rhumatologist appointment - at last

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

rhumatologist appointment - at last

Postby dazzleship » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:41 pm

well folks as you probably know I've been waiting for ages for this appointment. in fact I've been measuring the time it's taken from my referral by the weathering of a stone. :mrgreen:

well finally I have the letter through. still a couple more weeks to go but at least I now have the date.

I'm so pleased. :-D
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Re: rhumatologist appointment - at last

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:21 pm

Fingers crossed you get a nice, sensible, positive and encouraging one like I did. Good luck :)
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:47 pm

:goodluck2: I hope all goes well and you get all your questions answered and come away with some positive actions. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:52 pm

Good luck!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:55 pm

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: Dazzle, hope you can get those answers you're looking for :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby MPSGuy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:12 pm

are you being referred for fibro or something else?

I don't want to be negative but if you are being referred purely for fibro try not to get your hopes up. Often they don't do much apart from confirm the diagnosis and send you back to the GP to get some amitriptyline or pregabalin for pain.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:31 pm

thanks for all your well wishes :-D

mpsguy - I've already had fibro confirmed by a rhumatologist 2.5 years ago when I was first diagnosed. but now because I have got so much worse since then I'm being referred back "to see if there is anything else going on" in the words of my GP. so this will be the second time I've seen a rhumatologist.

I am hypermobile (this was discovered since my diagnosis) and I'm hoping the rhumatologist will address that because I think a lot of my symptoms point to hypermobility syndrome.

I have a list of symptoms to discuss :mrgreen:
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:58 am

It does seem to vary a lot what Rheumatologists actually do and how helpful they are. The one I saw was completely useless :roll: I saw him for 4 appointments. He started off thinking I might have Lupus, but then ruled that out because of a negative blood test. Then he sent me for a lumbar spine xray, which showed I have lumbar scoliosis and a twisted pelvis. Then on the 3rd appointment, he looked at my thoracic spine and sent me for another xray...which revealed a thoracic scoliosis. If he had only examined me properly on the first appointment, I would only have needed one xray of the full spine...

Anyway, at the end of all that, he told me I had scoliosis (I already knew that) and then he waffled on about 'non-restorative sleep' and how I shouldn't do so much, should get lots of rest, avoid stress and use heatpacks for the pain. And then he discharged me. So I was left a bit confused about whether 'scoliosis' was his final diagnosis, or if there was something else going on.

It was only when I went to my GP and asked him what the Rheumatologist had put in the notes that I found out he had diagnosed me with fibro!! I got copies of his letters and they were the biggest load of nonsense ever. In every letter, he went on about Raynaud's being a major problem...which is rubbish! Yes, I have Raynaud's but it is a nuisance, not something that I'm concerned about. It was only ever in my notes because it can be an indication of Lupus, but he seemed to focus in on it as the main problem :-|

I thought this must just be the way the Rheumatologists deal with it so I was amazed to come on here and see that some Rheumatologists will prescribe different drugs and refer patients to Pain Clinics, Physio etc. I suppose it is the luck of the draw!

Hopefully you'll get one of these good ones Dazzleship and not an idiot like mine :lol:
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:02 am

thanks Carolad. sorry to hear you didn't have a brilliant time with your rhumatologist. he does sound a bit of a muppet.

after hearing various posts around the forum saying how good or bad rhumatologists can be I must say I'm prepared for the fact that I might get one who's a complete waste of time but I really hope not after I've waited so long.

I think it's terrible that the service provided by them can vary so much. I guess I'm naive but I would have thought all of them would be trained the same and would do the same things, you know?

but we'll just have to see. not long to go :-)
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:00 pm

Don't prepare to have a rubbish rheumy. Trust that you'll get a good one! :-D Be positive xxx
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:08 pm

Theresa34 wrote:Don't prepare to have a rubbish rheumy. Trust that you'll get a good one! :-D Be positive xxx

Although...it can be helpful to be on your guard so you aren't disappointed :) Expect the best...but prepare for the worst :D
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:45 pm

unfortunately I've switched into 'prepare for the worst' mode as a result of a meeting with my GP today.

they'd had a letter from the rhumatologist recommending that what I actually need is a pain clinic appointment rather than a rhumatology appointment. something I strongly disagree with because I still think there are other things going on other than fibro. my GP disagrees too.

thankfully my appointment has not been cancelled so I can still go (not long now) but it's kind of put a dampner on the whole thing. I really don't want to get there and be told I'm wasting their time.

good thing is hubby is coming with me so he'll straighten them out!

wish me luck...
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Good luck! What day is it?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services