Question about private consultation

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Question about private consultation

Postby Jibba Jabba » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:04 am

Would someone please be able to tell me what the first appointment would ential if I was to go private. I am so fed up with my Dr I am seriously thinking about seeing someone privately but I am a bit worried what happens after that if fybro is confirmed.
Thanks in advance
Julie
Jibba Jabba
UKFM Member

Re: Question about private consultation

Postby little_mima » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:16 pm

hi
I went privately after being told by my NHS rheumie that I had nothing wrong with me and she discharged me. My private guy diagnosed me in 5mins 'cause he actually checked my tender points. The NHS one didn't. :roll: The private one was also the first doctor I've ever had to suggest fibro, and I've had grand total 4 GPs, 2 gastroenterologists and 4 rheumies working on me with this.
The major difference I noticed was that I got treated as a person, rather than a patient. There is a big difference there. I was listened to, rather than 'hmmmed' at. And, maybe more importantly, I was believed, which is what I've wanted all along. Maybe it was a personality difference, but I've had other consultants on the NHS do exactly the same thing as my NHS rheumies. The chairs in the waiting room were also comfier :lol:
Yes, it cost £180, but it really was well worth it. The only thing I'd have to say is check with your GP before you go if they'll do the bloods that get offered. No point in paying a fortune for those on top of the consultation fee if your GP can put it on the NHS.
I haven't had a private follow up as I'm seeing my NHS rheumie on Monday, so I'll be able to confirm or deny my opinions of her. But all I got from the private one was a basic leaflet telling me about fibro, the sort of thing I could have found out from here. Buuuut, it didn't really matter, seeing as I was actually diagnosed.
Just my opinions. I don't think there should be a place for private medicine but it does work. I think so at least.
little_mima
UKFM Member

Postby Jibba Jabba » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi Little-Mima :wave:

I think the big thing is, as you say, being believed. I have had a chat with the private consultant's receptionist and she has suggested I go back to my Dr and tell them I have made a provisional private appointment. She also said that if I can get any tests done beforehand by my GP then all well and good but, either way, if I am diagnosed then the consultant can refer me back to my GP. I am starting to think that this is probably the best route for me. I need to know one way or the other as the "hurting all over" is starting to worry me. I had been taking Naproxin for a frozen shoulder (although my physiotherapyst is not convinced it is frozen) but this has not helped in any way and Co-codomol just makes me increadibly fuzzy and sleepy, although I did resort to taking this on Saturday as I felt so carp. The more I find out about Fybro the more I am convinced I have it. My bum is even aching whilst I am typing this. I get sharp, shooting and burning pains or dull aching in my arms, shoulders, neck and knees, restless legs, headaches, my hand feel like lead and ache so much, I feel tired all the time and never get a good nights sleep anymore. I feel nauseous, dizzy and my mouth is like sandpaper when I wake. I am also very tender, especially in my arm muscles and knees.
Thanks for responding Little_Mima, it has been a big help in my deciding what the best thing is to do.
Julie
x
Jibba Jabba
UKFM Member

Postby trev5452 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:59 pm

Thanks for this information, it has triggered me into doing just what you have done. I have been backwards and forwards to the docs and have been prescribed many antidepressants etc etc without any making a difference. Thanks for giving me this route, this condition is heartbreaking and I just want to make some small progress. I think it's awful that gp's [ don't have interest in FM or don't have the time ] not good.
trev5452
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services