is it just a waste of time

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

is it just a waste of time

Postby iddm » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:14 pm

Hi
Please don't think I'm falling into depresion and looking for pity or sympathy at all. I've been fighting this a long time now.
but does anyone else feel that going to doctors and GP's just a waste of their time and the doctors???

The ones I've seen just seem uncomfortable because theres nothing they can do.
The rheumotology people were really interested, understanding, diagnosed the fibromyalgia but then said they don't treat so go back to my GP.

Who will again just look uncomfortable and at a loss as to what to do next. Its like they are thinking things up just so that they can be seen to be doing something but they don't expect it to make any difference in the long run.

Theres nothing they can do or say to change anything and the constant blood tests are expensive (for the surgury) just to come back negative.
I recently went to a physio who seemed fine and serious about giving me exercises etc until the fibromyagia was mentioned. He then said ...nothing more I can do, try swimming (which I try to do anyway) and the spondylosis (that I went to see him for) was just normal wear and tear for anyone else my age!!!!!

Whats the point in going?
Should I just be able to snap out of it and stop over reacting to some aches and pains.
I feel like those people who get a cold and say they have flu and are dying.

Maybe there is a mental side to this afterall and I do just need committing????
IDDM
IBS,CFS and FM but underneath I'm just me.
iddm
UKFM Member

Re: is it just a waste of time

Postby shazq » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:46 pm

Hi
I have a very good GP, he is the only GP in our surgery so he gets to know you which is a good thing for me.
My GP will sit and listen to me, he will go back over what meds i have been on before and then we discuss if i try a new med what the side effects are, he will go into detail about the meds and gives advice if i get any side effects and what to do about it.

I guess i am lucky i have an understanding GP.

Maybe you should try changing your GP?
Call around your local GP sergeries and ask if they have a GP who treats/understands Fibro.

Good luck.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby LinzWorld » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:03 pm

Good healthcare professionals will work with you. You still have to do a lot of work yourself, but they can help.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Harley » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:56 am

I agree with Linz on this one.My GP is brilliant and although she doesn't really understand everything about FM but she is open to any treatments I research and suggest and because I'm open to trying anything that might help she uses me as a guinea pig.

She has been honest enough to tell me that there is very little understanding of FM in the medical profession and she is the only GP out of 5 at the surgery that accepts the affects this illness has on people and because she is willing to help I don't mind having to do the leg work so to speak.

My FM is at a pretty much manageable stage for me at the minuit but if I find an article that I think will be of use or interest to someone else or that I think will be a benefit to me I print it off and take it in. If your GP is understanding they will read what you take them and hopefully act on it,if they don't try changing GP.
Harley
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:35 pm

I agree, its all IMO down to your GP and if there willing to work with you to put a management plan into action...
Work as a team.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby DerekJ » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:06 pm

It depends what you're looking for. If you're searching for a current solution to your health woes then you are definitely wasting your time, and probably your money too, because this does not exist today, and there is an enormous amount of research that needs to be done before we get anywhere near a solution. In my opinion some of the, too few, researchers that do exist are heading in directions that are only slowing down the resolution of this problem.

If you're after someone to sympathise and perhaps prescribe the odd bit of medication to make you feel better for a while, at least until it needs to be changed for something else, then you will need to pick your GP with care.

On a more altruistic note, the awareness of this illness, and related illnesses, needs to be increased so that able people are attracted to its resolution. This will never happen if we all suffer quietly at home, so it's important that we do not.
DerekJ
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:09 pm

If by solution, you mean cure, then I agree that it's not possible. But management is possible, even management so that you don't experience significant daily symptoms.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Mr.A » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:26 pm

Looks like you've drawn the short straw (one of many), in terms of GP's and healthcare professionals. Have you tried switching doctors? Have they offered you any medications?
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby Brenda » Sun May 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi, I too think like you, am off to doctors tomorrow but to be honest Im thinking whats the point, Ive been diagnosed given tablets and sent on my way. I have changed doctors but now thinking was this a good move, as there was only two doctors there and both knew me well, where as my new doctors theres about 6. I feel no one believes me as my pains come and go from one room to another, have ok days and bad days and really bad days. Pleased I saw your post just knowing theres people the same has giving me hope. Thank you. Brenda.x
Brenda
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun May 15, 2011 8:56 pm

Being given a dx and meds, then sent on your way has happened to a lot of us Brenda. Do you have another appt with the rheumy at a future date, or were you discharged after your first appt back to your GP for meds and things??

How many of the docs at your current surgery have you seen since you were dx'd with FM?? Some of them may not have had much experience with FM and not be really sure about how to approach it :dunno: :dunno: Some people find going to see their GP with some info from reliable source can help with the treatment they get from their GP, maybe trying something like that with one at your surgery that you feel more comfortable seeing could be an idea :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If not, and things don't improve, then maybe you could consider going back to your previous GP, if it's not too far or difficult to get there :dunno: :dunno:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Brenda » Sun May 15, 2011 9:35 pm

hi, saw a ruemy in 2003 had three appts then discharged to my gp.
Hardly went back to see them as I felt stupid and :oops: plus never got any where with them.
Then depression came and took hold of me real bad and still got it now.
going to docs in morning and wont leave till Iv explained every thing and want to be refered back to ruemy ang get some meds as I only take co-codomols and sertraline for depression. now my memory has just gone blank and cant remember what you wrote and what Iwas going to say soz well il be back later :?
Brenda
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun May 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Don't feel stupid about going to see your GP about FM, depression or anything else that is worrying you Brenda, they're recognised illnesses and can be managed/treated. How long have you been on your current meds :?: :?: If you've been on them for a while, it's possible they may be be the right ones, or a suitable dosage for you any more. You may not need to be referred back to the rheumy for different meds for FM, it's usual after dx and not needing to go back and see the rheumy again, that care/management is passed back to your GP. I might have put this on one of your other posts, but this linky will take you to the NHS Choices pages about FM, including what meds can be used to try and manage it http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalgia/Pages/Treatment.aspx

I would have thought you GP would be able to access it as well. There are various things to try in differing combinations, it can be a bit of trial and error, but it is possible to get some relief from what FM throws at us. It might be an idea to write down the things you want to talk about with your GP. It's something a lot of us do as it means we're less likely to forget things.

And, if you're not sure about what someone has written in a reply, if you use your mouse to pull the the tab on the right hand side of your screen down, it will take you to a review of what has been said by others, so you can have a look and check things if you want to.

:goodluck2: with your appt tomorrow :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Sun May 15, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi Brenda, cant add anything to what Flup has said, except :fingerscrossed: and :goodluck1: from me too :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby budda » Mon May 16, 2011 8:37 am

:goodluck1: and :fingerscrossed: from me to Brenda, hope things get sorted for you soon. :hugs:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Mon May 16, 2011 1:53 pm

:goodluck1: at the docs today. :wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Next

Return to Doctors & Health Services