Open MRI Scanner

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Open MRI Scanner

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:14 pm

:wave:

For all my years on UK fibro forums i have not come accross anyone (that i can remember!) :lol: :crazy: thats had an open MRI. Is there anyone out there that has? Or am i a guinea pig here guinea_pi_1

Im awaiting an appointment for an open MRI scanner from a private company in Harley Street, London. Apparently only a few of these scattered around the country.

Its NHS funded although only a few are selected to be able to have this as apparently its a very high cost! and my consultant himself had to go to lengths to get me in so to speak.

Mind you i feel after 15 years of symptoms and them by accident not picking up on the fact that i may actualy have Ankylosing spondylitis and my back is starting to really curve inwards and give up on me that i now deserve some proper investigations. :roll:

I am tho clostrophobic, suffered anxiety since 14 years old, have wide hips ;-) :lol: and last time they tried to put me in a scanner to look at my lumbar spine (was having weakness in legs nothing to do with the fibro) it took a number of attempts and i was very stressed and aggressive (not me at all) and was a real bad ordeal never one to repeat, in fact i had trapped gallstones and refused an MRI! to detect them! thats how bad i am about the "coffin" :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Now i have been waiting a long time as the NHS (so i have been told) is not very good at handing out the doller and so i sit (many months) waiting on NHS to part with it so i can have my scan.

I have seen images on the web and can see that both sides of the scan is open and so if one gets stressed i shall roll out the sides and run! :f1-car:

Jesting aside i shall come back on and let you know how it went and hopefully this topic will alert my fellow anxious peoples that if you fear the dreaded MRI scanner then always ask if you can be refered :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Re: Open MRI Scanner

Postby ixel-chick » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:31 pm

Just googled it... looks very sci-fi! Wear a Star Trek uniform for the day when you get the app - and have someone take a pic! :lol:

Got no experience with it, just wanted to wish you the best of luck in getting the app soon!
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:43 pm

I have seen some open scanners that are like seats but thats another google :lol: but looking at the Harley Street website its defo the sci-fi one :alien: :alien:

found a piccy...
Attachments
MRI.jpg
MRI.jpg (4.86 KiB) Viewed 4381 times
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby ixel-chick » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:52 pm

Oooooo - you must pose for a pic in a Star Trek uniform!!! If I still had mine you could have had it (but I lent it to someone for Halloween, and the "female dog" never gave it back). Star Trek uniform and Santa hat and you'll be all set for the Christmas cards. :lol:
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:54 pm

:lol: :lol:

Just found a pick of the sitting one :
Attachments
Sit.jpg
Sit.jpg (4.29 KiB) Viewed 4379 times
*Lisa*

Postby denys » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:12 pm

Very hi tech hope your appointment comes in soon Lisa :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:49 am

Had my appointment today, got home 11.30pm!

Appointment time was for 7.20pm not 6.40 that i thought and they were running late so didnt get out until 9.15 ish :yikes:

TBH it was still very stressfull and terrifying. This being because even tho the sides are open the xray machine is still a few inches above your head / body.

I was tho lucky enough to have my friend allowed in to sat next to the machine talking to me to help me thro it.

Took me many attempts to still go through with it! This was also because they wanted me to have these things accross my chest and neck restricting any "open space" / blocking off open view. The neck brace came up to my face which i refused and the chest brace covered all the open space. also refused that!

The first part going in was the worst as the front of the machine seems lower down then as i went in further i would say an inch more.

Took many attempts to go in and i even thought at one point i couldnt do it and nearly left! but it was so important i had it done and had traveled into London and spent money to get there i had to try.

I managed it in the end with friend by my side encouraging me all the way.

I was in the scanner over an hour! i went in and out many times for a breather. I had to have a few parts of the spine re done and i even managed the chest brace for a bit but not the neck one.

I had to wear earplugs which added to the senses being restricted to.

I was in severe discomfort as had to lay still for so long and took 3 people to get me off the table when done as was so stiff :shock:

Anyways i got done what i could. He said the lower back wasnt clear enough but didnt seem worried at all and never re done this, but i did have an xray and a scan of lower back few years back so i wasnt worried either BUT i feel he see something in the thoratic spine and neck as he went over these a few times for better images.

These are the areas i havent had done and the main area in question. He said he had good pics of the thoratic spine but not of the neck as i didnt wear brace and i may have to come again for the neck which maybe he feels he see something or he would had dismissed it like lower back? anyways i done my best! By the end i was in a panic and went to press the button but machine stopped and it was over... luck! lol

I was exhausted and mentaly drained by this point and couldnt wait to get out so im hoping my consultant has enough to go on for now.

Does anyone now if i can have a CT scan for the neck? the what i call "doughnut" :lol: as i can do that if it comes to it.

So we shall see.
*Lisa*

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:17 pm

I am shocked that you weren't given Valium, or something to that effect to reduce your anxiety. In the US you can get a one off dose for situations (like the dentist), that requires you to be in a high stress environment, yet still respond if they need you to.

I am glad it is over for you, and I have had a CT of my chest and neck so that might be the best option for you.

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services