Rhuemy and Osteopath

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Rhuemy and Osteopath

Postby Smash » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:53 am

Hi all,

Apologies for long absence... life keeps getting in the way lol

So Ifinally have my rheumatology appointment on Monday coming. I feel pretty lucky that I live in South London and get to see Professor Davies at Guy's ME/FMS Clinic. Don't think there's any danger of not being believed there :lol:

On a different note though, I damaged my lower back (again! :roll: ) two months ago. Another annular sprain. GP was bloomin' useless again and did exactly what they did last time, gave me three months worth of Diclofenac without even examining me :x

So I have been going to the British School of Osteopathy to get subsidised treatment, and the student I'm seeing is her in last year of study and understood FMS immediately. She's been really careful not to cause pressure pain, it's been great. Her consultant teacher is understanding to. But at my sesssion on Monday she told me for one of her exams last week she had to do a presentation on one of her patients and she chose me (I feel so blessed :lol: ). And she said she was absolutley shocked because when she mentioned my FMS one of the CONSULTANTS huffed and rolled her eyes....

I just sighed and said get used to it :roll:

She was really nice about me though bless her :mrgreen:

so anyway, I'll post again after Monday and let y'all know what happened... fingers crossed :wink:
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain”
William Faulkner

^
^
Silly, silly man :roll:
Smash
UKFM Member

Re: Rhuemy and Osteopath

Postby shazq » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:52 pm

Good luck for Monday Smash. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Good luck! Are you going private (to the FM/ME Clinic - the NHS one is FM only)? If so, have you filled in the questionnaires, read the notes on preparing for your apt, made a list of any questions and checked you know what questions to ask about meds?
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:16 pm

Good luck, we'll be thinking of you :hugs: and don't forget to let us know how you get on.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Smash » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:08 pm

LinzWorld wrote: Are you going private (to the FM/ME Clinic - the NHS one is FM only)? If so, have you filled in the questionnaires, read the notes on preparing for your apt, made a list of any questions and checked you know what questions to ask about meds?

my bad, I am going as an NHS patient so it must be FM only :crazy:

I'll let you all know how it went when I get back to work on Tuesday :D thanks for your kind comments and best wishes :hugs:
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain”
William Faulkner

^
^
Smash
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:15 pm

Oh okay. Good luck! Btw, you still need to prepare but ehy won't send you as much stuff to help you prepare on the NHS!
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Smash » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:06 pm

Hi all,

Have been to rheumy, and am sorely disappointed. They didn't send me any questionnaire to fill in and when I asked the receptionist she looked at me like I had grown two heads and said "We have your notes!"... :?

I waited an hour to be seen and then I was called in and poked for about 2 minutes. He said "Yup it's Fibromyalgia. I'll prescribe you acupan and blah blah (can't remember the name of the sleeping aid lol but it wasn't amitrip....). Contact your doctor next week. See you in nine months, make an appointment as you leave..."

and that was it! He didn't even pretend to listen when I asked how I might help myself and just grunted when I mentioned pilates/yoga etc and asked if it would help... my next appointment is in Sept 2010!!!

I feel so fobbed off :evil:

*sigh*
William Faulkner

^
^
Smash
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:38 am

The Fm Clinic is for medication recommendations primarily. They don't yet have access to physiotherapy or anything like that.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby dollydaydream » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi Smash

See you in nine months, make an appointment as you leave..."

To be honest, I think it is standard that most of us get a dx of Fibro and are then discharged back to GP 'care'. To have a follow up appt - even if it is a long way away - is great!!

In the meantime, if I were you, I would be back at the GP saying 'OK, got the dx, now what? What do I do about a,b,c,d........'

Tell him you want referrals to OT, a physio who has been trained in Fibro, wheelchair services..... You might also out of courtesy tell them that you are applying for blue badge/dla etc and they may be contacted. Don't forget to also register as disabled with social services as it does allow you to claim discretionary rates sometimes and has a handy tax break.

Love Sarah
Sending you love and light

Sarah xxx
dollydaydream
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:26 pm

That's the way to do it. You've got medication suggestions now you need to see your GP.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby smiler22 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:20 pm

at least you have a diag at last......

im afraid i had the same i had the one appt with rheumo. the was told to go back to my gp. no follow up appt nothing. didnt even say im discharged. :banghead:
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby Smash » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:09 am

Hi All,

I have been having a think and I have realised how lucky I am that i have a dx and that I got to see a rheumy, and that I have a follow up appt regardless of how far away it is.... so my apologies for being a total whiner *smacks self upside the head* :mrgreen:

Waiting for the letter from rheumy to arrive at GP's now (stupid postal strikes grrr) and then I'll go see GP and hash out what's best for future to manage it..

It would be too difficult to go on DLA as my partner is on incapacity, she has 7 diagnosed mental health conditions and I am her informal carer... (informal because they won't actually pay me for being a carer as I manage to have a full time job as well as look after her :roll: ) She is very high maintenance and expensive to keep lol so we couldn't afford to live if I gave up work, hey ho :dunno:

Work's been pretty good about it so far, they let me have time off for rheumy, GP, Osteo etc without whining and they've been pretty good about the time off sick I've accrued this year, I've had about 5 weeks off so far in bits and peices, a day here, couple of days there, a nasty two weeks when poxy swine flu went found office *huffs*. So I can't complain... just gotta try and take care of myself as well as her :wink:

thanks all for your replies and kind words and encouragement, :hugs: to all x
William Faulkner

^
^
Smash
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services