Excellent Fibromyalgia Treatment Centres on NHS

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Excellent Fibromyalgia Treatment Centres on NHS

Postby robertcohen » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:05 pm

I live in London and travel every six months to Dudley's Russell Hall Hospital for a weeks stay for Ligoncaine (Lidocaine) infusions which really helps.

The Royal Free in Hampstead (Rheumatolgy) and Guys St. Thomas (Pain Management) in London are also good treatment centre's as they are Fibromyalgia aware. At Guys I am seeing a pain consultant called Dr W. Hamann, he is helping me out of my flair up. He has given me Morphine to get me out of the bad part and has refered me for inhouse physio.

For those who have private medical insurance can be seen by Dr Huskinsson who treats at the King Edward VIII hospital in Marylebone in London who also gives his patients in house physio and hydrotherphy as well as a weeks instay of lignocaine infustions. Unfort. for me my insurance company will no longer cover me so I using the NHS which is not as good but you have to fight for your treatment.

I am trying to get Acupuncture, Massage and Hydrothrephy on the NHS but it is taking time. My referral to Royal Free will be in November sometime so I keep you posted on the outcome as it a lot easier then going to Dudley which was the first FM Centre in operation on NHS.

Get your doctor's to refer you to Micheal Tai who is based at NHS Wrexham Park in Berkshire. He operates at serveral hospitals in the UK including Chase Farm in Enfield and Royal Free in Hampstead. It was Mr Tai who referred me to the Corbett Hospital in Stourbridge where the treatment moved to the newly opened Russell Hall. For Once I go somewhere where staff know what they are doing and talking about. All FM Aware and Trained, just what you need.

So for those in London go to Guys and St. Thomas for Pain Management and Royal Free for treatment.
robertcohen
UKFM Member

Treatment Centres

Postby CarolH » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:00 am

Hi i have just read you post and would be interested to know if you have actually been successful in getting any treatment on the NHS. If so would you mind letting me know what and if it helped? Hydrotherapy sounds good and I feel it might be of benefit. Anybody else tried it? Regards Carol H
I am 46 years old and have FM for over 10 years . Winters are worse for me now (Must be age too). Try to keep positive but get upset at limitations FM puts on me and my life.
CarolH
UKFM Member

hydrotherpy

Postby cassi-opi » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:22 pm

HI every one out there
i was lucky enough to do a ten week coursein our hospital pool at torbay hospital i felt that at last the nhs had come up trumps,
I met 9 other people with fibro and the exersizes were very gentle i also think ti motivated a few of us to seek other forms of exersize, we were also given easy do at your own pace streching exersizes.
ALAS the next program my brilliant doctor(yes he is very undestanding)
SENT ME to a gym with a personal trainer ,well when i told my daughters about it they wanted to come aswell .
THe first time i went for a chat to sort out my program,that was ok till the instructor wanted to take my blood pressure (not nice for fibro ) i told him that it was one of my worse points he than pumpped the thing i felt like my arm was going to explode i bit my lip so hard it bled i couldnt cry in a gym he was writing away still keeping up the pressure much longer than the doctor takes i had to say i want this off now he looked at me as if i was mad (actually i was) i then asked if he had trained anyone with fibro OH YES LOADS
well i went 4 times i was on exactley the same program as a lady who had blood pressure problems i tryed so hard to do the exersizes set for me but i just had to keep on stopping i felt as if i was supposed to be able to do these things each time i came out of the gym i was shaking feeling weak and hurt like mad , i thought it would get easyer as time went on but it didnt i ended up as bad as i had been 9 months before .
i dont belive that the so called trainer knew anything about fibro.
he set me back 9 months .so if you get any fittness training make shure they know what fibro is BE WARNED i didnt ask MY faultFAULT :lol: :lol: :roll: OH NO SPELL CHECKER SORRY HOPE YOU CAN READ THIS :oops:
cassi-opi
UKFM Member

Exercise

Postby lynndy-lou » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:31 pm

I used to go to deep water aqua therapy and I loved it, unfortunately they stopped it.
I was refered to the gym by my Dr with a prescription to exercise. A lady came from a set up called health works, not the staff from the gym she has extra health training.
She asked me what I needed from the gym, she asked me if the exercises were ok if I said no she tried something else.
I,m still going and I feel alot better for it.
lynndy-lou
UKFM Member

DRS

Postby princess » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:50 pm

ANYONE KNOW OF GOOD TREATMENT IN SCOTLAND?
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Loopy lou » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:12 pm

:shock:
Hi Guys
Does anyone know if there is any treatment in Bristol???
My doctor is very new, as am i, to FM and it would be great to go to him with some information.
I have 2 small children so i can't take stromg painkillers during the day but worried what other treatments were out there?
Loopy lou
UKFM Member

Postby Ivyleaf » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:43 am

Click on this banner at the top of the screen:

It brings up info on 2 clincs - one in London the other in Bristol.
Ivyleaf

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:17 am

Note - they are Prof John Davies (of the NHS FM Cliic at Guys) private clinics.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Ivyleaf » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:45 am

Yes the Guys Hospital clinic he runs is on the NHS but the Bristol one it appears is private.
Ivyleaf

Postby samantha louise » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:11 pm

anyone know of any in yorkshire
samantha - louise
and my two little wiggles!
xxx

fuddle off... no,... YOU fuddle off!!
samantha louise
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:58 pm

Sorry, no.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Re: EXCELLENT FIBROMYALGIA TREATMENT CENTRES ON NHS

Postby smiler22 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:41 pm

it would great if i could get to one of the clinic at guys but i think the travelling would be too much for me. so for now i gotta hope that the pain clinic can help me. xx
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Re: Excellent Fibromyalgia Treatment Centres on NHS

Postby Lisa21 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:58 pm

I guess there is nothing like this near Guildford, Surrey for Fibromyalgia. :?
Fibromyalgia, Costochondritis, Hypermobility, Asthma, Crohn's Disease,PCOS, Vitamin D & B12 Deficiency
Lisa21
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:36 pm

Guildford is within easy reach of London.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby spindell40 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:43 am

Hello all

Im would be really interested to find out if there is any centres near kent, i have a major problem with traveling on public transport, ( a phobia, not fibro related,,,, IM just a whimp :crazy: ) It encouraging that there are centres that deal with fibro, hopefully ther will be more in the futre.

Spin :wave:
spindell40
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Doctors & Health Services