[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - physio

physio

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

physio

Postby jayanne1311 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:25 am

Does anyone out there feel like me about physios? I have a negative attitude towards them and went for an assessment today under duress I suppose but I have always left them feeling that if I only did more exercise I wouldn't be unwell at all! Classic example today, I was diagnosed with fibro in November but have had difficulties with my back since my 20,s and I am now in my 60s. I am sure you can see where this is going. I had little help from the N HS but paid for chiropractic and acupuncture so that I could keep working.
Apparently my back is bad because I am overanxious and protect it too much! Oh yes I definitely do, if you have ever suffered muscle spasms you would want to avoid them. My back is bad because I cross my legs, my hips are bad because I cross my legs. My hips and balance are bad because I fell over and have lost confidence. I walk most days, do most of the housework, help look after my grandchildren try to enjoy myself and keep cheerful for my husband and family. But they will help me and wonder why have little faith if they haven,t managed it yet! So I think I will soon be swinging from the rafters and playing squash and all will be better.I have been in mild pain ever since I got home and feel lousy.I really do not want to go back and feel ready to give up. Thank you for letting me vent as if I talk to my husband he gets so sad
jayanne1311
UKFM Member

Re: physio

Postby dazzleship » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:22 pm

hello

sometimes it's good to vent so don't worry about it :-D

I just had to reply cos yeah, I feel the same way as you about physiotherapists. yes, some people might find them useful but I've always thought of physiotherapy as a complete waste of time and like you say, usually done by people who are very sanctimonious about exercise, as if that is the cure for all ills.

I was sent for physiotherapy by my previous GP (the one I had before moving house). this was about a year-ish ago? anyway. the physiotherapist gave me 'stretching' exercises to do :roll: which didn't do anything to help the fibro and in fact I stopped going after about four appointments because it was actually making me feel worse.

it sounds like you are the same - that the physio is actually worsening things, not helping. please be careful if that is the case. I'd say that you know your own body better than the physiotherapist does.

one thing to note though - the rheumatologist I saw a couple of weeks ago, who diagnosed ehlers danlos, asked me if I'd had physiotherapy. I said yes, but that it made me worse. she then asked "have you ever seen a rheumatology physiotherapist" to which I replied no, I'd never even heard of them. the way she asked it, gave me the distinct impression that with my conditions, I need to be seeing a physiotherapist that knows what they're doing with fibro/hypermobility, rather than a 'normal' physiotherapist.

so I wonder if that's the case for many of us, that if we have to see a physiotherapist at all, it should be one who understands our particular conditions and allows for that in the 'treatments' they offer.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby jayanne1311 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:18 pm

Thank you for the reply. I stewed on her comments all night and felt devastated that my life has been blighted and which she implies is all my own fault. I think I have it all a bit more in perspective now but she must have been worried about me because she insisted on phoning me tomorrow morning. My son says go along and play the game use it to my advantage if I can, and to try to listen about the anxiety which I don't really want to hear, he says. It will be a different physio for my next appt so I will go and see
jayanne1311
UKFM Member

Postby Charmed » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:16 pm

One thing this horrible condition isn't is your fault, so please don't worry or beat yourself up because some so called expert has said so. She clearly has no experience regarding Fibro. And how many women don't cross their legs if able, how ridiculous. Poor balance is a symptom of Fibro and she should know that. As regards returning, that is a personal choice, but please remember to listen to your body. You are the Expert of your own body.

Good luck :-) xx
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby Genevieve489 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:26 pm

I feel quite cross on your behalf. You definitely shouldn't have been made to feel as though you've brought this on yourself. I saw a physiotherapist for the first time at the beginning of November and she gave me stretching exercises for my hip bursitis and, I must admit, that they haven't really improved things greatly. There's a possibility that I've also got fibro - I won't know for a few weeks - so it was interesting to read Dazzleship's post that there was such a thing as a Rheumatology Physiotherapist.

I hope things improve for you. Take care.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:33 pm

In my experience, the NHS physios I saw for my back pain were useless! The first one thought that pilates would solve all my problems but it made the pain worse. I saw another 2 and they were both pleasant but no use whatsoever. So I came away with a very negative attitude towards physiotherapists...

But about 3-4 years ago, I started seeing a private physio...and she is FANTASTIC :) She is very holistic in her approach and she uses a variety of techniques, both conventional physio techniques and alternative therapies. So she has changed my view of physiotherapists...they are not all the same and you may have to ask around and try a few different ones out. But personally, I would never bother with NHS physio now, I have much more faith in my own private physio.

It is expensive of course - that is the big downside :( But if you can afford to see a physio privately, it might be worth a try before you give up on them completely! x
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby jayanne1311 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:54 am

Thanks for all your replies.It really helped to get it all written down and have some feedback. The physio rang this morning and I did tell her how she had made me feel and although a lot of her comments were about my distress and mental health, she did suggest that I tore up the pain score and exercise sheet she had given me and spent the time before my next appt being kind to my self.I think I got the message through.
jayanne1311
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:26 pm

I'm dwelling on physio stuff at the moment too. I used to see one for my bad upper back/neck/shoulders, which was caused by me having to climb in the passenger side of my car to get in :roll: I saw the physio and he was really good, and got me almost back to well again. He did say my posture was to blame though, which annoyed me no end because yes it's not great but that's not what caused my problems!

Anyway physio at pain clinic won't treat me as I had those symptoms before, and get this wrote in my letter that my GP referral didn't mention those pains when they were ALL in there!!! And made much worse by Fibro, so how she can say it's not caused by the Fibro is beyond me and really annoying because I'm sure she would treat me with Fibro in mind whereas normal physio won't. So I really wanted her to treat me but as usual they are passing the buck. It's so annoying. They expect me to pursue everything myself and I have no energy to do so.

Plus I've only just asked my GP for a referral back to that physio despite me last seeing him in May, because it's taken this long to see the pain clinic physio to establish I can have 'normal' physio!! So of course in the meantime I'm in agony and nothing is helping...

Sorry for the moan!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby jayanne1311 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:33 pm

Have finally managed to talk to my GP about the letter sent to her by the physio. She couldn't believe physio was talking about me as she had no recognition of the person described. Hurray! I am returning to the hospital for a session with a different physio so please keep your fingers crossed that this appointment goes better
jayanne1311
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:28 pm

Good luck!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby dazzleship » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:14 pm

that's good news Jayanne, I hope it goes better for you this time. :-) hopefully you get a physio that understands the condition.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby jayanne1311 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:27 pm

Yes I seem to have found a physio that really understands. She was lovely and kept telling me that the amount of her suggested exercise I do is up to howcI am feeling. She wanted me to keep walking whether or not I could do the exercise. It is an easy exercise but it really hurts afterwards so will take it slowly. Thanks for all the support
jayanne1311
UKFM Member

Postby MissGems73 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:13 am

I was referred to physio last dec, and when she seen me and took notes on what was wrong she decided their was nothing she can do and didn't want to give me exercises because it might make things worse. so she has passed me to hydrotherapy and then will see if that loosens me up enough to give me some exercise to do. but she said she isn't hopeful and it might just be a case of managing my pain.

I didn't realise there was a rheumatologist physio but i have made a note of it in my appointments book and will be asking about that next time i see my rheumatologist :-)
MissGems73
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:38 pm

Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services