Why Cant Drs/Cons/Surgeons just be straight with you??

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Why Cant Drs/Cons/Surgeons just be straight with you??

Postby TNK* » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:18 pm

I had a knee op about 2 years ago now, i had the most horrid pain ever and just recently ive noticed it creeping back.

Been to my GP this morning to ask to be referred again, and she had a look at my notes to see what he said in his first report.

Now after my surgery, the surgeon said he had smoothed the cartilidge down so its as smooth s he can get it, and also he smoothed down the back of my kneecap as there was and i quote " a little bit of arthritis on the back of the kneecap".

So off i went away happy with the op, thinking i was lucky to have it discovered sooner and it was nly the starts of arthritis...only to find out today that what he actually says is that the meniscus was badly deteriorated and very ragged and it has been smoothed as much as it can be done, and the back of my kneecap had been debrided due to grade 3 OsteoArthritis.

This was news to me...im a bit livid that he didnt tell me this in the first place as i might have been able to look after myself a bit more, i would have certainly looked for a more suitable job than waiting on tables 30 hours a week (dont ask me how i manage to do it, as i really dont know). I could hacve taken up a bit more gentle excersise or lost a bit of weight to help.

I am actuallu winding myself up a more and more typing about it so im going to have to leave it there, I just wish those in the know would just be a bit more honest and let us know what is exactly wrong with our bodies.
Not only that, it would help greatly with any claims we have going on at the minute.
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Re: Why Cant Drs/Cons/Surgeons just be straight with you??

Postby MPSGuy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:20 pm

He told you he had smoothed the cartilage which is what he says in the letter to your doctor. He also told you you had some roughness/arthritis on the back of the knee cap which he tried to improve, which is also what he said in the letter? I don't quite understand why you are so upset with him, it doesn't change your situation, arthritis generally gets worse over time. :-?

To him grade 3 is probably only "A little bit of arthritis", because he will be seeing people with much more severe problems on a daily basis. With all respect you could have done exercise and lost weight anyway, taking care of yourself in that regard is something to do regardless of what the doctor says.

I don't want to sound heartless though, I do have sympathy! I also have damage in the meniscus the knee which I am waiting to see a surgeon about. Now while I've been waiting the opposite knee and ankle has started playing up as well. I'm over weight and need to lose a couple of stone (already lost 2 last year), but I think once you get to the stage of needing surgery the damage is done really. :(
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Re: Why Cant Drs/Cons/Surgeons just be straight with you??

Postby TNK* » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:28 am

Im fed up as i wasnt told the extent of the atrhritis, grade 3 OA is not just a little bit, there are 5 levels from 0-4 ...0 being none at all and 4 being severe so finding out i was grade 3 only yesterday when my op was 2 years ago is a bit annoying.

Ive found that some docs and cnsultants like to play down folks conditions, my gp said yesterday maybe its to prevent scaremongering, but if its going on in my body i would like to know about it!
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services