Pain management and INPUT programme ???

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain management and INPUT programme ???

Postby DaveD » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi all

Wasn't sure where to post this but hey I guess a mod will move it if need be ?

I have seen a couple of pain management consultants in the past few years often resulting in those immortal words of ,' sorry but thats all we can do to help you ' . :roll:

The best help I received was acupuncture which led to me fitting ( thats a new one on me ) and spending the next 8 hours in A&E on a heart monitor and a saline drip . ( thanks )

I have now been referred to an INPUT PAIN MANAGEMENT PROGRAMME but how does this differ from what I have already experienced ? Is it that pain management try to help cure and the input programme tries to merely help you cope ???

many thanks

Dave
You may only be someone in the world, but to someone else, you may be the world.
DaveD
UKFM Member

Re: Pain management and INPUT programme ???

Postby shazq » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:10 pm

Sorry i cant be of much help here.
I guess it will help you learn to live/control the pain.

I went on a living with pain course, that covered lots of aera`s.
Learning how to live with the pain.
pacing.
Exercises.
Depression.
our meds.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby gillshutt » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:38 am

Sorry, I've no idea, all I've been sent for is physio and that was as much use as a chocolate teapot :(
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby DaveD » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:43 am

Well the good news will be that once I attend I will pass on all the trade secrets to you lot in the hope you can feel better !

If the treatment is worthy I will be sending you all the address and consultants details :shock: lol

atvb

Dave
You may only be someone in the world, but to someone else, you may be the world.
DaveD
UKFM Member

Postby DaveD » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:47 am

Google is your friend !

Heres the info from Guys and St Thomas'
Pain Management Unit

What is INPUT?

INPUT is a pain treatment unit at St.Thomas' Hospital. Patients come here from all over the country to learn better ways of coping with their pain and getting back to a normal life in spite of their problems.

The unit has an interdisciplinary staff of over twenty people, including doctors, psychologists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists and nurses. Patients stay in the unit, in a group of ten to twelve people, for a fixed length programme of either 2 or 4 weeks. During this time they learn more about their pain and to overcome their fears about it.
They start to get fitter and are taught ways of planning and organising their day that do not result in heightened levels of pain. This is combined with relaxation and other psychological ways of controlling the pain.

Atleast they are taking Fibro seriously I guess ?

atvb

Dave
DaveD
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:25 am

It's about coping and lifestye management. The physios and psychologists seem to be pretty good, but I've heard some bad accounts of some of the consultants who do not believe in Fibro. They're also a bit anti-medication (being used to people being addicted/tolerant to ineffective opioids) which may not be appropriate to all Fibromites.

However, it has helped a lot of people, even if they then need to put into practice what they've learnt and, as part of that, get better medications afterwards.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby DaveD » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:30 am

Thanks for that . :)

One thing in my favour is that I hardly take any medication , Gabapentin is about my lot infact .

I decided a long time ago that pain killers didn't work for me and have been a bit anti drugs since - saying that I do try different meds and give them time but rarely do they do anything to help .

atvb

Dave
DaveD
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:31 pm

Good luck with it Dave.
Keep us updated on your course. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services