Gp visit, Not a good visit :( .......

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Gp visit, Not a good visit :( .......

Postby vikki75 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:11 pm

Hi all,

Well im upset, angry, disappointed etc etc.
I saw my Gp today, OMG I am getting so sick of his attitued, Ive only been seeing him for about
6months ,( he's quite an old doc) the first time i saw him he wanted to stop half my painkillers and
when even we mentioned the fibro he would sweep it under the carpet, I take my hubbie to all appointments
so that i have someone to back me up, I was brought up to respect people in authority and the likes of Gp
so if they told me i needed something doing I was bascially to take their word for it, because of this I find it
difficult to answer back to my Gp and the likes, which is where my hubbie comes in !!.
Well today it was my usual monthly visit, and I got comments like we (ie my rheunmy consul n Gp) cant understand
where all your pain is coming from," your consultant doesnt think its rheumatoid arthritis", Fibro" doesnt
cause pain like this ( from stuff Ive read on here im not the worst) and the icing on the cake....
I've got, I dont quite know how to put it ..I have a long history from childhood to adult of things not been
good in and with my life (apart from my great hubbie and kids), alot of it is in my medical records and my
Gp has had a brief look over this and desided that we should go back and start at the begining and "work through things"
that my pain is more in my mind as a result of things that have happened, its my brains way of coping so it gives my
body the pain.
I have over many years seen many different councilers infact before the move I was seeing yet another one
and i asked to be transfered to a local one but was told by my new gp that I didnt need that now ??!!!, but here we
are some 6mnth later and thats what he wants to do, and im afraid I dont have that trust or repour with this gp to
even begin to talk, and im beginig to think he's going to have it put on my notes that my illness is pchological
not physological, he told my hubbie he wants him back to work ( hes my full time care at the mo) which goes to
implie that he's going to tell Dla I dont need DLA living allowence, its all sent me into a panic, I threw up when I came
out of his office, Im going to have to find a new gp, hopefully one that doesnt read what he says and have it as law!

God im sorry Ive waffled on for soooooo long I needed to vent off, my poor hubbie is sick to death of going over
and over it.

Thanks for listering/reading !!!!!!!!!

Vikki :needhug:
vikki75
UKFM Member

Re: Gp visit, Not a good visit :( .......

Postby tireesix » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:12 pm

i have similar issues to you, except for my DH and kids, my life has been crap HOWEVER that means jack all as far as I am concerned. I worked through it, I am over it and I got rid of a lot of the things that were making it crap.

It reached the point where last month I wrote a letter to my pain management doc and explained it all and it does seem to have helped.

Thing is, lots of people have crap lives, don't get counseling whatever and don't end up like this. I am not saying that in some cases it can cause physical issues but I cannot see how psych issues can cause all this. Besides, I have the best things I could ever possibly want, I have wicked kids, a fab husband who loves and adores me etc. The past doesn't matter to me, the future does.

It seems to me, the only people who can have fibro are those who have had perfect lives, well how many people have that? Not many that I know of.

The other thing is, I have suffered chronic pain a long time before a lot of my crap even happened so I would love to see them explain that. I have suffered pain since baby/toddlerhood, my crap really didn't start happening until I was about 7, so there explanation makes no sense to me what so ever.

the other thing is, having had a crappy life, why the hell would I want to inflict this upon my children? My husband? I want to be a good mum and a good wife and a good person, I want to work, to earn my own money, to have friends to have a nice house that I earnt, so why would I do this to myself? There is no reason for it what so ever.

I had a bad appointment today as well lol. So, sympathies!
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby vikki75 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:21 pm

WELL SAID!!!

So its not just me!

Vikki
vikki75
UKFM Member

Postby Mr.A » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:40 pm

This really sucks,

One thing worth mentioning is that you can request all of your medical records under the Data Protection Act (1998), so you'll know what you're GP's have put on there. It can cost more if the records are paper rather than electronic. However there might be a clause in there about information that may harm the patient, it's been years since I've read up on this stuff.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby vikki75 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:12 pm

Thats great to know thanks,
would you believe a while ago in january I asked for a print off of all my
blood test results since march 09, I said i was willing to pay and i wanted them
because id lost my book which my consultant gave me so he could see them at a glance rather
than shift through loads of paper, I also wanted them for my pain clinic appointment and to go
see my old Gp to get advice, my new gp refused, said my consultant had copies, pain clinic
didnt need them, and i had no need for them, it didnt matter what either myself or my hubbie
said, I still cant get copies.
Time for a change I think ??!!

Vikki
vikki75
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:14 pm

Sorry your GP is not on your side.
The NHS web site lists that fibro is a real illness and not all in our heads so print this off and show your GP it.
It would be interesting to see what is said.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Fibromyalg ... ction.aspx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Min » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:35 pm

Do find another GP, even if you have to travel there.
Donate for free to fibro & M.E. charities by using by using Everyclick as your search engine
Min
UKFM Member

Postby sharonplows » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:26 am

hi all
I went to see professor Davies today at guys in London, it nearly killed me off going because im not to well mow with fibro, any way I struggled and got there. Parking was a night mare, eventually found were I had to go and was called straight in , everything was so rushed he didn't really listen to what I got to say , I sat the night before and wrote everything down where i get pain et c because I new when I got in there my mind would just go, he didn't even look at at, I think he d got his stop watch on.
He eventually said I agree with your rehmatologist that its def Frbro, and he wanted my GP to start me on some different medication to see how that goes didnt tell me what all he said one was an anti depress sent.
I so pissed off about it ive gone all the way to London, to get some help and he s prescribed me anti- depressant , my pain is really bad at mow im so tired cant be bothered with anything and i feel that trip was a waste of time, im glad I was able to get it on NHS its well not worth two hundred pounds. I just don't no were I go next, is there nobody out there how can help do any of these doctors want to help people who are suffering with this condition.
Anybody got any advice please let me know.
sharon
sharonplows
UKFM Newbie

Postby gillshutt » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:25 pm

Was the anti d amitripteline (sp?) as this is prescribed in smaller doses for FM as it can help with pain and sleeping.
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services