Experience with GP

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Experience with GP

Postby bluedog » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi again all

I just posted a hello in the welcome forum but I thought I would post here about my experiences with GPs over the last few months. After several years of back and muscle pain, which in the past I put down to sports injuries (as I used to do martial arts -- no chance now lol), I decided to see a doctor. Last summer (08) my back pain was a lot worse than previously - I used to get flare ups now and again, but last summer it was becoming almost constant, I was also having painful morning stiffness, and general mobility problems. After a lifetime of being fit I was worried what was happening. Anyway, I put up with it til about Oct - when the bad weather kicked in all hell broke loose - not only in my back but I was having pain everywhere - shoulders, hips, knees, ankles. I was also increasingly fatigued and really feeling lousy. I went to my GP, and got to see a locum doctor, who was nice enough and checked me over, stretching and so on. He said I may have some arthritis in my back but that the muscle pain was fibromyalgia. I had never heard of this before but he wrote it down on a piece of paper and told me to go and look it up on the internet :shock: . He also told me it was a sign of malnutrition :shock: :shock: :shock: and that I should try food combining :? . I went away and looked fibro up and was both shocked and relieved that what I read on various sites fit my symptoms exactly. What I didn't tell the GP cos I really didn't think it was connected was that my IBS had gone worse. I have had IBS since I was very young, actually my mum took me to the docs regularly when I was very small for constipation and was told that was me and it was nothing to worry about. But round about when my pains started getting worse so did my IBS. I also did not realise that my bad memory, which I had been experiencing for 2 years or more was also connected. Also my sleep has been erratic again for as long as I can remember. I never even slept as a baby my mum says lol. I find that when I drop off I wake so easily and sometimes I hardly sleep at all, or so it feels like.

Anyway, I tried the diet, and it didn't work. I tried cutting out caffeine, artificial sweeteners, and taking cod liver oil, gloucosamine, and vitamin B tablets. Nothing like this helped so I went back to the docs in April and saw another GP. He said that fibro was not a proper diagnosis and that I may have ankylosing spondylitis. He tested me for that and also inflamation (I assume rheumatoid arthritis) but they came back negative.

So I have been coping with this, and I think I do OK day by day. I am lucky that I can work from home a lot so I have not had much time off work. I have a 6 yr old son and 4 dogs so I have to stay active. I have cut out anything unecessary, like housework unless it really needs to be done. I think I do OK most of the time.

Then I got swine flu :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: . This knocked me out completely. I had it 3 weeks ago but I am only just back on my feet now. My pain has been really bad so the other day I went back to the docs. It was the same locum I saw originally last year who gave me the name fibromyalgia to look up on the net. Now, he says that there is no real diagnosis for fibro but he was calling my symptoms that cos he doesn't know what else to call it :? . He said he would refer me to a rheumatologist, which I was pleased about ------ however, and this is the point I have been coming too --- there is a point honest lol ----- I thought as I was being referred I would tell him also about my bad memory as that would be relevant to the referral letter. WRONG!

When I said I also had memory problems --- ie dificulty thinking, getting words wrong, short term memory laspes etc --- he said that there was no way that was connected to my pain problem :shock: . I said that I had read loads that said they were connected but he said that too much had been written about fibro that was not the case :shock: :shock: :shock: . Now, I didn't want to argue with him as I want to keep him on said, but actually I have a degree in psychology. I have not done neuropsych for several years but I know enough to know that what he was saying was nonsense. But I kep nice and jolly and humoured him.

So he says that he wants be to see a neurologist first to sort out the memory problem, and he won't prescribe me anything until I do :dunno: . He said the neuro may be able to find a connection with my various problems even if he can't...... DOH :|

I see from this board that loads of you have had probs with docs. I hope that the neuro will understand what I am saying and that he/she will not just dismiss me :dunno: . I am happy to see a neuro to rule out other possible problems, but in my heart I know I have fibro. I wish I had only mentioned the pain and stiffness to the GP though as he would then have referred me to a rheumy who may have been more knowledgable than the neuro????

Has anyone else here seen a neuro? I assume if the neuro cannot help I will then get referred to a rheumy?

And also, I am currently not taking any pain killers. I have tried the over the counter ones and they don't work. Volterol I think is the strongest I can get and they don't work. If I could live in the bath it would be fine lol.

Anyway thanks for reading, I would welcome hearing others experiences.

Michelle
bluedog
UKFM Member

Re: Experience with GP

Postby gillshutt » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:43 pm

You may be ok with a neuro, it depends how up on FM he is... it is a neuro problem after all but not many people know that :roll: so ask for a rheumy if you don't have any luck. Re painkillers have you tried co-codamol? Voltarol is an anti inflam and while it is a painkiller there isn't any inflammation with FM so you may be upsetting your stomach for no reason.

If co-codamol don't work, or work a little but not enough you should ask your gp for something... stronger co-codamol would be the first port of call. Or, if you have nerve type pains then Lyrica or gabapentin might be worth a try. The problem is that what works for one doesn't for another I'm afraid.

As for FM being down to diet :shock: yer man's an idiot :?

Gill x
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi
I hope the appointment for the Neuro does not take to long.
I was seen by a Neuro about a yr before i was DX with Fibro.
I had a brain scan, lucky that came back clear. I think i was sent as i was getting lots of migraine's to.
About a yr later i was still in pain, so my GP sent me to see the Rheumy, thinking it might be arthritis, at this time he said no it was not arthritis, but if i ever needed to be seen again he would always see me.

6 months down the rd i was still in pain, so got sent back to the Rheumy.
This time he said it was Fibro, he gave me a leaflet and told me to go home and get my head around it.
I knew all about Fibro as my partner was DX with it 4 yrs earlier.
I have another health problem and was already on strong painkillers, so he said he would not mess with my meds. And again said he will always see me if i deeded to and that he will leave it all up to my GP.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby bluedog » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:08 am

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. Been a while since I posted but I thought I would update this thread. I saw the neuro last week and it was a good experience. He had the letter from my GP and I think he had already diagnosed fibro even before he saw me lol. After I explained what had been happening to me he had no doubt that it was fibro. He had a student with him and went into detail for the benefit of both of us I think, about neurotransmitters and what theoretically might be the neurological causes of fibro. I was impressed that I actually followed this as it is over 10 years since I studied bio-psychology lol. Anyway, I have my diagnosis!!! I feel happy about this as now I know what it definitely is then I can learn how to manage it properly.

I have been on co-codamol which does ease the pains a little, doesn't do a great deal for my memory though, which is lousy, but I can live with it :crazy:

Michelle
bluedog
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services