living with pain course

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

living with pain course

Postby shazq » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:04 pm

i have got my dates to start the pain course, 1st one is june 17th. 2 hrs a time for 8 weeks.
2 of the sessions are in the physio dept.
I went for an interview a while back but i was to sick to attend them at that time, so they have given me the dates for their next course.
My OH went 2yrs ago if did not help him, but he was the only male on that course so i guess that did not help. Has anyone found them a help?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Re: living with pain course

Postby shazq » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:15 pm

start my first session tomorrow at our local hospital.
Not really sure what i will get out of it, but only time will tell.
I hate going to the hospital, the parking is a nightmare.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:41 pm

Good Luck!! & hope it goes well, let us know how you get on :mrgreen:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby shazq » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:50 pm

thanks Lisa, will do.
Its from 2pm-4pm, be shattered at the end...i hope i dont have to sit down for that long, i have to keep getting up and moving about as get stiff. i will be in lots of pain. :roll:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:16 pm

HI All
Had my 1st clinic today.
Was not going to go as had a bad head, during the course it got worse, but i hung it out.
Today was about how fibro affects us, how we cope with it.
Could not wait to get home.
Been laying down. Feel bit better now.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby nicegrins » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:18 pm

If it's like the back pain management I went on a few yrs ago, They tell you to get up and move around.

Good luck for this

Tracey
nicegrins
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:10 pm

Yes they did tell us if we need to walk around that was fine, and said if we needed to get fresh air to just go.
They were really nice. It was good to chat to the physio and psychologist, even better they are on our side.
They told us that they know what we have to go through on a daily basis.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:37 pm

This is a list of topics which we cover over the 8 weeks.
1:-Understanding cronic pain
2:- Understanding some common musculoskeletal problems.
3:- Demystifying medical Jargon
4:- The benefits of exercise and how to increase your fitness
5:- How to plan and pace your activities.
6:- How to set goals
7:- Managing unhelpful thinking
8:- Assertiveness communication
9:-Coping with loss
10:-Relaxation
11:-Ergonomic advice
12:- Information on disability and advice
13:- Helping you plan for the future.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby GeminiGirl » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:56 am

Who do you have to speak wtih to get on a "living with pain course" as I never heard about it before
GeminiGirl
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:34 am

GeminiGirl wrote:Who do you have to speak wtih to get on a "living with pain course" as I never heard about it before

The GP or Rheumi can forward you onto a corse...

Shaz, I'll be interested in some more in depth information... maybe a short paragraph here & there (when u can) :wink: on each subject so we can see to

:clap: :clap: :clap:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby shazq » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:56 pm

GeminiGirl wrote:Who do you have to speak wtih to get on a "living with pain course" as I never heard about it before

The Rhuemy put me forward for it.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:59 pm

*Lisa* wrote:

The GP or Rheumi can forward you onto a corse...

Shaz, I'll be interested in some more in depth information... maybe a short paragraph here & there (when u can) :wink: on each subject so we can see to

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I have a folder which they gave us to read through, that tells us what we will be discussing each week.
I will write a short piece on it later.x
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:43 pm

The first part of the living with pain course covered "Explaining chronic pain"

Basically, pain can be divided into 2 groups.

1:- ACUTE PAIN:- This is useful and protects the body from further damage until tissues heal.

2:- CHRONIC PAIN:- This pain that continues after the tissue damage has been repaired and is not useful in terms of protection. It then becomes a problem in it`s own right.

Chronic pain can affect up to 10% of the population at any one time.
For most of these people there will be no identifiable reasons for the pain but this doesn`t mean it is not real.
It is rarely due to a serious medical problem (eg cancer).

What we do know is that there is a abnormal activity of the nerves:-
A:-In the local area.
B:- In the spine.
C:- In the brain.

Because processing of the pain signals in the brain has been altered, certain feelings and emotions can effect how you experience your pain.
E.G If you are feeling unhappy at work, your pain may be more noticeable when you are working BUT if you won the lottery last week- your pain may feel more easy to deal with.

Chronic pain can affect the whole body and produces certain indentifiable chemical changes.
This may result in changed sleep pattens, irritability, depression or a range of other symptoms.

Coping strategies can influence the pain even if the amount of pain remains unchanged.
You will need to employ both physical and psychological strategies for the best results.

REMEMBER
Chronic pain is real but isn`t useful
Chronic pain does not equal tissue damage or harm.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:03 pm

PAIN GATES

For many years pain was thought to be felt in the body simply through the sending of pain messages along fixed nerve pathways to the brain rather like a telephone system with central exchange in the brain.

One theory that seems to explain a lot of what we see happening is the GATE CONTROL THEORY of pain.

THE GATE CONTROL THEORY OF PAIN

The theory is as follows:-

Nerves from all parts of the body run to the spinal cord that is the first main meeting point for the nervous system.
In the spinal cord it is thought that a series of "Gates" exist into which incoming pain messages pass from all over the body.

The intensity or volume of messages which emerge from the gates to reach the brain depend on whether:-

The gates are open, then lots of pain messages pass through to the brain and high levels of pain are felt.
The gates are more closed, then fewer messages pass through and less pain is felt.

There are thought to be many factors involved in opening and closing the gates.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:41 pm

Had pain clinic today.
We were only there for 1hr today as we were in the gym. No air con :banghead:
It was so hot, they did have fans on.
WE were allowed to try a few bits of equipment out.
I liked the round ball you sit on it and rock side to side, it is good for you tum, bum and thighs.

They told us it is important to do some exercise every day otherwise we will stiff up.
Exercise is good for your bones, joints, circulation.
Only do little bits each day even if it is only for a few minutes at a time.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Next

Return to Doctors & Health Services