nervous as got pain clinic tomorrow

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

nervous as got pain clinic tomorrow

Postby smiler22 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:29 pm

i have my first pain clinic tomorrow and im really nervous. for one i dont know how long ill be in there and no doubt ill be in pain with all the sitting etc. also i get upset when i have to talk to someone about how it affects me. as i suppose ive not got it in me yet that ive got this fm thing.
i just want to know that when i go theyll listen to me and not start saying its all in my head/. :needhug:
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Re: nervous as got pain clinic tomorrow

Postby loubie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:41 am

hi :hugs:
i haven't been to one so cant help very much but if your going to a pain clin then they will be very understanding. let us no how u get on :hugs:
loubie x
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:37 pm

Good luck :hugs:
*Lisa*

Postby shazq » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:57 pm

I have my 2nd one today.
Good luck. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby smiler22 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:08 pm

sorry they have also said if i need occupational health to visit im welcome if i need anything.
smiler22
UKFM Regular

pain clinic

Postby smiler22 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:11 pm

hi thanx for your replys. much appreciated. well here goes.

i walked in absoloutely bricking it. but within mionutes the nurse had been laughing and calm. she started by telling me what she would ask me about and etc etc .
She then said what the print out and letter from gp included. and asked me how long ive had each ailment for etc.
so i told her what problems i have and what pain in which areas. and to what degree of pain it was /is
i.e burning pain in my back and legs.
prickling in my legs and shoulders.
pin and s needles etc etc

Then she asked me if i need help with things at home and out. such as dressing, cooking etc etc .
Also whether i can drive. she then asked about what meds im on. including all of them even for my hayfever and asthma etc.

She then asked if there was any meds that ive taken in the past that i havent done very well with or been allergic too. as she said by telling them they know not to try them again.

We then went through all the things they could help me with. so i have signed up to try 4 weeks of accupuncture, 5 weeks of shiatsu(but if i dont like it or it makes me worse etc i can cancel when i like if it nopt for me.) and then i have been given a proper tens machine that has different settings. (hospital one not a cheaper version say from boots or lloyds. )

the one my mum has that i have used before. you can only use for 15mins. but this one from hospital i have to have on four times a day and for a lot longer. (i wont put what as i dont want people trying to self help. as tens machines is best if you get told by someone qualified to how long you as an individual need it for )

then ive got to up my cocodamol to 8 a day, take a movicol to help with constipation. then they want me to lower the amitriptyline or completely do without if i can. as it isnt helping ewith thte pain but does help with sleep. so they have said if need be there is something better than amitrip to help with sleep. which i dont mind as i hate amitrip.

if the above doesnt help or some of it does etc they have then said i may have to go onto gabapentin or pre something. but because im so young they would rather try me with holistic care such as accupuncture etc than go on lots of tablets with side effects. but they have also said there is lots of meds i can go on in the futrue when needed.

so i have come out feeling tearful as it is the first time ive spoken to health staff that actually belive ion me and not that its in my head.

at least now someone is trying to help. :needhug:

sorry for the long typing etc. but i thought if i put it in full what hsa happened today it might help someone else if they have to go to know what to expect.
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby loubie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:57 pm

oww big huggs :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

well done! glad it all went well and hope it helps too
keep us posted on your treatment
all the best x
loubie x :hugs:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:29 pm

Glad it went ok.
My Living with pain course is different, there are 8 of us.
Each week they cover certain topics.
For the next 2 weeks we are in the gym, just for an hr each time. Then back to 2hrs the following week.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby smiler22 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:47 pm

yep thanx this was the first initial clinic. so whether i will get sent on a pain course i do not know at the mo
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services