gp told me i have fibro and sent me home

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

gp told me i have fibro and sent me home

Postby furrytomato » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:43 pm

Hi this is my first post on this site and I am not sure whether I should be here or not.
I have been complaining to my gp for over a year of fatigue, aches and pains and losing strength all over my body. My gp thought it could be due to the severe depression I have been suffering for 3 years now. I got an appointment to see another gp at the surgery when there were no apps for my own gp as the severe pain in my arm (tendonitis) stretched around my body in to my chest and large muscles in my shoulders. When I told the doc what had been happening he listened to my chest told it was clear, he then touched my right rib cage and I nearly fell off the chair, He promptly told me it was fibro, gave me ibuprofen and sent me home. Since this vist to my doc the pain is becoming more severe and more widespread. I am having trouble walking and my home is getting very untidy because I just dont have the energy to do the housework anymore. On top of this my mum keeps on asking me to take her shopping and other such places and then calling me lazy because my housework is not getting done because by the time I get home I am exhausted. I am getting very frustrated and upset and I dont know what to do anymore. I have three children 10 yr old twins and a 6 yr old they are helping me as much as they can (I dont lke asking them to do the things that I should be doing).

Sorry to be moaning so much as a newbie but I am unsure of what I should do now, should I see my reg gp again or the gp that diagnosed fibro or just keep on struggling on my own?

again appologies for ranting so much, furrytomato. :!:
furrytomato
UKFM Member

Re: gp told me i have fibro and sent me home

Postby anne1206 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:05 pm

hi, furrytomato :welcome: as you will read from a lot of others on the site, some of us waited years to get a diagnosis of fibro, not that we wanted it, but at least we had a name for all the ailments we had. :crazy:
I think you should see your regular gp again, the stand maybe recognised that you have fibro but if he knew anything about it I dont think he would have given you ibrufen, as fibro is not inflamation and that is what ibrufen is for.
Have a read at some of the posts on here and that should help you decide what to do, try not to worry about your housework not getting done, we all have times like that, maybe you could print off "the letter to normals " from here or "the spoon theory" and give it to your mum, it may help her understand how you feel.
Any questions just ask and someone will be along to help

Take care, Anne
:hugs: :hugs:
durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Postby furrytomato » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi Anne thanks for the reply, I will go and see my reg gp again. The spoon theory is an excellent way to describe what I am feeling so I think I will show the letter to normals and the spoon theory to my family. Thanks again furry.
furrytomato
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:56 pm

Hi
Have you been seen by a Rheumy?, they are the ones that would normally DX fibro.
Does your GP understand fibro?

You should be on stronger pain killers.
Go back to see your GP, or try to see another one and tell them that you need stronger meds, i can`t tell you what will work for you but if you have a look around the site you will find posts up stating what meds we are on.
If you write them down take them to your GP.

Has your GP put you on any antidepressants/body relaxing/sleep meds?
A normal one fibro are Amitriptyline, there are a lot of fibro sufferers on them.

Once you have your pain under control and are sleeping better, you might be able to manage to be more active.
Don't overdo things though, just do little bits at a time, it is called pacing.
Listen to your body, if you need a rest then have a rest.

I really think you need some stronger meds.
Good luck, keep us updated.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby gillshutt » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:33 am

Good advice from everyone else so I'll just say hi and welcome ((xx))

Gill x x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby shrimp » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:26 pm

hi and welcome

ask your gp to refer you to rheumy and get definate diagnosis.....and keep on at your gp

my question to you is - you have 10 year old twins - my twins are 2 1/2 years - does it get any easier ???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

seriously - keep on at your gp - my mr and mrs gp kept giving me excuses for 18 months and now i cant pick my babies up and cant drive due to pain and weakness........finally a 3rd gp referred me and 6 months later got told fibro.........i complained about the mr and mrs gp to practice manager and they are bending over backwards to help me !!!!....

dont worry about the housework ....

shrimp xxx
I like to make people laugh xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi & :welcome:

Love the name :lol:

Another thing is i saw a chiroprator and he wrote to my GP about what he felt & thought :shock: and then the GP refered me to a Rhuemi.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby nobby » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:58 pm

I will say I was prescribed Ibuprofen too and than later found out that they might as well have given me a placebo as ibuprofen is useless as it's not a inflammatory illness.
nobby
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:17 pm

FM is not an inflammitry condition so iburforen may not help BUT it says it helps stiffness :dunno:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Doctors & Health Services