living with pain course

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: living with pain course

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks for keeping us updated...

I bet exercising in this weather was terrible :yikes:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby shazq » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:46 pm

It was so hot in there.
We did not do to much, she mainly showed us what we can and cant do/use.
Just gentle steps, little at a time..
And she talked about us pacing, i told her i am finding that hard as i feel i should be up doing things, she told me not to as it would make me worse.
I know i should and i always give out that advice, but iam my own worse enemy.

The more we pace, our body recharges, so then we are able to do a bit more, then rest again to let the body recharge.

stretches next week.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:44 pm

Today we were in the gym again, thank goodness it was cooler today.
we were shown how do to some gentle exercises while sitting down.
There are still lots of little things we can do while still in our chairs. You can wiggle your ankles round and round a few times.
If you sit forward in your chair, you can twist your upper body from side to side.
Try to bend down to touch your toes. (while sitting).
Its hard to explain without showing pictures. (but hope you get the gist of it).

Tried to buy one of the exercise balls, i know Argos sell them, but they only sell the larger ones, so will have to get a smaller one from somewhere.
We were shown some more exercises using the balls.

I will miss next weeks one, so will update the following week.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby GeminiGirl » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:19 pm

Hi,
I asked my GP to refer me for a place on a pain course. However she had never heard of it. She is going to refer me to a pain clinic. Where is your pain course held? How did you get referred on it?
GeminiGirl
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi Gemini, shaz is off sick with swine flu ATM so she will reply as soon as shes back and feeling better :mrgreen:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby GeminiGirl » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:02 pm

Thanks Lisa

Hope you are feeling better soon shaz
GeminiGirl
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Hello :wave:

It was my Rheumy who put me forward to it.
It is run by our local hospital, the course runs for 8 weeks.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby GeminiGirl » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:30 pm

you dont have to answer this if you would prefer not to but where is your local hospital
GeminiGirl
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:39 pm

It is called:- Frimley Park Hospital. Its in Frimley surrey

The Rheumy is called :- DR Lloyd.
He is the one that dx the fibro.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby ChloeCat » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:25 pm

This sounds good. I've been on an Expert Patients Programme, which was six weeks for 2.5 hours. We were encouraged to get up and move around if sitting got too painful. It was especially for fibro sufferers, although there was me and one other lady with it, but it was interesting that the other people, with their health problems, we all had similar day-to-day difficulties. We didn't really cover much on exercise, though, but a lot of relaxation.
ChloeCat
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:57 pm

I'm getting really really stressed about this pain management course i'm suppose to be going on in August.

First of all they dont do them at my local hospital so i've got to travel on 2 buses to get there and 2 buses back, thats bad enough. I do drive but i normally only drive locally, mainly because my minds not always there. I would have to leave my children on there own for about 4 hrs even though course is only for 2 hrs, but they are only 13 and 10. I have no family who is able to look after them, parents and inlaws in there 70/80 with poor health.

I dont know what i would get out of this is worth all the hassle and probably discomfort it will cause. I already try to exercise several times a week even though its only for a bit so dont want to sit there for hours learning about that. On the other hand it would be nice to learn how to manage my pain.

I might see if i can put it off for now at least until children are back at school and that will be one less thing for me to worry about, but was told next course is next year.

Has anyone else attending these courses and got a lot of help from them
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby susiewoosie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:57 pm

I have my pain management course in August as well. I'm not looking forward to it either. I also suffer from agraphobia so leaving the house is really scarey.

Sue
susiewoosie
UKFM Newbie

Postby GeminiGirl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:28 am

Hi

i live in North West London. I would love to get on a pain course - i asked my GP about it but she had never heard of it. Dont really know where to look next - all suggestions greatly appreciated as i feel like everything is getting on top of me at the moment and I think that if i got on this course it would really help me
GeminiGirl
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:56 pm

I went to my gp for more strong painkillers and it was him who referee me to pain clinic.

When I went there the consultant said he would put me on a 9 week pain management course. the waiting list is long so they are doing a 6 week one to reduce it

it's a lot of hassle for me and was going to cancel but after having a really bad flare decided i'm definetly going on it.

Go and ask your gp if the local hospitals have pain clinics
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi
It was my Rheumy who put me forward to the pain clinic.
I have had my last one now.
They have a follow up session in nov. Then that's that.
I did learn about how to pace yourself through your pain.
Much of it is common sense.
Lots of talking about how you cope with it.
What exercises you can try.
Made friends too, which is a bonus.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Doctors & Health Services