How bad do you have to get before anyone helps!!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

How bad do you have to get before anyone helps!!

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:53 am

Hi :wave:

This is not just about my problems but my friends to...

As it says above, how bad do you have to get :dunno: i lost total control of myself because the NHS couldnt fund me :evil:

I was told because i hadnt tried to kill myself or had a severe mental illness like schizophrienia they couldnt help me as they didnt have much funds :yikes: my dad had to get a loan out to pay for my therpies and with years of CBT/councilling etc i am now well but what if my dad couldnt have got the money :dunno:

My friends mum who has severe MS&Dementia is really ill to the point where she used violence upon her husband of over 30yrs last night & was very abusive and used foul language to my friend, she was sobbing so much this morning i was crying to :(

They called the police out as they said she'll need to be sectioned BUT a few hours later she was back home :dunno: they said she wasnt bad enough!!! :yikes:

So how bad do you have to be before you get help these days !!! :banghead:

Makes me sick!

Rant over
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Re: How bad do you have to get before anyone helps!!

Postby Smash » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:07 pm

Hi Lisa,

I can so relate to this! My OH has 7 mental health diagnosis'. She has had all of them since puberty and she was only just diagnosed in October 2006. The consultant who diagnosed her at this point, slapped all these labels on her and sent her away saying she'd be on a waiting list for treatment and it could take up to nine months. 2 and a half years later we were still waiting :roll:

three suicide attempts by her in 2007-2008 prompted me to drag her down to the doctors in Nov last year and demand a referral to the local pyschiatric hospital... and do you know what the doctor said? In front of my SO? She said "I don't see the point, there's no help for people like her." I swear I nearly hit her. I insisted and then I chased the assessment every week, she finally got assessed in Feb this year and started CBT in April, although she only has 16 weeks of CBT. But after much more chasing and bullying by me she has now been promised 18 months of pyschodynamic therapy to follow the CBT. So help is there, somewhere, unfotunately it takes a hell of a lot of effort to secure it though :dunno:

I think the classic of all classics that I heard from a doctor was when I was trying to explain how severely depressed she had gotten and cited her repeated attempts at suicide...

the doctor said "Yes but it was an attempt, and she didn't go through with it, and therefore she didn't cause harm to herself and it's not a priority..." :shock:

I replied "Oh ok, so when she has finally managed to kill herself you'd consider her a priority then would you? And how exactly are you going to go about treating her when she's dead?"

:roll:

The mental health services are so poor in this country it's unbelievable! If you can't see it...i.e it's not physical or recordable on a blood/biopsy etc test, the NHS just don't want to know... makes me so mad!
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain”
William Faulkner

^
^
Silly, silly man :roll:
Smash
UKFM Member

Postby nicegrins » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:16 pm

I was very depressed in november and after the doctor stuffed me up to the eyeballs with drugs and still threatend to kill myself. I have tried it before having an overdose, the last lot of pills he gave me made me that bad that I thought he wanted to kill me. after about six months told him no more crap inside of me and that I need proper help.

I was lucky they have Counsellors at our doctors it took about month before I could get to see one of them. I have stopped seeing him now and helped me alot and was told anytime I needed to go back, was to get another referal from my doctor (who is very suportive of me).

Tracey
nicegrins
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:54 pm

i find this absolutely disgraceful. there should be help out there. like you said at what point will they help. when theyve committed suicide it is truly too late.

have you ever heard of a group called MIND. they help with all kinds of mental health. i must say though i do not know to what extent whether they are still about but i know a friend of ours who had manic depression caused through low lithium levels went to the group MIND and they were very helpful.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby smiler22 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:56 pm

just looked it up and it looks like it still does exist. this is the link www.mind.org.uk hope it can help in some way. xx
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services