grrrr ignorant dr's

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

grrrr ignorant dr's

Postby fabme » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:01 pm

Yesterday I went to chest clinic at my local hospital for a routine follow up appointment as I have bronchiectasis as well as fibro and chron fatigue. When we went into see the doctor who was a registrar i think, he started on about why was i in a wheelchair and using walking sticks. so i explained about the fibro etc and that i can't walk very well, he came back with your too young to be sitting in a wheelchair, what happens when you walk, so again said about feeling like wearing concrete boots, constant pain in ankles knees back etc. his reply was, you should fight through this and walk more it's no good been in a chair as you need to exercise. then it came to the putting on weight, yes i know i've put a lot of weight on as on tablets that increase weight gain, i can't do too much walking, and exersise haha :evil: but you need to loose weight for your chest conditions you need to get some exercise done and eat less.

then we got onto my bronch, he started to examine me, then decided to ask who it was with me, i said it was my husband but felt like saying it's my taxi driver. I came away feeling so angry, i don't need anyone to tell me to loose weight, and i would love to excerise, i had to stop hydrotherpy as i reacted so badly to the excerise. who do they think they are, he so obvioulsy had no experiance or no belife about fibro. wonder if he works for Atos doing the esa medicals :banghead:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Re: grrrr ignorant dr's

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:04 pm

Sorry you didn't like the doctor.

Exercise is extremely helpful for many people with Fibro but it needs to be properly done (e.g. if at first you can only cope with a couple of minutes of hydrotherapy then starting you out doing an hour at a time is pointless) and both sleep & myofascial issues should be addressed to allow you to both do the exercise with less pain and after-effects and to allow you to fully benefit from you.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby ladymanvers » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Linz was just saying about ignorance in health 'professionals' and in my experience I have had bloomin' COUNTLESS reactions like yours....how can we expect our friends to take us seriously if the health professional won't/can't!!!!!!

It INFURIATES me, this ignorance; I, too, try and have tried to exercise recently and over the years and each and every time have an extreme and ill reaction to even a slight bit of overdoing it. The only thing I can do is gentle stretching.......we HAVE to raise awareness somehow, I am so boiled up about it all!!!!

Ju.xxxx :blowkiss:
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:15 pm

Lol Ju. :)

The most annoying thing I find is how much info there is available on Fibro (thrugh research etc) and how little gets to where its needed (this was a big part of why FibroAction was set up).

This information can make a huge difference to people's lives....I've known patients who were desperate and unable to exercise like you, but with one appropriate prescription and some appropriate physical therapy (e.g. myofascial release) they started to get control of their Fibro and could do the exercise their GP had just kept going on about without giving them the tools to allow them to utilise it.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Elsbeth » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:27 pm

With all due respect he is a chest clinic doctor, not a Rheumi.

Why would he know the ins and outs of a disorder that has no bearing on his speciality?

I appreciate that it must have been horrid hearing those things and that it is always hard being told that but everything he said was true.

Exercise is the Key and he is right we are mostly all too young to be sat in a wheelchair so nothing he said was actually wrong but the trouble is we don't like being told it.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Postby fabme » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:49 pm

hi thanks for your posts, i'd like to answer some of your comments. I was refered to the physio's who duly gave me some gentle exercises, which i could tolerate, but then refered me to hydrotherapy and the physios put me into the pool for a full 1hr session, and wanted me to keep moving for the full hour, i reacted so badly i had the worst flare ever that lasted nearly five weeks. I'm on ami's which help with sleep
It wasn't the doctor i didn't like it was his rude arrogant attitude, and he was so dismissive of the reasons why i find it so hard to walk. Elsbeth when a doctor goes down the medical avenue and not surgery they have to experiance lots of different aspects of medcine such as rheumatology, care of the elderly and chest etc. also junior doctors (like this one)in local hospitals such as ours also deal with general medcine as well as say chest. Also on night and weekends they cover for other aspects of medical care in the hospital such as rheumi so to say he was a chest doctor not a rheumi, is not excuse for his behaviour or ignorance. i was a nurse and health visitor upto 2005, and I met a lot of doctors who were great and on the other side who were rude and arrogant, yes i know what he was saying may have been true, but my appointment was for my bronchiectasis not fibro/chronic fatigue.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby Elsbeth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:28 pm

OK so reading what you have just said..

When the information he gave was actually medically correct, the fact that exercise is actually quite vital to Fibro despite you not being able to do it, how does that make him ignorant?

