living with pain course

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: living with pain course

Postby motherelephant » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:08 pm

I really enjoyed my pain management course .I found it very informative .The people who did it were very nice ,i believe they travel around the country so some of us could be seeing the same people.Motherelle.xx
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby hamstergirl » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:35 am

Hello everybody

I started my pain clinic course two weeks ago. They should've been 12 people going to it, but only four people turned up. I thought that was terrible to you, there is a long wait list for people to attend these and somebody else could have attended in there place. The second week, one lady didn't turn up so there was only three of us. Next week, one of us have informed them they he cannot attend, so there will only be two of us if the other lady doesnt turn up. She did want to us to transfer to the pain clinic that is running on a different day, but none of us can make it on the day, just hope that it will not be cancelled.

I think we will be covering the same as what shaz did on her pain course. The first week we looked into how we have pain in the second week we did relaxation which was lovely. I find relaxation very hard but she has given us a CD for us to do home to get use to it.

Next week, we are looking at exercise. In the following weeks, we are going to look at things like medication and physio. We have been told, if we want one to one, on any of the weeks that we have covered. They will do that for us.

I was dreading going on this course and I'm glad I didn't cancel. I just hope it gives me some benefit at the end of it
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:33 pm

:wave:

I hope its beneficial for you
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby shazq » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:38 pm

I hope they dont have to cancel your course, like you said others could have taken their place.

We had a couple of ladies who did not turn up too.

The ladies i met on the course have become friends, we meet up once a week for lunch. (if we are well enough.)
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby GeminiGirl » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi Guys,

The more i hear about this type of course the more i want to get on one. My GP does not know of any, they dont run any at my local hospital and i contacted my rheumatologist but she never came back to me. Any ideas on what I could do next???
GeminiGirl
UKFM Member

Postby marisae » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi

I live in Farnborough, Hampshire and my local hospital is Frimley Park also. I am having physio there but like the sound of the course. The local rheumi refused to see me as he said it was a waste of time as i have fms. I ended having to go to chertsey to get a dx from a rheumi. Would my GP be able to refer me.

Thanks

Marisa
marisae
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:00 pm

marisae wrote:Hi

I live in Farnborough, Hampshire and my local hospital is Frimley Park also. I am having physio there but like the sound of the course. The local rheumi refused to see me as he said it was a waste of time as i have fms. I ended having to go to chertsey to get a dx from a rheumi. Would my GP be able to refer me.

Thanks

Marisa

Hey marisae
Thats my hospital.
I saw DR lLOYD at Frimley park.
Thats where i had my pain course.
If you need the info on who to contact on who run the courses at Frimley let me know.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby marisae » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi Shaz

I would be really grateful to have any info you could give me. Thanks. I was supposed to see Dr Reilly in Jan before he cancelled saying that from the reports he had from my GP it was FMS and it would be a waste of time seeing me. Luckily last month i was seen at Chertsey and he did recommend a pain course but a GP has to refer me.

It is so nice to find a place where people understand. Also it is great to find someone who lives in the same area as i do.

Marisa :wave:
marisae
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:46 pm

I have made friends with the ladies on my pain clinic, we meet up once a week for lunch at Tesco`s, you are more then welcome to come meet us if you want.

The one reason i did go to the pain clinic was to meet some friends who live in this area.

I will look out my letter in the morning for you.
I will pm you the details.

Dr Lloyd sent me on the pain course.

Its good to meet you. let me know if you would like to meet up. :wave:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby marisae » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:48 pm

Hi

Thanks. It would be nice to meet up sometime.

Marisa :wave:
marisae
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:54 pm

hi

I was referred to the pain clinic by my gp. It was the consultant at the pain clinic that put me forward to go on this pain management course.

It would have been nice if some of the other people had FM, then understand what you are going through. Only 2 other people on course and both have problems with a disc in there back.
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:34 pm

Well i have just come back after finishing my last week of the pain management course.

I went in not sure what to expect, apart from what Shazq had put on about hers, but thought i might be pain free in six weeks.

Obviously that wasnt going to happen but i have learnt a lot. I've learned to try and relax more by doing relaxation, think before i react to any angry situation. If you are thinking hows that going to help, i thought that at first, but i've been trying hard and i now know that what they are saying is right.

Because there was only 3 on our course, we pretty much got one to one individual help, which i quite like. There should have been 15 so probably would have been impossible.

The lady said because there is only 3 of us we would finish early today and all be offered a follow up appointment on any subject we want help on further.

I asked for my medication to be looked at again and if there was any chance of having anything to help me sleep. She said they do courses to help you get into a sleep routine but they dont do them often. When i get my appointment for medication she will have looked into it and will let me know then. I know for me when i've slept well i cope a lot better, even though i am a lot stiffer when i wake up.
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:20 am

Glad you found your course a help too. :clap:

We did ask if there was a DR that would be able to come and chat to us about our meds.

The only Dr willing to do it was off at the time the course was running.

We have a review in Nov.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby hamstergirl » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi

I had my appointment today at the pain clinic today, my follow up from my pain management course.

We was going to discuss medication for during a flare up and sleep therapy. Well it was a different lady i'd not seen before who said there's no point having sleep therapy until i can make sure i'm not waking up in pain. She pretty much said i NEED to take medication besides pain killers to control my pain. I told her i'd tried medication before and i could not cope with side effects and only wanted something for when i'm in a flare.

She insisted i tried something else, went to see consultant if he could spare 2 mins to sort a different medication out. He suggested Lyrica (pregablin) 25 mg at 8pm and when i get use to that, take another at 8 in morning. He then wants me to increase dose to 50 mg twice a day. He's given me a prescription then asking doc to continue to prescribe these up to 75mg twice a day.

Anyway i went to chemist at hospital to get them and the consultant had given me 10 tablets at 25mg and 10 tablets at 50mg. I thought this would be under one prescription but he was going to charge me £14.40, he said because they were different strengths its classed as 2 perscription charges. I said there was no way i'm paying that for 20 tablets, plus if i dont get use to 25mg i wont need 50mg. He went off spoke to someone and said he would give me two boxes of 25mg which as 56 tablets in each so i can increase and decrease as and when i'm ready. Glad i spoke up now.

They have also suggested that i try the tens machine and they will show me how to use it and i can borrow it for one month. I did say my father in law lent me is but i didnt get any benefit from it. She did say if i wasnt using it correctly i wouldnt get any benefit.

I'm going to try this new medication but if side effects are too much i will stop again. I personally find the side effects far worse than the fm.

Take care everyone

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi
There are lots of members using lyrica.
Starting off slowly will hopefully stop the side effects.

I have just started a new med and i am upping them much slower then my GP told me to and so far i have been ok on them.

Good for you not paying out for the 2 meds.

I find the tens machine helps eases my pain, most chemists sale them so if you find it does help they are easy to get hold of.

Good luck with the lyrica. :hugs:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Previous

Return to Doctors & Health Services