Occupational Health Nightmare

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Occupational Health Nightmare

Postby dollydaydream » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:51 pm

I had to go and see the Occupational Health Consultant this afternoon (I have been off work for 5 months) and I have to say, it was a nightmare.

It was awful. He basically told me a whole barrel of carp. I gave him a copy of the dx letter from the Rheumy, and he asked me if I was on the amitryptylene (no, my GP won't write me up for that while I have undiagnosed heart condition). He then proceeded to tell me that I had seen a whole lot of doctors (no I haven't, I saw an A&E consultant and a Rheumy) and have gotten confused over all the different things they have told me. (1 told me I had a heart problem but needed tests, the other Fibromyalgia). He then told me that he didn't want to get bogged down with dx.

He told me that Fibro is a problem with the pain signalling system which invents pain which isn't really there, which he supposes I may find irritating on occasions (there are many words I would chose to describe my pain, but irritating would not be one of them!). We talked about my other symptoms; I said I was exhausted all the time. I told him that I wasn’t sleeping well and that I had awful dreams to which he said “So? Everyone dreams, it’s healthy to dream” I said that the Rheumy told me that I was having so many weird dreams that I was not falling into restive sleep, my muscles were tense far more than they should be, and that lack of restive sleep , she considered the “cause”. What did this bloody Occy Health doctor say “well that’s one way of looking at it, but you need to dream because people who don’t dream become really ill so I think you ought to be relieved you dream so much WTF!!!?

He asked me how I felt about going back to work. I asked him how he would feel if he was off for 5 months with stress and all he heard from his colleagues at work was how miserable everyone was, how they all want a new job, and how much the management team are screwing with them. Would he feel happy about going back to work? He said I had to decide if I wanted to keep this job or go get a new one. So I replied “gimme a break, who is going to take on an obese 40year old accountant who can’t handle stress – we both know I’m stuck here”
He asked me why I had a stick. I told him last time that my knees buckled and gave way, that when I fell I couldn’t get up because of the problems with my knees. He said I had to get out more. I said that was why OT had given me a wheelchair. Sometimes I push it, sometimes I sit down when I need to, and sometimes I get pushed. I have no idea when my ‘half way point’ is on a day to day basis, so often I don’t know till I have done all I can do. The wheelchair allows me to still enjoy the day with my family without us all turning round and going home early. He definitely didn’t like me having a wheelchair.

He said I needed an increasing program of exercise, doing more each day. I have to push through the pain. Despite the fact that it is exactly what my physio told me I should not be doing
I had the union guy with me, who was taking notes all through the meeting; thank god I had a witness. To be honest I feel like he had already made up his mind that I was a fat lazy woman who was swinging the lead and had been to see numerous doctors before I got a diagnosis I liked. That made me feel like a pethedine hopper!!!. He definitely gave the impression he didn’t approve of Fibromyalgia as a diagnosis, and certainly didn’t respect the clinical opinions of his colleagues in Rheumatology, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy or my GP.

Sorry this post is so long, I feel like giving up and turning my face to the wall. My friends knew I was seeing him today and all wanted me to text him with how I got on. I just sent them the text that I was out, shaken up by what had happened and that I was going home for a cry and switching my phone off. I haven’t switched it back on yet. What is the point of life?

I have posted this on another Fibro website as I nwould like to have other peoples take on this. Please bear with me. You don't have Deja Vu. But I would like some opinions as I am feeling very sorry for myself.xxx
Sending you love and light

Sarah xxx
dollydaydream
UKFM Member

Re: Occupational Health Nightmare

Postby anne1206 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:13 am

Oh, sarah what a rotten time of it you had, and what a jerk this guy sounds, dont want to use bad words but I bet like me you can think of a few to describe him/
Its quite obvious he doesnt know the first thing about fibro, and doesnt even sound like the kind of person who would read anything you printed off .
Sorry cant be much help but just wanted you to know that someone is thinking about you, dont worry about the long post, its good to vent somewhere, and wherebetter than on here to those of us who do understand how ou feel.

Take care Anne :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Postby shrimp » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:37 am

oh sarah what a rotten time you had.......no need to apologise for venting your frustration and anger on here - thats what these forums are all about - helping and listening to those that know what you are going thru.

if i were you - i would do a letter of complaint about him.....i thought these people were meant to be kind and understanding not make you feel like you are talking rubbish about your condition....

interesting to read that you are an accountant...i worked in insurance accounts for 20 years and used to add up really quickly in my mind,............not no more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry cant really be of any help, but just wanted to say chin up girl....

shrimp xxx
I like to make people laugh xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:46 am

Thats way out of order they way you have been treated.
I would put in a complaint about him.
I would also ask to be seen by another OT.

This guy sounds like he knows nothing about fibro.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby dollydaydream » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:50 pm

I don't get a choice. I have to see him. He's the Occupational Health consultant my employers have chosen for me to see. I have been off sick for so long that they have sent me to see their doctor - him!

My union bod even said that after so long, when she does come back, a 4week phased return is too short, can that be extended? He said no, it is company policy that it has to be done over 4weeks (no it isn't, I've seen the policy and it says Occupational Health can extend it). He then said that it was too expensive for me to be on full pay for longer than 4weeks while I was building back to full time. Cheers, so glad to know that my health has a price. Hubby is telling me to chuck it all in, but if I resign i won't get unemployment benefit, and we can't affort to have no income from me.

My sister has said that since he says that I have gotten so confused as I have seen so many doctors, I should ask for this doctor to put what he has told me in writing, . Then I will have his instructions down in writing and have proof that he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.

I'm bloody miserable. I haven't turned my phone back on yet. My friends have stopped texting and are now phoning the house demanding to talk to me. I know they are worrying about me but I just can't face talking to anyone right now but my hubby. My sister knows because I was stuck in a car with her and my kids for 2 hours today and they blabbed to her because they didn't like seeing mummy so upset and wanted her to put me right because daddy still hadn't fixed me and made me happy.

Happy families eh!
Sending you love and light

Sarah xxx
dollydaydream
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:41 am

Is there anyone higher you an talk to about this.
If you have seen that they can extend it, then you have to mention this, its not your fault you are ill.
Have you thought about going back part time? :hugs:

Having this DR put things in writing is a good idea, he sounds like he knows nothing about fibro.

Sorry i am not very clued up on this, to offer more help.

I think you should go and have a chat to CAB, they might be able to help you.

Good luck.
Keep us updated.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services