Exercise will actually help bronchial problems as well. I know this as I have asthma and I always find that when I gain weight and am not able to do anything my asthma worsens, as does my best friend. Seeing as they are from the same family I can see where he was coming from actually.

I can accept that maybe the way he spoke to you was rude, and that he maybe could have phrased things differently, but to call him ignorant is a touch harsh.. but that is just me.

Maybe i am not the sort to get offended easily.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Postby ladymanvers » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:54 pm

I can understand both the subjective and objective aspects of this debate as I, too, have worked (administratively) in hospitals and at a GP's surgery, and have therefore worked alongside all manner of health professionals and, of course, am a Fibro sufferer and so have been at the dispiriting receiving end of brusque and disbelieving medics...

Fabme is right when she states that, like in any profession, there are wonderful docs and yet a heck of a lot of docs have a superiority complex and put one down (when we ALREADY feel down due to Fibro mugging).

They invariably do not understand fibrofog either and our inability on some days to express ourselves coherently. Couple that with a no 'people skills' misogynist to boot and a potent recipe for misunderstanding is born... :evil:

Ju.xxx :wave:
ladymanvers
UKFM Member

Postby Miss sleepy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Blimey, talk about an "I am the law" attitude! I can tollerate 'you should exercise more' from people i work with and stuff, however you explain to them the issues and they generally take that on board. In the least I would have expected a "professional" to take on board your explanations of a condition which he clearly knew nothing about.
Do you have to go back? Perhaps printed info to take with you next time?
Never judge a day by the weather.
The best things in life aren't things.
Speak softly and wear a loud shirt.
Goals are deceptive - the unaimed arrow never misses.
Beauty is internal - looks mean nothing.
No rain - no rainbows.
Miss sleepy
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:11 pm

Unfortunately, you're not going to find any reputable information that says people with Fibro shouldn't exercise. The opposite in fact.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:40 pm

i dont think the opening poster was complaining about being told to exercise i think she was unhappy with the way the doctor went about telling her - if someone told me i was to young to use a chair it would make me think they were saying i was lazy and had made myself ill.

also whilst we all know that exercise is good and necessary for fibro we also all know from experience that pushing through the pain is NOT good - and can be absolutely the worst thing we can do and that was exactly what this doctor told her.

for exercise to be any use it needs to be carefully planned and paced working with the patient not the patient ignoring pain and trying to push through it - that doesnt work.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby hamstergirl » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi everyone

I think we have all come across at some point rude and arrogant doctors who are not listening to us when were trying to tell them things. its so frustrating :banghead:

I think expecting anyone to do an hours exercise from nothing is irresponsible. I would think even an unfit person would struggle to do 1 hours exercise straight away let alone anyone with a medical condition.

I started my exercise program in Janurary 2004. I did one rep of an exercise and have been building myself up since then. I approx do 20 mins at the very most and only on a good day. Otherwise i stick to 10 mins. I went swimming on Sunday and swam for 30 mins the most ive ever done. For a doctor to expect you to exercise for an hour is just absolutely utter stupid.

If there is a next time i would listen to your body and put your foot down and tell him you have had enough for this session but will try to do more when YOU feel ready.

Lets hope you have a different doctor next time.

Take care

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby fabme » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:20 pm

I came on here because i was unhappy about the way i was told what to do, not what i was told. also the way he made me feel about being in the wheelchair.

i didn't expect to come on hear where i've only met warmth and friendliness, and be attacked with some of the posters comments. i will think twice before posting again
fab
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi fab

I'm sorry that you feel you've been offended. I will apologize if you feel my comment upset you. I am sure it was no ones intention to upset you.

We always have an ear to listen to everyone's moan and we all do it. I would like to think that all my comments were to listen and give words of support when someone needs it.

Please post again you a valuable member of this forum like each and everyone else.

Take care :grouphug:

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:19 pm

fabme wrote:I came on here because i was unhappy about the way i was told what to do, not what i was told. also the way he made me feel about being in the wheelchair.

i didn't expect to come on hear where i've only met warmth and friendliness, and be attacked with some of the posters comments. i will think twice before posting again
fab

Hi fabme...

Im so sorry to hear you felt attacked by some of our posters....
I can honestly say that im sure they didnt intensionaly post to cause offense.

We value all members and if you ever feel offended please contact me or one of the other moderators and we will look into it.

I would like to ask you to please stay with this forum, we are a friendly bunch and we give out good advice & support.

:hugs:

I have locked this thread for now for review...
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Next

Return to Doctors & Health Services