Seeing Neurologist

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Seeing Neurologist

Postby amjs » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi all, I was diagnosed by a Rhematologist in June 2009 with Fibro after being investigated and gradually becoming less well since 2005. The reason I write now is that I started of by seeing a neurologist as I have had some neurological problems over the past 4 years, balance, increasing long and acute migraines, speech problems etc. I have been scanned etc and it has been decided some time ago that I have suffered a couple of mini strokes.

I am due to go to the neurologist this Friday but I was not acutally expecting an appt, I can only presume that my GP who is very caring, but seems to bring everthing back to 'are you depressed?' may have taken my comment about my memory seemly getting worse. I used to be a secondary school teacher in English but some days find it a challenge to spell any word.
My GP does listen but as I try to explain to her, I believe any reasonable person would be a little fed up if they were unable to do things they used to.
Generally I am a positive person and I guess I shall wait to see what the Neuro bod has to say, since Fibro is meant to be Neuro, I must think and write down some questions to ask.

Well thanks for reading, I just needed to chat.
Hugs to you all
:hugs:
amjs
UKFM Member

Re: Seeing Neurologist

Postby gillshutt » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:20 pm

Glad your gp seems to be listening and I hope the neuro can help in some way. I'm waiting for my 2nd appointment which will hopefully be soon. I had another MRI but it was all clear, he'll probably just say there's no known reason for my neuro symptoms but I've printed off some info on FM for him.

Since it's now thought to be a CNS problem he should know how to deal with FM patients who come to see him.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:23 pm

Good luck with your neuro appointment on Friday. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby amjs » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:29 pm

Thanks for your good wishes, I find that it's difficult to ask the consultants/drs the right questions, sometimes you know what you want to say but when you are there they either dismiss what you think important or baffle you with science.

:hugs: to you both and thanks for replying
amjs
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:24 am

Take a list of what you want to ask and hand it over when you get there or read them out or hand them over and ask if he could run through them for you in plain english. :hugs:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:14 pm

The following articles may be of use in prepping for your appointment. I'm a big believer in taking lists, but you have to work around the doctor. Some prefer to read them themselves, some don't.

http://www.fibroaction.org/Articles/Bec ... cle-3.aspx
http://www.fibroaction.org/Articles/Bec ... cle-4.aspx
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby amjs » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:35 pm

Thanks LinzWorld, really useful articles. I shall read them again tomorrow and start my list.
amjs
UKFM Member

Postby amjs » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:51 pm

Hello again, well I saw the Neurologist (registrar) this morning, in fact I have just got back. The journey is complicated and unfortunately I had to make it alone but I left with plenty of spare time, just incase I got lost.
The Registrar was very pleasent and his advice was to improve my sleeping pattern then my Memory, Aches and Fitness would all improve. His solution: More Amitriptyline! I am already on 75mg now, as I am taking it for a variety of reasons but as I explained I really don't want to take any more as surely at 100mg Amitriptyline becomes an antidepressive and he agreed that I probably don't need that. I ask if taking Amitriptyline could cause my memory problems, he doubted that. He checked the strength of my arms and legs and asked me to walk heel to toe, which he agreed I was poor at. He suggested my GP would be the best person to have a dialogue about Amitriptyline and may be streghtening exercises would help. He was concerned about my bedtime palpatations, and sent me for a ECG, but said he would send results to GP and I need not be seen by Neurology again. I asked if my memory problems could be to do with Fibromyalgia, he replied that he thought that highly unlikely!

So here I am sitting at home, I am due to see my GP next week ( as you have to book weeks in advance to see the same one).

I had to hoover as you feel so helpless, I have to ask why I had to travel 25miles to see a registrar who was 'bless him' ticking a box! :dunno:

When I have rested a little I will take the dogs out for a walk, I'm not sure that the walking will do me good but the fresh air will.

Thanks for listening
:hugs:
Angie
amjs
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:05 pm

HI Angie

I can understand how you feel about the ami`s, i have just been put on 100mg a night. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby gillshutt » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:45 pm

Sounds like he didn't know anything about FM :roll: Yes it could be down to FM and if you aren't sleeping properly and you are in pain that will make your memory problems worse.
Hope they can find something to help you sleep. I take nytol one a night and they knock me out but I only use them once in a while when I'm desperate as I don't want to get used to them and then need something else.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby amjs » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:56 pm

Thanks Shaz and Gill, I think the main problem was that the Registrar didn't know much if anything about FM and so was more than happy just to sign me off the Neurology List, as they have more urgent cases. FM doesn't seem to fit into any NHS department well, I am just hoping that my GP and me can sort out my meds. I have kind of worked out from reading other peoples comments ( thank goodness for this forum and others like it) that really you have to largely make your own journey through FM, sorting out the flare up and the various complications as they occur. You have probably heard all this before but to me I suppose it a type of acceptance.

I must say that it is great to chat to others who know exactly what it feels like.

Thanks
Angie :hugs:
amjs
UKFM Member

Postby amjs » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:31 pm

Shaz, can I ask did going up to 100mg Amitripyline help you, or is to early to say.
I get to sleep after a while but then tend to wake after the first hour, have to go to the loo and settle down again. Then it's 3 or 4 more wakes and trips to the loo before I wake in the morning feeling exhausted, washed out, achy (achey) and feeling sick. ( not a pretty sight!)
Any help with uping my amitriptyline as I'm sure my GP will say it's up to me.
Sorry to go on, but you probably went through the same questions yourself, if there could be a positive gain then I will give it a go.
My hubby is great but rather of the opinion that if a Dr said do it you shouldn't question it, I however was a nurse before I went into teaching so perhaps view Drs. in a slightly different light.

Thanks
Angie :)
amjs
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi Angie.

Any questions just ask, we really dont mind. :hugs:

I have only just gone up to 100mg of ami this tuesday. (3 nights so far.).
To be honest its a bit early really. I did sleep much better last night.

I suffer with bad migraines and lack of sleep does not help them, thats why my GP has upped them from 75mg, he said they would be better for me then sleeping pills.
Like you i only sleep for a couple of hrs, my brain will not shut off, i end up clock watching like you. I never feel as though i have had a good nights sleep.

I did not like the idea of going higher but i will give it a try, i am hoping they will reduce the migraines as i am sure lack of sleep could be a part of them.

I hope your GP understands and together you will work out what helps you and what dosent.
My GP is great he always gives me the full details of each med he tries me on and if they dont work we try another.

It might help you if you take a note of the drugs others are using then you can disscuss which ones are best suited for you.
Hope you get it all sorted soon. :hugs:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby amjs » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:48 pm

Thanks Shaz, for the reply.
I too am a fellow migraine sufferer and agree lack of sleep does make them worse. I take Topiranate 50mg nightly to prevent them occuring, I have found this drug really useful. I also take Imigraine 100mg for the onset. I have had a couple of minor strokes which they think may be connected to the serverity of some of the migraines. Luckily most of my bits and bobs work properly!

From a fellow sufferer, take care and I will have a good chat about meds with my GP.
Thanks
Angie :hugs:
amjs
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services