Young doc "I don't know what FM is.........."

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Young doc "I don't know what FM is.........."

Postby legacy69 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:52 pm

Yesterday, having endured my worst flare up ever, I ventured to my GP practice to ask/beg for some stronger painkillers. I was booked in to see a locum. I began by telling him that I had taken a coctail of Codeine, paractamol, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac and Amitryptaline, but to no avail.
So, what was the first thing this young (locum) doctor asked?

[i]"Have you been drinking? I ask because your pupils are constricted"[/i]"Eh? You what!!" I replied before assuring him that not only had I not been drinking, but that I never drink alcohol - I'm tee-total. Which, in retrospect, made me sound all the more guilty for denying it so vehemently - albeit true!

Didn't he know that Codeine has this effect on pupils - it's an OPIATE DOC!!
Anyhow, he then leans back in his chair and announces that he knows very little about FM . Then he goes into a long diatribe about how all the pain I am feeling stems from my head - that I must be depressed and this is how it manifests in my body! He then suggested taking Citalopram - an anti - depressant and asked if I ever felt like killing myself!
What has all this got to do with FM? I wondered.
"Yes, Doc. Of course I feel low. So would you if you lived with this pain. No, I don't want to top myself, I just want some damned good painkillers! And no, It does not stem from my thoughts as I have this ruddy pain when I'm otherwise happy"!!
My God! I left with no prescription. Just paranoia over tiny pupils, looking like an alcoholic and wondering whether it is all in my head as I hobbled along in agony.
:banghead: [/color][/size][/size][/size]
legacy69
UKFM Member

Re: Young doc "I don't know what FM is.........."

Postby gillshutt » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:24 pm

If that was me I would feel a complaint coming on :shock: Jeez your man is an idiot with no people skills at all. How the hell did he manage to qualify!

I would have a word with the practice manage and suggest that you don't appreciate being called an alcoholic with a mental disorder.

:hugs:
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Mr.A » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:13 am

We need to start recording these useless GP's and exposing them for the incompetent ****s that they are.

Without evidence, it's only your word against theirs.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:54 am

But at least if one person complains (even if they ignore it) it will go on record somewhere so next time it happens someone wll get suspicious. Even if they are insubstantiated a lot of complaints about a dr's manner and rude incompitence will set bells ringing somewhere. For all you know people have already ocmplained about this guy.

When you next see your own gp, tell him what was said and get him to check the idiot hasn't put anything on your notes.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Harley » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:18 am

I agree with Gill, the best thing to do is complain. We had a GP at our surgery who thought the answer to everything was paracetamol, his view was that if they didn't work then the pain was in your head!!!! :banghead: after many complaints from various patients he has been removed from the surgery.

I have found younger GP's to be more understanding of FMS but yours sounds like a nightmare Legacy, thank god he's just a locum and your not stuck with him!!!
Harley
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:43 am

Oh dear. Sounds like he was one of the med students issued with a med dictionary that said Fibro is psych. Med dictionary entries of Fibro vary from okay to saying it's psychosomatic to saying its inflammatory!
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:17 pm

You should change your doc.
Call around other surgery in your area and ask if they have any doc`s that understand or know how to treat fibro.
Good luck.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby ladymanvers » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:23 pm

I am SO angry on your behalf even though as a practising Christian I should be tolerant of this silly little g*t! He will learn (hopefully) as his career progresses (if it does!), but having worked in hospitals and at a GPs surgery (as an administrator - can't work now cos of fibro unless I can find only a few hours)there are a good percentage of docs who have an 'attitude' and, since it is a self supporting/closed ranks type of profession, always will be.
I have had countless personal experiences of the sheer humiliation of a fruitless doctors visits; many a time I wouldn't go with my probs as I became phobic about being disbelieved...it was only when I met and married my second (and current!) husband that he persuaded me I had to take my case forward and I was FINALLY diagnosed by a rheumatologist. Even since, my own GPs have an air of disbelief and even a retired female GP with whom I used to work and still keep occasionally in touch with, has problems accepting the condition!
Any of you out there with a good and understanding GP, hold onto them for dear life as I'm still waiting!!!
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby legacy69 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks for your responses - feeling a little less humiliated today and a little more proactive!
Next time I go to the surgery, I'll make sure it's my usual doc (who, in all fairness, has been very understanding ) and i think i'll mention the query he made as to whether i had FM or am just plain 'nissed as a pewt' lol.

As for putting me on Citalopram - he can forget it! Iknow this is real pain and not a by product of depression. Don't get me wrong - anti-depressants have their place. But that place isn't with me (YET!!!!!) :lol:

Realised my original post was covered in computer jargon and dingbats! Apologies - this is the first forum I have ever posted on, so please bear with me whilst I learn all the etiquette and techniques!!

Hope you are all having a relatively pain free time - and i'm glad to be part of this on-line community!!! :wave:
legacy69
UKFM Member

Postby Elsbeth » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:39 pm

WOW..am I the only one that thinks maybe just maybe if FM was seen as it should be then every doctor we see would be all clued up in the way we would like?

As much as I feel really bad that you had to go through that all he can do is go on what is taught and unless they are teaching it then how exactly is he uspposed to know exactly what it is?
I had a doctor who had been practising 40 odd years who hadn't come into contact with FM.

He was simply doing his job and if he hadn't of asked the questions he would have been in the wrong also.
In an ideal world we would all have doctors that know all there is to know about FM but the sad sad truth is that they don't.

You have no reason to feel humiliated at all, you did nothing wrong..but I have to say, I don't 100% totally think he did either, but that is just my opinion and I fully appreciate that I am 100% on my own in that thought.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Postby ladymanvers » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:32 am

You're actually right Elsbeth, I'm coming down off my high horse!...I guess even I, who likes objectivity, was allowing myself to be subjective in my reply...the trouble is, so many of us have years of built up frustration which comes out as feeling hurt and misunderstood by all manner of people including our own families in some cases.
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:02 am

Regardless of what he knew about FM he should haveat least known that the drugs she was taking would cause the pupil reaction and not acuse her of being a drinker! :shock: That IMO was a bad call on his part and totally uncalled for.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby Elsbeth » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Who says he didn't?

Maybe he was just covering his bases and making sure.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services