Honest Alternative Practitioners

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Honest Alternative Practitioners

Postby Jane » Fri May 05, 2006 11:45 pm

I had a deadline to achieve a certain level of pain management. Thought I would try acupuncture. Acupuncturist listened over the phone to my worst symptoms. said yes, fibro certain percent reached certain percent improvement in pain but she thought if she saw me she would just refer me to chiropractor. Gave me name of good chiropractpr but admitted he was some distance away. ( cervical spondywhatsit not fibro causing particular annoying symptom).

Couldn't get convenient appointment with lcol chiropractor. So opted for osteopath who was quite clear he could do nothing for fibro. But I said what about my neck.
Fibro no worse than it was before, neck improving. When neck sorted will go back to acupuncurist for leg pain.

PS

accupuncturist reccomended chiroprator (to be fair a Mc Timoney chiropractor) rang one number, receptionist said 'Oh Yes that is the type of coondition we deal with' I mentioned cervical thingy and fibro, still waiting for them to call me back.
Jane
Jane
UKFM Member

Postby Joo » Sun May 07, 2006 8:19 pm

Hi Jane, just thought I'd say that from past experience I would recommend McTimony chiropactic methods. I had problems with a practitioner of the British School of Chiropractic, and had to be 'repaired' by a wonderful McTimony chiropractor who put me back on my feet.....literally, when all else had failed.

Joo x
Smile - you might as well and it makes better looking wrinkles!!!
Joo
UKFM Member

Postby mairi » Sun May 07, 2006 9:34 pm

Hi, Jane. Be very, very cautious before you commit yourself. I speak as someone who has had both the worst of treatment and the helpful. Manipulation is dangerous but a very little gentle stretching can sometimes help. Some practitioners x-ray first to exclude some possible problems and check discs. (Remember these x-rays will show the bones, not the soft tissue.) Experienced practitioners can feel thickened tissue, slight misalignments of the small joints, etc. Do ask lots of questions especially about what he/she is going to do. With some doctors you instinctively know you will be in safe hands. If you have doubts, do not have the treatment on this very vital area of your body. McTimoney practitioners get a good reputation. Perhaps you could find another patient who goes to the one recommended and speak to him/her.
Good doctors give you notes of gentle exercises specifically for your neck and general advice so you can follow up the treatment.
Remember the neck and lower back, being opposite ends of the spine, can both be problem areas. Write down all your neck and head symptoms before you go.
Could tell you some gentle exercises for head, neck and shoulders if you wish.
Best wishes, Mairi
mairi
UKFM Member

Postby Joo » Sun May 07, 2006 11:08 pm

Yep, McTimony deserve their reputation too as far as I'm concerned but I can only speak for my own experiences. I heard about mine whilst standing in a queue at the bank!!! When I went to her first I asked her to tell me where I was hurting cos I wanted proof almost. Anyway, she did exactly that and I started treatment feeling like a crumpled suit of clothes and she 'ironed' out my probs over a period of about 18 months and also gave me great lifelong advice. At that time I wasn't aware I had fibro but the treatment I had was very gentle and at no time did she manipulate any joint, she just kinda straightened me up. I always appreciate what she did for me and that was about 10/12 years ago.

Just in addition to this is her name - Christine Southerton.
Smile - you might as well and it makes better looking wrinkles!!!
Joo
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services