CBT

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

CBT

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:21 pm

Has anyone had this? I saw the therapist today and am going back in a couple of weeks. She seemed lovely, and sure we could work together to help. I'm hopeful it will stop me dwelling on negative thoughts (which can stop me sleeping) and maybe methods to deal with my 'down' days as well.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Re: CBT

Postby dazzleship » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:02 am

I haven't had this but I hope it helps for you Zia :-)
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:31 pm

I've done a couple of courses, it can help with how you deal with the pain (more positive ways of thinking) it has helped me. I let things go a lot more easily and I try not to fret about things I cant change, that sort of thing so I hope it helps you too :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:19 pm

I feel CBT has made the biggest impact to my life.

I had CBT for my anxiety but it also helped with the fibro as it was the symptoms that triggered it all off.

I had around 10 sessions in all. I have also had counselling and hypnotherapy.

Its hard work, i was in the darkest place i had ever experienced, very desperate (even asked to be sectioned!) i was so afraid of these thoughts in my head and very scared of life.

To get the best out of the therapy you must work hard. You get set homework (goals to achieve) in between sessions. Whilst attempting these i was told i could call my therapist at any time.

The homework is set on how to overcome your anxiety so alot of mine was venturing outside of the home as i had become agrophobic.

I learnt so much about my mind, the brain, me! and life. I found it fasinating as well.

I learnt to let go of problems that i had no control over, prioritize stresses and work on them one at a time. I learnt to say NO! I accepted my bad days and that it will take time to recover.

I learnt to take back control of my mind and thoughts and learnt my triggers and when i felt i was slipping back into old ways.

Theres so much more i learnt and i still use these now and even help others like my daughter who is suffering from severe anxiety.

I'm not 100% better as i live with chronic pain, have alot of stresses and so i manage symptoms as best i can. I still have a few areas i need to control but there not in my everyday life so i learn to try and work around them.

I still have my bad days but accept this and dont let it worry me as i'll end up back in the cycle. I have had a few bad times in my life just recently and could hear myself slipping, the thoughts returning, the voices and Catastrophizing. I get help straight away as soon as i feel this when before i couldnt work it out and that how i got so ill.

Good luck and i hope this help you to.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:13 am

Thanks all! That's the outcome I'd like denys :)

Thanks Lisa, that is such a helpful and thorough reply and gives me hope that it will really help me. I'm definitely not shy of doing some homework if it will help me in the long run :mrgreen: I'm glad that it has helped you so much.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:16 pm

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:35 pm

Ha ha well I lay in bed for hours last night worrying that I had to contact the jewellers before they threw out my clasp.

It was in my bag the whole time :roll: x gazillion

Now that is stuff I am hoping to learn how to control!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services