Any Dr's in Devon

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Any Dr's in Devon

Postby bikerwitch1 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:55 pm

Is there anyone who can help in Devon, just moved here over 3 mths ago.
My GP looks at me as if iam stupid and i have been to other Gps in the practice.
I am really desparate to get help as i have other health probs and i am going down hill rapidly.
For the first time ever thought about driving my car into a wall, i had just dropped my kids off at school and pre-school. I have been in so much pain as i have been for 13 yrs, hubby not supportive. Moving to the middle of nowhere and have no one to turn to does not help.
My 9 yr old son telling me i am no fun anymore breaks my heart, he does not understand i can't be the mother he knew as i have got worse. My four year old knows nothing else.
I have got lots of things going on, i have had enough of struggling and feeling alone.
bikerwitch1
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:55 am

Prof Davies has a private clinic in Bristol if that's any help?
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby shewhosings » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:34 am

I'm sorry to hear you're so down and that your GPs aren't helping at all.

http://www.nhs.uk/ServiceDirectories/Pa ... iceType=GP

That website will help you find any GPs in the area. I guess its generally a case of trying them all out to be honest. Or if not, going private.
shewhosings

Postby gillshutt » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:13 pm

If you're looking to change to another surgery it might be worth asking to talk to the practice manager beforehand... they may be able to tell you if any of the docs are fibro knowledgable.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Corinne » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:15 pm

Hi,

I really cant offer much more advice about doctors than has been given, although sometimes speaking to the practice manager can help & asking them which GP would be most likely to be helpful/sympathetic of FM. Hopefully as you get to know the practice better it will get easier.

As for the rest of your post, it sounds like you are really having a tough time in general & I hope you are feeling a little better in yourself by the time you read this. I think we all have times when it just all seems too much & you want to give up, but it will get better I promise.

Your kids love you no matter what & your son didnt mean to upset you & you are NOT letting him down in any way, you have a condition that can make life very hard sometimes & you are doing the best you can under the circumstances & no-one can ask for more than that!

Moving somewhere new & feeling isolated is something I can relate to, but give it time- and for now just try calling a good friend for a chat when you can- dont suffer in silence.

Is there any chance your hubby would be more supportive if he knew more about FM? There have been some articles printed recently that SHOW the abnormalities in the brain of people with FM- sometimes men are better with "proof"!

Either way, sending you ((hugs)) & I hope it is a better day,

Corinne x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Corinne
UKFM Member

Postby bikerwitch1 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:55 pm

Hi
Thanks for advice and support, i have not been able to anwser because i went back to were i lived before, stayed with a close friends of mine. Just got back a few hours a go.
I will phone and speak to the practice manager.
bikerwitch1
UKFM Member

Postby nobby » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:39 pm

I don't know where you live in Devon but I found Devon Square Surgery to be very understanding. Dr. Cronshaw who works there mostly tries to get me to exercise and lose weight but they all believe my illness and all have offered me the support I need. They've worked for me but they might not work for everyone.
nobby
UKFM Member

Re: Any Dr's in Devon

Postby hudson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:49 pm

Hi Don't know where in devon you are. I live in a small village aswell. I have R/A and Fybro.
There is Dr Kyle at North Devon District Hospital (he is the Rhunatoligist guy) he is the one who told me i have fybro he seemed ok.

Also i bought the book the Dummies guide to FYBROMYALGIA and got to hubby to read some, he is now wonderful...

hudson
hudson
UKFM Member

Re: Any Dr's in Devon

Postby roxichik » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:35 pm

Hi
I hope I'm not too late
I live in south Devon and have had a nightmare getting anyone to take me seriously. Finally I found a GP in Torquay - Abbey Road Surgey - Dr Braakenberg. I have also seen a consultant in Exeter hospital called Mr Mascarenhaus. Both are very sympathetic to FM and sjogrens syndrome.
I hope this helps
Heidi
roxichik
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services