prescription charges

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

prescription charges

Postby loubie » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:13 pm

hi all :wave:
just wondering how many of you got frightened to go to Dr's because of the charge for your meds
i went to Dr's two weeks ago and came out with yet another 3 items to buy and at £7.20 a time its no joke. i am not working at the min i am on the sick and can not get any sick pay, so am finding it hard to keep asking hubby for the money as always had my own :oops:
its not a problem, as our money is our money but it dose get me down :(

my friend told us about prepaid prescription :o
i didn't no you could do that! so have just sent away for one £104 for the year and it will more than pay for itself over the year :D
so next time i go to Dr's i will ask for all my meds to be put on prescription as i also buy some separate because they were cheaper over the counter
loubie x :grouphug:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Re: prescription charges

Postby anne1206 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:06 pm

Gee I thought we were bad in Scotland, our prescrption charges are being reduced gradually, so that by 2011 we wont pay anything, at the moment it is set at £4 per item,
Doesnt affect me since hubby gave up work to look after me, we get income support so dont have to pay, thank goodness for that as I get 8 items on repeat every month and hubby gets two items :yikes:
The north south divide again rears its ugly head, but since we are all governed by by westminster why cant we all be the same. I know we have a scottish parliament here but we dont govern our own money, mental or what :yikes:

Take care, Anne :hugs: :hugs: :grouphug:
durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis///>Carry on and preserve yourselves for better times
anne1206
UKFM Member

Postby worf » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:46 pm

Asa well as FM i also have asthma so when i got to the chemist i usualy get a carrier bag of stuff :crazy: so i have been using a prepaid precription for a few years and have to say a big saving with that and it goes down next year again . I would advise all to get this if using more than about 8 scripts a year
Jim
How many doctors does it take to get a diagnosis? 11!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Learn when to stop, What ever it is will keep for another day!
worf
UKFM Member

Postby lizfin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:14 pm

im glad i dont have to pay (sorry not boasting) i would be a fortune for mine every month but because i take thyroxine( for under active thyroid) i get free xxxx
lizfin
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:51 pm

Everyone move to Wales... it's free here.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby shrimp » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:55 pm

i dont have to pay for mine - cos i didnt go back to work after maternity due to endo and then fibro i went on incapacity benefit and OH cut his hours right back to look after me and twins and when we first applied for child tax credit and working tax credit we were sent NHS exempt certificate for prescrips, dental care and eye tests - to be honest i was so embarrased to use it at first cos always worked and paid for everything - but it saves us huge amount of money - i get 8 lots of different meds a month - OH has bad hayfever and ashtma and gets 5 a month - he always used to get prepaid certificate for 6 months at a time.....

its terribly expensive.......

shrimp xx
I like to make people laugh xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:54 pm

hay monkey
move over the little lamb is moving in :lol: :lol:

i must have spent well over £104 since may wen i was took real bad :(
:crazy: :crazy:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:06 am

Loubie, there's already plenty of sheep here so you'd fit right in :D
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby B0B » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:23 am

Here in Northern Ireland it was £7 last year, £3.20 this year and next year it's free, can't wait as i have spent a fortune over the last lot of years.
Of all the things I lost in life, I miss my youth the most.
B0B
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:13 pm

hi i got pre payment as i have a load of tablets to take every month. it has saved me loads. i did get help for health costs for starters but because my benefit went up they took it of me. in the health costs help so now have to pay for my own.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:03 pm

Regions with free prescriptions (Wales in particular) have been reported as having more issues with getting GP support for expensive presciption medications so it's not all good. With a prepayment certificate, at least the cost is minimised.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Susieq » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:12 pm

Here in scotland it's £4 an item but free by 2011. A yearly prepayment card is £38....I've loads of meds now so it helps..

:woot:
Susan x
Susieq
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:41 am

LinzWorld wrote:Regions with free prescriptions (Wales in particular) have been reported as having more issues with getting GP support for expensive presciption medications so it's not all good. With a prepayment certificate, at least the cost is minimised.

I'd rather pay a small amount.. maybe per script rather than per item and have more money in the coffers... same with parking. Free parking means you can't get a space for love nor money :roll:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:31 pm

Me too. :)
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby smiler22 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:33 pm

then they wonder why there are people who try to get prescriptions for free. i know of people who have got there friends who get fre tablets to get tablets on their presciption. one was a husband who needed painkillers while his wife was pregnant and she also had the same tablets on repeat, which obviously she didnt take while pregnant but she ordered them and gave them too her husband to use. so they didnt have to pay. surely the doctors would realise that she wouldnt be taking them.

anyway. if they brought the prescirption prices down to what you said in scotland, say an avergage 4pound per item it would be better. and pre payment 104 pound is alot. i also think they should bring the pirces down for people that have been incapacity and dla for more than say 2 years. or for those that are long term sick. that tway it would cut out the people who go of sick will nilly and arent really sick from getting cheaper prescriptions but wok for the ones who are really ill.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Doctors & Health Services