power and ur going to shut down . Sorry about the going on but its really getting to me now.
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:16 pm

Maybe they would let you try pregabalin if gabapentin isn't working?
Have you ever tried amitriptyline or duloxetine? They are two other medications that are used a lot for fibro.

I wonder if a pain clinic could help you get the medications sorted.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby cdcrossy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:00 pm

thanks for the reply yes ive had amitriptyline and pregabalin. with no joy i do not know whats going on with me i will try the pain clinic after xmas then if i have no joy i think ill change doctors as mine just blames everything on fybro its like i get fobbed off as each appointment is 10mins thats all they can give each time.
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services