G.P.COMMENTS

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

G.P.COMMENTS

Postby sultan60 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:51 am

Hi everyone, i have been unable to work since early last year, i have been advised to claim D.L.A which have been refused , i am now appealing. I asked coulld i have a copy of G.P. report and couldnt believe what i was reading, he had put good on everything no wonder i got refused :evil: i wonder if hes on the panel for D.W.P :evil:
sultan60
UKFM Newbie

Re: G.P.COMMENTS

Postby velvet » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:35 pm

sultan it is highly unlikely he works for the DWP or that he deliberately mucked it up. if you think about it a GP is actually the last person who will know what your day to day living problems are which is what DLA is awarded on. chances are that when you have gone to see the doctor you have taken reasonable care over your appearance and have tried to appear as genuine not a whiner - so that is all the doctor knows. OK you have said you are pain and it makes things difficult, that things tire you easily you have not explained that just crossing the room leaves you exhausted and that a simple short walk means you need extra painkillers and have to rest for hours.

GPs are not trained in either day to day living effects of conditions or in what is needed for a DLA claim. your experience is not unusual. i suggest going along to www.benefitsandwork.co.uk and have a look at their advice (you will be shocked at how much more the system demands than you thought). basically anyone applying for DLA is recommended to see their doctor before hand and go over everything with them so they get an idea of daily problems and so they understand what help you need. however i can assure that doing so will not necessarily work - i have just been turned down and am starting an appeal myself and although as yet i do not have the report my doctor did i do have the letter from him - because i asked for it in the first place - and know he will have been fairly accurate cause of what he put in the letter.

please dont think it is your doctors fault - the majority is the fault of the DWP themselves
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby smiler22 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:39 am

velvet how do i go about getting the report from my gp. as ive never seen one yet also can i ask to see it even if i have gotten my dla awarded to me . and do i have to pay for a copy??????
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby gillshutt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:33 am

Next time you fill anything out that needs a report from your GP like a DLA application... make a copy then go and see your gp and give it to him. My doc said he always calls people in for an appointment before he fills out a DLA statement, so he can have a chat and ask about each part. I don't think the are supposed to but I also don't see how the DLA people expect every gp to remember everyhing about each patient.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby velvet » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:09 pm

if you get a decision from DLA or IB or ESA that you disagree with and are appealing the GP report will be included in the "bundle" of paperwork that the DWP send you for the appeal - along with a copy of your form and any other evidence you sent in to them and any other evidence they gathered themselves from say an ATOS medical or contacting other people from your form. i think you can still ask DWP for a copy even if you are not appealing but it needs to be done soon after the award or they might have destroyed the paperwork

i dont know if you can approach your doctor direct for a copy - it probably depends on the doctor.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Did you let your GP know that you were applying and brief them on things they needed to know, such as how far you can walk without significant pain and whether you can cook a meal? That's often not the kind of thing we discuss with GPs but it's what they need to know if contacted by the DWP.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services