Fibro clinics

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro clinics

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:43 pm

I'm looking to find out where there are NHS Fibro clinics around the UK for a FibroAction project I'm working on.

There are quite a few, set up by rheumatology departments usually in NHS hospitals, but we rarely get to hear about them. The Department of Health doesn't keep track of them and getting info from individual PCTs is difficult and slow. So I figured lets see how many we know about between us! Note that I'm looking for clinics that are just for Fibro patients at this stage, not just a department that treats Fibro patients mixed in with other rheumatology (or neurology or pain management) patients.

So if you know of one not on the list below, or can add details, please reply! :)

Guy's Hospital, London
run by Prof John Davies
Notes: other consultants sometimes

Poole Hospital
run by Dr Selwyn Richards
Notes:

Salisbury Hospital
run by Dr Richard Smith
Notes: Physio, OT & hydrotherapy available in department

Bolton Hospital
run by Dr K Adams
Notes: Multi-disciplinary course run for Fibro sufferers

National Rheum Hospital, Bath?
run by ?
Notes:
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Re: Fibro clinics

Postby velvet » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:07 pm

i know the royal national hospital for rheumatic disease does run fibromyalgia coping skills courses lasting 4 days spread over 4 weeks but i dont know if this is what you mean by clinic or who runs them. although i was diagnosed there and attended the coping skills course i dont know if they have like a regular thing for just fibro sufferers - the coping skills courses are set up as and when and i believe when i was going through diagnosis the consultant and team were seeing all sorts.

not helpful i know but if i am feeling OK next week sometime i can try and find out for you - too tired and sore today had busy day yesterday.
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:49 pm

If you have details of regular courses, then yes, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. As long as it's an NHS service just for Fibro patients.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby pinksandblues » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:52 pm

my consultant said he was putting me forward for a place in his fibro clinic which is at University Hospital ,walsgrave ,coventry . wendy :)
pinksandblues
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:55 pm

Do you know the consultants name? We're going to try to contact all the clinics to find out what they offer.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby Lisa21 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:41 pm

I am going to the FM Clinic at Guy's Hospital, London soon.

I wondered if anybody on here has been and what they made of the experience.

Can they tell me if it helped them at all :?:
Fibromyalgia, Costochondritis, Hypermobility, Asthma, Crohn's Disease,PCOS, Vitamin D & B12 Deficiency
Lisa21
UKFM Member

Postby velvet » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:11 pm

oh crumbs just seen this thread again and remembered i was supposed to be phoning the min to check on their clinics :oops: have forgotten sorry

will try to remember next week
velvet
UKFM Regular

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:23 pm

velvet wrote:oh crumbs just seen this thread again and remembered i was supposed to be phoning the min to check on their clinics :oops: have forgotten sorry

will try to remember next week

If you have a contact name or number, that would help - we're going to try and contact all the clinics people mention to get details. :)
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services