Neurologist...

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Neurologist...

Postby Queenie_70 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:37 pm

....tomorrow!

Excited to finally be going, nervous of outcome :crazy:

:fingerscrossed: everything will be fine.

Stupid genetic history not in my favour. :facepalm:

xxxxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Re: Neurologist...

Postby ixel-chick » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:52 pm

Wishing you the very best of luck!!! Fingers and toes crossed.
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby dazzleship » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:18 am

good luck Queenie :-D hope it goes well for you. xx
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:33 pm

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: with the appt Queenie, hope you can get some answers fairy_dust fairy_dust fairy_dust fairy_dust fairy_dust fairy_dust fairy_dust fairy_dust
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:40 pm

Soooooooooooooooooooo, apart from the doctor being completely condescending, and talking more than she listened, and discounting my convulsions as tremors, she did order DNA sequencing, in the near (hopefully) future, an MRI and an EEG under "seizure" conditions, i.e., they will flash some strobes at me and see if the readings change. :crazy:

I told her about my daughter's history, which is what prompted the DNA test. I also informed her of my new and "improved" condition, (convulsions, intermitant stammer/stutter, walking difficulties etc), and of course my Fibro diagnosis and how too often I get eye rolls :roll: in disbelief, or everything is blamed on the Fibro. She at least did not do that, but she did over and over again say, we are only looking to "label." :yikes: NO!!!! I want a diagnosis, or at least the knowledge we can do something with what is happening so my quality of life is improved. I don't care what you call it, if you can do something about it, do it.....grrrrrrrrrrrrr :twisted:

So, to sum up, not a total disaster, but not my best appointment. :!: :!: :!: :!:

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:31 pm

Queenie_70 wrote:Soooooooooooooooooooo, apart from the doctor being completely condescending, and talking more than she listened...

xxx

Ugh...sounds like every doctor I've ever seen! I'm sorry you had that bad experience but hopefully you will get some answers in the end x
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby GaryFx » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:05 am

Sorry to hear you had problems with the neurologist, but it does seem quite common every time I see someone in the medical world they make you feel like a fake or time waster. I have my third neurologist appointment tomorrow and I am dreading it as it always seems to have a negative impact on me and I always come away feeling worse. The last time I went was for a lumber punch and it was like medieval torture, the pain was unbelievable and the staff was totally non sympathetic towards me, it was horrible. I will let you know how I get on, but try not to get down about it when you have these appointments you just have to keep at it, eventually you will get somewhere. And if you do fill down then we are all here to help you feel a little better, good luck
GaryFx
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:11 pm

Hi Guys...

I did have my EEG yesterday, and now I am waiting for my MRI. I am presuming that all results will be unveiled at my next Neuro appointment. :!: I did start to spasm a little during the EEG, but not convulse (if that makes any sense). My stomach muscles, after she made me deep breath for three minutes, started to cramp up a little, which in turn made my body move. It was taped and I authorized it's use in my diagnosis, so we shall see what they have to say. :fingerscrossed:

The MRI will be interesting as my last one showed a lesion. I was told, through a letter in mail, "Not to be concerned yet." The yet, threw me over the edge. Mum came to the rescue, read the letter and made me call and demand a follow-up for the letter. (She is a tyrant when she thinks I have been done wrong). :shooting:

Anyway, I have found through my experiences with doctors in America who treated Miranda, to those over here, and unless it is life and limb, they all treat you like you are an idiot wasting their time.

Gary, thanks for reminding me that you guys are my rock at times. I always appreciate the advice, ability to rant, and general good feeling I get from reading the kind words people say on here. :bear-dancing:

Good Luck for tomorrow, let us know how it goes. :goodluck2: :goodluck1:
xxx
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby GaryFx » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:03 am

Hi everyone
Well had my appointment with my neurologist , and it didn't go to bad, the neurologist was quite sympathetic of my problems and she put my recent flare up down to just having been divorced , after seventeen years marriage my x didn't want to live with someone who was ill and whom she may have to look after. She explained things well and was generally very plesent which made a nice change, she has now put me on Gabapentine to see if that makes things any better, I still have to take my nortripteline and diazepam but hopefully it will start to help make me feel a little better, I took the first one last night and boy o boy it knocked my socks off, within half hour I could hardly keep my eyes open so went to bed and for a change I got a good night sleep without to much pain I just hope it keeps like that. It's funny I never thought I would ever use a site like this, but I'm so glad I did as I don't feel so alone now and I know there's people out there who I can share my problems and experiences with thanks everyone.
GaryFx
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:00 am

Glad to hear your Neuro appt went pretty well Gary, even better to hear that you had a pretty decent night's sleep too :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Gabapentin needs time to build up in your system, which can be anything from around a month up to 3 months for some, it all depends on how you react/respond to it. During this time, the dosage also tends to be increased at a steady rate as well. Whilst you had a pretty good night last night {and I'm only slightly envious} don't be surprised if, whilst levels are building up, that things are somewhat up and down, with some areas seeming to be improving more or quicker than others. It's the typical unpredictable nature of FM stirring things up, as if it's wanting to see just how far it can push the limits whilst your body becomes used to the properties of Gabapentin.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Doctors & Health Services