Rheumotology Appt at last!!!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Rheumotology Appt at last!!!

Postby Ange12 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:42 pm

At last I have my rheumatology apt on Wednesday after waiting 4 months.

Like most of you guys it has taken a number of years to even get to this stage :crazy: I guess I feel a bit nervous partly because after all this time that I may at last get a name to my illness and that's when I think it will really hit home.

Up until now its always been "that underlying condition"

The worrying aspect is that from what I have read over the last few months is that a lot of the meds either don't help individuals or they have very bad side effects. Unfortunately I am very sensitive to medication (I get this from my mum :roll: LOL) So not looking forward to any medication that may be offered.

I have a diary of day to day experiences to take to the rheumo, physio has now given me a walking stick and advised they think I have sciatica in my hip/back/leg to top it all off.

Any other things that I should think about before I go? Appreciate any suggestions. Think I would have been lost without the website/forum over the last few months it has been very informative and helpful. :-D :-D :-D
Ange12
UKFM Newbie

Re: Rheumotology Appt at last!!!

Postby dazzleship » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:58 am

hi

well done for finally getting your appointment, I hope it goes well :-)

in terms of medication well I am another one who seems to be sensitive to medications, all the ones that have been thrown at me have given me bad side effects or just haven't worked. but I just manage with occasional co-codamol and a TENS machine which I find more useful for pain than any medication.

it sounds like you're already living with the illness just without having a label for it? if so, to me that's even less reason to worry about the medication.. just cos you will suddenly get a name for what you're suffering from, doesn't mean it will suddenly get worse and you'll need to take medication (hope that makes sense)

your diary is a good idea.. when I had my appointment I took with me a list of the symptoms I suffered from, which the rheumatologist found helpful. so as well as your diary, perhaps you could take with you a 'summarised' list of the main symptoms you have?

finally as for coping with the diagnosis.. I know exactly what you mean as I went through a similar thing not with fibro but with my recent ehlers danlos diagnosis. I'd suspected I had hypermobility syndrome but even so, when the rheumatologist told me I had EDS it was still a bit of a shock cos it meant I hadn't just imagined the symptoms, if you see what I mean. it made it suddenly 'real'.

and yes, it's taken me a bit of time to get used to it but now at least I have a name for what's wrong with me and that makes me feel better. I'm sure you'll go through a similar process, I think everyone does, but in the end you will have a name for what's wrong with you and in addition you'll be able to start dealing with it once you know what it is you're dealing with :-D
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby Ange12 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:59 pm

Well had my apt today, lasted all of 15 mins, they are very busy, did not look at my notes/diary, said we need to rule out arthritic psoriasis, I don't think that is what you have but I need to rule it out. They said we'll wait on the blood results, think about doing a back scan, but it sounds like fibro. See you back in 4 months and we will talk about it then !!!!!! So frustrated :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ange12
UKFM Newbie

Postby dazzleship » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:04 pm

ohh, sorry to hear it didn't go as well as you'd hoped. :hugs: was arthritic psoriasis something you were expecting as a diagnosis?

on the positive side at least they are doing some tests though. so you have to go back to the same rheumatologist in 4 months?
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services