Can you believe this is what i was told

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Can you believe this is what i was told

Postby elizabeth » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:37 am

Hi have just got back from the doctor yesterday have a chest infection and a sinus infection and my asthma is not under control either. Explained to the doctor that i wanted to be sent back to rhume for a second opinion on my diagnosis.
The gp explianed that the consultant thinks it may be fibro but he cannot give a proper diagnosis as i have been on gabapentin and dhc about 3 months before i had been sent to rhume for bad shoulder and back pain.
It was that bad a I could not get dressed or even make a cup of tea, the consultant thinks the medication given may be masking the symptoms of fibro.

It seems i cant win, got to go back to gp in two weeks so he can tweek medication so things can be a bit better I am going to suggest that he takes me of the gabapentin and dhc and I know it will be really bad pain but I want him to send me back so the consultant so a proper diagnosis can be given without these medications masking the symptoms and I can finally have a proper diagnosis.
Have to admit I have even though of just stopping the dhc and gabapentin myself and then going back to my gp but I know I will get in loads of trouble and that wont make things better.

Anyone else had these sort of problems your advice would be much appreciated :wave:
elizabeth
UKFM Member

Re: Can you believe this is what i was told

Postby pet » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi elizabeth
I wouldnt worry to much about getting the diagnosis of fibromyalgia its more important to get your asthma under control,some go years before they are finally diagnosis correctly.

It really isnt a good idea to mess with your medication without the help of your gp,stopping meds can cause allsorts of problems.Good luck with it all.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to dance in the rain
pet
UKFM Member

Postby elizabeth » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:37 pm

hi thanks for your reply just want to get everything fixed and try to get back to some normality if I can, had to admit its hard going on a daily basis. can i ask do you get meds so your muscles can relax as mine dont seem to be able to and I think this is what causes some of the pain. :lol:
elizabeth
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:17 pm

elizabeth wrote:hi thanks for your reply just want to get everything fixed and try to get back to some normality if I can, had to admit its hard going on a daily basis. can i ask do you get meds so your muscles can relax as mine dont seem to be able to and I think this is what causes some of the pain. :lol:

lots of fibromites take Amitriptyline to relax the muscles and it helps you to sleep.

If you do stop taking you meds make sure you do it very slowly as you will get withdrawals really bad and make sure you have spoke to your GP first before you reduce any of them.

Hope you get some answers soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby LinzWorld » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:26 pm

There are a few meds meds that work as muscle relaxants - ami does a teeny bit.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby elizabeth » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi
Thanks for your reply was on amitripline 6omg and trazadone 200mg but was took off amitripline as it can heart problems combined with the trazadone. The only relief I get from the pain is when I take my trazadone and gabapentin at night. Night time nowadays seems to be getting earlier and earlier I pray for night time as i know that the only time my muscles and pain seem to get better and I relax and get some relief, waking up ealier and earlier now as soon as medication wares off. Then the days starts over again and the battle begins again I hate this fibro.

The good new is the doctor I seen the other days is the first one who took the time to listen and I felt he cared. usally my own doctor cant seem to get me out of the room fast enough, he said first we will hit this chest infectiuon hard, am on steroid tablets and antibotics and 2 different inhalers hopefully this will sort it out, am due to go for a endescope on monday for trouble with swallowing etc.

The doctor said once bit better he will sit down and discuss what more help they can give me which I must say is the best new I have had in a long time and hopefully all the stuff thats going on just know will be a bit better and i will get some control back over this fibro as it is controlling me just now and its a daily battle just to keep my head up and keep going.
elizabeth
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:44 am

Good luck with the scope on Monday.
Hope your infection clears soon, it does help having a GP who understands fibro, together you can find a med to control your pain. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby elizabeth » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:06 pm

Hi
Thanks for your reply, not looking forward to the scope tomorrow am really nervous am getting sedated so I wont remember to much thanks : :blowkiss:
elizabeth
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:30 pm

If you've still got symptoms, a diagnosis would still be possible. You might need to see someone with more experience though, like Prof Davies. Like most expert Fibro docs, he doesn't rely on the tender point test as it can give both false positive and negatives and can diagnose based on symptom history and what ahs been ruled out.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby elizabeth » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:03 pm

HI
Thanks for you email, if possible can you send me the the refrences please it would be a great help thanks. :)
elizabeth
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:26 pm

Sorry...references on which bit? If it was meds to try, see this link http://www.fibroaction.org/Pages/Medications.aspx - go through the pages till you find the medications you're interested in and then there's a link to references at the bootom of the page.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby elizabeth » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:23 am

HI
Thanks for the links to the page you have given they were a great help. :hugs:
elizabeth
UKFM Member

Postby elizabeth » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi
Got the scope yesterday was sore and had a attack of tachcardia during the procedure have got a hiatus hernia, feel a bit groggy today and a bit of a fever but ok.
elizabeth
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:58 pm

Glad you got it out of the way.
Sorry about the hernia. :cry:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby elizabeth » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks for your email. just seems its another one to add to my list of ailments, am glad though I got it over and done with :D
elizabeth
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services