any advice please

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

any advice please

Postby plodonsue » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:50 pm

I got married at the begining of this month. My husband works but has alot of debt . Now i dont think we can afford our meds he has about 6 meds a month and has to rotate the prescrictions as he cant affod them all at once and now il have to pay for mine which is about 7 meds a month. Do i stop my meds and live in pain and without my asthma stuff. We cant even afford the certificates as it would be 105 each i think so thats 210. but then theres the fact also that i always end up on antibiotics at least 1 a month so i consequensly end up with thrush.

I am at a loss. I need do decide quick as mr dr wants to see me again soon as he wants to take me off amitryptoline and put me on something else called Duloxetine.

Should I live in pain until we can sort out our debts. Which the thought its self is unbareable never mind the actual task.

Please do you have any ideas

From sue

:dunno: :? :yikes: :dunno:
plodonsue
UKFM Member

Re: any advice please

Postby loubie » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:59 pm

hi sue :wave:

think you can pay monthly for pre paid prescription card certificate have a look on the net sorry don't know the site
loubie x
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:00 pm

I have a pre-payment certificate thing paid for monthly over 10 months, making it just over a £10 a month. I'm on 4 meds, some of which can only last 2 weeks, depending on how many I need to take in a go. If you are able to draw up a budget, then it might fit in with your spending.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby nanatigtig » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:11 pm

I also pay monthly for pre paid perscription, as I have up to 10 meds per month, I have asthma,ecema and hayfever, as well as fybro.
My GP is playing with my meds so they change every two months or so.
nanatigtig
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:14 pm

if you are in that much pain then you obviously need the pain meds etc and if you hav easthma bad and you stop them then you could end up really ill in hospiatl.. and im sure you dont want to end up there.

as teh others said they do the prepayment in slots of monthly. i have just got one which is £10.40 a month for ten months.... or you can pay three monthly bursts... which is £31.20 every three months....

is there anything else you can cut down on in your life. ie do you smoke or drink alcohol..... if so if you cant give up smoking could you reduce the amount every week. cut down to say ten cigs at a cost of 5.00 (estimated as i dont smoke) instead of paying forty pound a week same as with drink....

or could you cut your grocery bills down by having the home produce products from say morrisons or asda etc. have there own make instead of paying full price for named brands....

if you have sky box and pay full amount every month could you cut that out and send the sky box back and get a free view box that will only cost you the intial payout....

check all you insurances and se if at renewal you can get them cheaper. dont always stick at the same company.... i use company of confused .com and get the best of price i can every year.

you may of already done all of the above and i know they are only some ideas........ if you still hav probs could you go to the cab. as im sure from what some people have told me they may be able to wrok out debt plans for you, and in soe extreme cases i know they have been able to write of some of people debts. etc....
good luck.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby plodonsue » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Thank you so much. I will try the monthly payments.

We was only married last saturday (2nd Jan) and I am reworking the budjet at the moment and contacting companies for help with our finances. it just very difficult at the moment. We have no money now and my fella doesnt get paid until the 28th. But I will get on top of it. Iv only been doing this for a week but im learning. If you have any advice for me for married life or life in general id be very greatful.

Again thank you for your advice so far

From
Sue :D
plodonsue
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:08 pm

I used to work in banking and we had numerous customers in a situation that sounds similar to what you're describing. With payments, we asked for a detailed list of what was paid in, how often etc plus full details of all outgoings. We would then look at what was left, see what percentage of debts amount each company came to, them the remainder was divided up based on the percentage (hope this makes sense) For example, if £100 was left (I'm only using these figures as they're easy to work with for my addles brain), one debt that was 25% of the amount would get £25, one that was 10% would get £10 and so on. If you're finding the number crunching not so easy, there are various charities/organisations that can give you free advice and help. Please try to avoid the ones that make a charge for their services as it will take up a chunk of what you have left. Hopefully, if you can get a budget sorted and go to the various places you need to with a structured payment plan, they'll be more helpful with things like reducing/freezing interest, accepting lower payments etc. Good Luck :hugs: :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby hamstergirl » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi

i didn't know you could pay monthly for meds, I'm going to look into it. I thought you had to pay yearly which I can't afford. I'm trying out diff meds at moment. It's costing quite a bit and I'm sick of my cupboard being full of unused med.

I hate to admit it but I used to work as a secretary in a debt agency. If people responded to our letters about debts and said they could only afford £1.00 a week. We use to get them to list, and prove, their incomings and outgoings and if that's all they could afford that was ok if they stuck to it. What I'm saying if you contact all you debtors tell them what you can afford, it's better than just ignoring them.

I found married life hard at first, so many rows. We got married on June and thought we'd be divorced by Christmas. I has to cope with fm in this time as well. We've been married 16 years now and things are so different. We rarely argue now. So I'm pretty much saying you've got to give and take and when your going through a rough patch things can only get better. there has been times when I thought I'm going to leave but so glad I worked through our rough patches.

I hope things work out for you finacially and congratulations on your wedding.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:22 pm

If it helps, this is the linky to the prescription prepayment site

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Medicinespharmacyandindustry/Prescriptions/NHSCosts/DH_4049383

I have a 12 month PPC and use the 10 month direct debit option.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:24 pm

PPCs are amazing as they cover all your prescription meds, not just regular ones! :)
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby smiler22 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:33 pm

i was paying out nearly 385 a year in meds and prescriptions now im only paying the 140 a year through the ten month instalments.... so as you can see alot of saving...... i tend to try to put a 10 pound away everymonth out of what i am saving on prescriptions an dthat helps pay towards the prescription charges the next year.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby sue59 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:54 pm

I have had a lot of debt due to finishing work through ill health. Contact the Counsumer Cedit Councile website address CCCS.co.uk it is free and they will help you and work out a payment management plan for you. They will inform you what you can budget for even hairdressing magazines etc and they will deal direct with your creditors. Also the pre payment for your prescriptions is a must! Good luck
sue59
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:11 pm

sue59 wrote:I have had a lot of debt due to finishing work through ill health. Contact the Counsumer Cedit Councile website address CCCS.co.uk it is free and they will help you and work out a payment management plan for you. They will inform you what you can budget for even hairdressing magazines etc and they will deal direct with your creditors. Also the pre payment for your prescriptions is a must! Good luck

Christians Against Poverty also have a similar service. Their linky is http://www.capuk.org/home/index.php

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Doctors & Health Services